Vegetables Which Can Grow Anywhere

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening' started by John Snort, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    When scientists were trying to find out which vegetables could grow on Mars equivalent soil, they found that tomatoes could grow in the harshest conceivable conditions.

To survive a disaster or if there's food shortage, you may need to grow your own food but since not all vegetables can do well in all climates you need to know which vegetables can grow virtually anywhere.

In addition to tomatoes, the following are the vegetables you should always plant first:

- Lettuce.
    - Cabbage.
    - Kales.
    - Radishes.
    - Pepper.
    - Squash.

More?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    1) We have never had any luck with cabbage because it attracts the cabbage white butterfly. Instead we plant silverbeet & chard. These will grow through our winters here.
    2) Squash is good & is of course one of the Three Sisters, the other two being Corn & Beans.
    3) You will never starve if you grow Jerusalem Artichokes. This plant is a member of the Sunflower family. It spreads slowly if not contained, but in my opinion is a very important root crop to grow.
    4) Rhubarb is the first fruit to produce edible fruit after the winter has passed, so I consider this an important one to grow.
    5) Potatoes seem to grow in most soils, some better than others, but they do produce.
    6) Don't forget to grow feed for your chooks. Corn & Sunflowers are good, but they will also eat all members of the squash family which include: Button Squash, Pumpkins, Zuchini & Marrow.
    Keith.

[​IMG]
    Tomatoes & corn. Over to the left you can just see one of five Rhubarb plants.

John Snort and cluckeyo like this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    That's true. Potatoes can grow in well-drained, loose soils, given these are fertile enough and They need a cool climate, consistent moisture and also need to be watched to prevent sunburn. Potatoes can be grown as a winter crop inside greenhouses in warmer climate zones. One should harvest all potatoes once the vines die, or the potatoes may rot.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    My best bet for food shortage is the immortal sweet potato. Aside from the root that is like potato, the vines are edible too. The young leaves are mixed in vegetable dishes and nutritionists say that it is good especially for growing children. But the best in sweet potato is the ease of growing. It is very prolific and the vine crawls a meter long after a month of planting. Some farmers plant sweet potato for animal fodder particularly for goats during the rainy season.

The sweet potato tuber can be cooked in several ways. The most common is boiling which can be eaten just like that. Another way is frying which is best with sugar for the dip. But my favorite is broiled sweet potato on open fire or charcoal. The sweetness is somewhat concentrated when it is broiled properly.

Tumbleweed and Keith H. like this.
  5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    We can really grow squash. Yellow, zucchini, butternut, acorn... I grows very well here. Another one that grows well is okra. We've done really well with black eyed peas also. Cantaloupes do quite well. We richen up the soil with a layer of turkey manure mixed with pine needles, which we acquire from the local turkey farm. We get trailer loads for free! That, and drip irrigation has made all the difference.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. slapdashmom

slapdashmom New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    My top three suggestions would be potatoes, tomatoes, and squash. My wife works at a farm with a 4-acre garden here in Arizona, and I'm amazed every day at what they are able to grow! They're also growing watermelon, which I didn't know could grow in such dry conditions but I guess it makes sense. She also grows zucchini, lavender, beets, swiss chard, etc.

7. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow, super veggies. Are there a lost of fruits as well? I know tomatoes are considered fruits because of its acidity level.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Don't for get growing white potatoes or sweet potatoes. Homesteading or other personal structures for you and your family will require lots of complex carbs for sustained energy. They are also quite filling and will help ward off hunger.

9. HealthandVitality

HealthandVitality New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the information John, I have been wanting to grow my own vegetables but I did not know which ones would be best, as the English weather is so unpredictable, I wanted something that I could maintain and not give up halfway because of the effort, any ideas would be welcome, thanks.

10. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in the UK and my mum grows her own veg, she has most luck with courgette, tomatos, strawberries, lettuce, cucumber and sweetcorn. There are probably more but they are the ones that I can think of.

11. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Cabbage and Coriander seems to be growing at any place possible. You can see that some of the time even the broccoli can grow easily in some places. I have seen some people growing carrots and the mint leaves. So it depends on the soil and weather how much it can grow for you. I think cabbage is very easy for any weather and soil type.

12. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Cabbage does not fair well here, snails, slugs & the cabbage white butterfly make it impossible to grow cabbage for eating.
    Keith.

13. OnTarget

OnTarget New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Chives seem to thrive, in a variety of conditions. And my mint plants spread like crazy. As mentioned by others, berries can be resilient.

14. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    I have interacted with many at a global level and notice that different vegetables need different climatic conditions. From the knowledge gathered I feel tomatoes will win hands down as they grow globally not matter what the conditions. A friend from an online gardening community had sent me tomato seeds. He is from the UK. I had great success upto the third generation I had used them in many dishes including tomato salad

tomatosalad.jpg

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It depends on what location you live to know what is easy to grow. As far as I experienced the most easy to grow is beans, corn, papaya, sweet potato and tomatoes. Our backyard doesn't have a good kind of soil but we had grown those crops.