Warning Signs That an Earthquake is Going to Occur

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

Warning Signs That an Earthquake is Going to Occur 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    Earthquakes are a natural phenomena of the planet that can occur just about anywhere at any given point of time. Being prepared for an earthquake is only done by planning ahead. Thinking that this situation could never happen to you is exactly how people end up not knowing what to do when it does. Earthquakes will tend to give off warning signs from time to time if you are lucky. These warning signs are usually referred to as tremors or small earthquakes. When an earthquake is measured on the Richter scale at eight it will often be followed by a series of small trimmers also known as aftershocks. Based upon how frequent and how strong these aftershocks measure it is feasible to say that science today can help to determine if the fault line where these tremors are occurring is active.
    upload_2016-1-21_19-13-59.png
    Once determining a fault line is active the likelihood of earthquakes is increased substantially. There are maps and charts in which you may view the active fault lines in the United States and around the world. Having an earthquake preparedness plan in place will help give you the edge and a piece of mind that may just help to save your life for the life of others during one of these natural catastrophes. Have emergency supplies always storage inaccessible where you can get to them. You never know when the necessities such as food and water will not be easily accessible for long periods of time to you.

Deeishere likes this.
  2. AlexM

AlexM New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Very cool post! I've heard the tremors or small earthquakes that you are talking about referred to as foreshocks. Definitely the best way to predict an earthquake although they are hard to notice if you're not aware.

I've also read that erratic behavior in animals can be a telltale sign of an oncoming earthquake. Is that legit or just a myth?

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    We did not experience many earthquakes until companies start drilling for gas here in North Texas. Fortunately, the earthquakes have been very low. But you are talking to a large group of Americans that can quote book and verse about how to survive a tornado, yet nothing on how to survive an earthquake.

4. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Since we live in an area where we've never had an earthquake (at least as far as I'm aware of) being prepared for one isn't something I had really considered. It was one of those things where you think 'it would never happen here' which I realize isn't the best outlook to have on things. It's always better to be prepared, even if you don't end up in a situation where you have to use your supplies. I'm definitely going to start getting together an earthquake preparedness kit.

5. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

Now scientists are saying there is movement around the San Andreas fault in California. They are way overdue for a major quake. Scientists are saying that this fault line is both rising and sinking. I tell my family there to always be ready. I think a lot of people just don't want to think about it.

6. Amhart6970

Amhart6970 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Erratic behavior is the best sign, but you only have a few seconds after you can notice which isn't enough time. Plus, knowing how my crazy pets act like, if be under the impression that an earthquake is just around the corner about once a week. I've given up on trying to predict its occurance and just except that it may happen and be prepared for it.

7. QuakeringInTokyo

QuakeringInTokyo New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Currently in Japan where they get about 1500 per year. Felt two so far, the epicentre was quite far way so although one was 4.1 it only felt like 2 here. Just gentle shaking, wondering how could I tell the difference between foreshocks and weak quake?

8. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Very informative post! :) Let me just share my personal experience with a major earthquake that happened in my area when I was still a kid. Before the strong and long tremors, my mom and I were walking on the road to town and we heard a strong sound we've never heard before. It was similar to the sound of big rocks coming your way or a whole mountain crumbling down but you don't know where it's coming from because the sound was just too strong. Then we were shocked when the ground was shaking really hard after just a few seconds. I could never forget that day because it was the strongest quake I have experienced.

9. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    There is this guy name dutchsinse on Youtube that talks about earthquakes all the time. He actually has a method he uses to determine where and when an earthquake is about to occur. He is pretty accurate. I can't really say what his method is because I half understand it. LOL. But it is interesting watching him and his predictions.

10. giovanniiiii

giovanniiiii New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I never thought that there is actually signs for incoming earthquakes. I have experienced two minor earthquakes this year but it was both during I was my PC. I only realized it was happening because my desk is haking without me even moving. I shrug off the possible dangers of potential earthquakes until I came to this forum.

Realizing that small tremors could actually lead to a stronger earthquake, I think I should mentally prepare myself that an earthquake wouldn't wait for me to be ready for it.

I live in the Philippines and some earthquakes hit the southern part of this country last month and this month too.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, there may be signs that we could look for that would probably indicate that an earthquake is coming. However, in regards to being prepared I don't know it there is much that can be done in this regard, it's more like a matter of taking evasive action. We never know what will happen during an earthquake. Many structures could be demolished or swallowed up by caverns in the earth. You can't batten down and move to safer ground as you would be able to in the event of a hurricane.