Using Shipping Containers As Homeless Shelters

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by blisstv, May 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. blisstv

blisstv New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    CJuH9A-oLCrWxaJt8HieZZNtScUowjoJ.jpeg
    Survival is key here. We need to create ways to provide shelter for the homeless that is efficient in terms of fire hazards, cleanliness and safety. I feel that shipping containers could be very beneficial in providing shelter for the homelessA creative space in a field donated by the state with health trucks and food.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Shipping containers are popular here as substitute for structures. Instead of constructing a shed or hut, a shipping container is better and more durable. However, there is an obvious downside which is the weight. You would need a crane to move it because it weighs a ton. And if you are done, you can have a comfortable shelter where you are safe at night.

3. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    There are multiple threads about this subject. Shipping containers are in my opinion the best read made shelter and permanent structure there is. It can stand high winds and earthquake proof. For those that are tech geeks, they will keep your electronics safe in case there is a EMP electronic magnet pulse. It is a steel structure that is ideal for any situation.

Here's a thread that I made months ago.

http://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/shipping-continer-homes.871/

4. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This is actually pretty cool. We could utilize old shipping containers that are not in use anymore to be converted into shelters!

The only problem I could see was where are we gonna these containers. I reckon we could construct villages made up of these types of houses? That would be really great if someone was to do something like that :)

5. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We've discussed the idea of placing one on our property for more storage. We haven't done so yet, but I think there is merit to the idea. They are pretty sturdy and relatively inexpensive.

6. Easyrider

Easyrider New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    They are viable where the workforce is too expensive in east europe, is cheaper to build a normal house from brick, cement and so on

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They have built apartments here with them and they are nice!!

8. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    They are uncomfortable in hot weather, and suffer inside from condensation. They also have a wooden floor, so not sure if they make a faraday cage.

My parents use one on their little farm for storage.

9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I love shipping containers. The uses are only limited by your imagination. Shelter, storage, barriers, on & on...
    If you live near a port where these things tend to pile.up, they are cheaper. Prices go up depending on the container condition, size & distance to final detonation.