Vertical Axis Wind Turbines

Discussion in 'Creating and Using Electricity' started by joshposh, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I was building a system awhile back and for some reason I never thought of constructing a vertical wind turbine. The upside to this design it that you wont have the problem of wind direction changes and then you need to unravel the electric cord that is connected to the alternator on top to the tower. By using a upright turbine it eliminates that.

ttAH4rJ_swRtXN27sGykmH7MfQuYk6zy.jpeg

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, I couldn't look at the video but it is interesting all the same. My research on this subject just points to the fact that it is a very expensive idea that would take something like 12 years to pay off. I will look on YouTube and see what I can find.

3. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    Its not expensive. If you can see the videos he spent very minimum for the used parts. An old car alternator can be used as well as bicycle parts and tires for the main axis. You must be looking at the manufactured wind turbines. These home made ones are made with things laying around. I think I can make one with $100 usd. Most of that will go to the grid tie inverter. The rest will be junk that most people discard.

richj8am30 and cluckeyo like this.
  4. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It is said that the most complete wind turbine can gather around half of the wind energy that it can muster from the wind. For this situation it appears that the turbine is bladeless and that may permit the wind turbines in this video the capacity to mute any opposition? Accordingly making it more proficient? There is a slight fan shape yet It is still essentially slight so it would seem that it can gather a great deal of wind better enabling it to deliver a substantial amount better of electrical current from wind power.

5. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    The barrels are split in halves. The wind doesn't pass through it. The barrel actually catches it and the full force of the wind will move the turbine. It is more efficient and can be made with parts laying around the yard or being thrown out by your neighbors.

richj8am30 likes this.