Using Hand Sanitizer For Starting Fires

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by John Snort, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Assuming that you are having trouble starting a fire for some reason and have hand sanitizer in your survival kit, you could use it for starting a fire.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are highly flammable which makes them great for starting fires. Just squirt some of it on your tinder and that's it . . .

Or "infuse" a cotton ball with hand sanitizer and use it to start a fire.

Caribou and hades_leae like this.
  2. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Most preppers I know have lots of hand sanitizer in their kits, so it can be a beneficial tool in starting a fire for sure. I have the stuff in my kit, but I don't use it in everyday life. I know people that use it religiously and too often and it has done nothing but completely dry out their hands to the point of pain. I'm a soap and water girl if it is available.

3. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    When I went camping, I actually only used rubbing alcohol because I did not want to worry about getting lighter fluid on my skin.

I had much fun actually because I remember spilling it on myself and freaking out, but then I remember that it goes on my skin anyway. It was the perfect opposite of lighter fluid and I would recommend it for others to use as well.

I did not learn about this until I squeezed the alcohol bottle over the fire by accident, I got mad about something and then the fire grew much larger when the alcohol hit it. I felt like I made a discovery.

Plus it's much cheaper to buy in volume vs lighter fluid.

John Snort likes this.
  4. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow, this is another crazy household item that can be added to the list. There are so many flammable items now that I can't say that I feel very safe around the house. I regularly move anything that I suspect of being flammable away from the stove now upon reading about how easy it is to start a fire. I