Uses for Garbage Bags

Discussion in 'Recrafting and Modifying' started by ziskasun, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The humble trash bag. It seems so basic, but it is oh so useful. Here are 10 great things to do with a trash bag:
    1. Cover your backpack to keep it dry
    2. Cover your boots or socks to keep them dry
    3. May have to use them in a makeshift bucket toilet
    4. Thick heavy bags can be a raincoat or windbreaker
    5. Of course, for hauling and carrying
    6. Fill with soft debris such as leaves for a comfy place to rest
    7. Lay on it for protection from damp ground
    8. Fill it with snow and let it melt for drinking water
    9. To collect rain water and funnel into a container
    10. Can be used as lashing or rope

mike hampton likes this.
  2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    All of these are good ideas. And I have used trash bags for a couple of items on your list. However, using them for a rope I had not thought of.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Trash bags are great can make a shelter allso lawn and leaf oversized long bags of good quality a couple boxes of them are a must do not store food in them as it will make you ill !

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Larger ones can turn a dirty leaky old drum into a decent water tank!

mike hampton likes this.
  5. mike hampton

mike hampton New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I did this with an old plastic garbage can to supplement the dogs water. Rain water rather than city water. catch roof run off, siphon tubing to transfer to dogs water container as needed.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post! Some, not all, trash bags have been coated with a mild bug spray ... and they don't tell you; they simply say, "Not for use with food stuffs" or whatever. Since people have caught on, I bet manufacturers are using less.
    http://avivahwerner.com/2009/04/27/bulk-food-storage-and-garbage-bags/

Me I'm a nut and we've had really bad things happen to us, so I keep rain parkas and ropes and hardware and .... in my vehicles. However, most people drive small vehicles and don't have the bad luck we have, so it's no effort to simply throw some trash bags into one's car. If you are a male and/or you are from the South, you ARE required to keep at least one roll of duct tape (or Gorilla Tape) in your vehicle at all times. And then there is the matter of twine, ...

7. DeeFree

DeeFree New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I use trash bags when I dye my hair. I turn the bag upside down, fold it in half and cut one corner for the neck opening and two slivers for the arms. I then slip the bag over my hair and voila my clothes are protected against the hair dye. It's also good for when using spray paint.

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    The most unique uses of trash bag that I have seen is putting it as suit to be used like an apron when chopping messy food like grilled whole pork or called Lechon baboy in my country. It's convenient to use than apron because it covers your whole body so your shirt won't be messy.

9. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Another thing you can use them for, although this is not a survival technique, is that people can use them to make Halloween costumes. I once saw Martha Stewart make a very credible witches outfit out of a black trash bag. If you have kids, or even adults, who says you can't have fun even as a survivalist?