Water Requirements for Survival

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    How important do you think water is in survival? Water is a very important resource when it come to survival. Some symptoms of dehydration are a dry sticky mouth, sleepiness, thirst, dry lips, headache, constipation, and dizziness. More serious symptoms can occur if you get to dehydration but hopefully, these tips will help. There are a variety of ways to obtain H2O some easy others more challenging, but it is vital that you stay hydrated to stay healthy and fight off illnesses. Bathing is optional with drinking water but jumping in a lake to wash up is more ideal. Now you need to know how much water you need to survive daily.
    upload_2016-1-21_3-28-34.png
    On average in a calm, moderate climate, you should be trying to consume at least one liter or more a day. But the situation changes in more extreme environments.For example in a very hot and humid climate like a tropical island or sometimes forest you need to consume up to three or four liters a day.Your body needs more water in harsh environments because our bodies are not used to these stressful situations in particular ones such as extreme heat or cold. Keeping fluids in your body will also help lift your spirits and help you stay motivated. Staying hydrated is just another battle in a survival situation.

TheJim and Ricky Jeringan like this.
  2. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Wile it is often quoted that one needs a gallon of water plus or minus for survival, this is only for drinking not for commissary and hygien. One should estimate 5 gallons a day, two for personal needs and 3 for commissary needs. This covers hydration, cooking and sanitation. This assumes water conservation is in effect.

TheJim likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have always been told we need 2litres(half a gallon) for drinking purposes alone, add in bathing, cooking and hygiene uses, I've generally allowed 5 litres or a gallon per person per day in my planning, just to be on the safe side, I think any more than that is over using especially if one is conserving water or it if the supply is limited.

TheJim likes this.
  4. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Two liters (1/2 gallon) is minimal for sedintary activity and mild weather (60f) the problem comes when one looks at long term survival. Cooking, cleaning, bathing, laundry and drinking all require water. Not to mention moderate to heavy labor in hot or cold environments.

TheJim likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you ever tried drinking 2 litres? that's a lot of water to consume, as for the rest unless one has an inexhaustible supply of water we have to be careful with our water consumption, the old fashioned "strip wash" will again be very popular.
    water consumption post SHTF will be very different than it is now with water literally on tap(faucet).

TheJim likes this.
  6. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Bud, most of you kids drink a two litter soda at one sitting, basic I drank two quart canteens on the way to the range, then after reffilling (and drinking a third) was forced to drink a forth because both my canteens where full. Been 30 years, buy I am a farrier now, and still down a quart of water at a time.
    Two litters per day is bare minimal for proper kidney function for a kid setting I front of a keyboard under the AC.
    I have taken plenty of baths out of a canteen cup, and the information you have available is vallad as far as it goes, but it's incomplete.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if I drank 2 litres i'd be spending all my time peeing!!! oh and I aint no kid, BUD!!

8. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    One one goes beyond bare nesesity for a week and starts planning to survive long term one has to think about dishes and laundry.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't be worrying about dishes and laundry after a week, when you've lived alone for long periods like I have.

10. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Lol, I tend to sweat it out. Yea I see your about old enugh to make a horse trainer ;-).
    We are arguing the point from only about 5 degrees separation. Their is a difference between keeping body and sole together for a week or two and keeping health and happy for a season or three.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    one week or two is water off a ducks back so to speak, i'm planning for something much longer term.
    i'm not sure how long it takes to make a horse trainer:p but I've "been around the block" a time or two!!;)

12. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Solo or a group? Men, women, children, animals all ad to the dinamic. I'm used to thinking in wife, two daughters (grown and replaced by two lovely grand babies) a string of horses and a grumpy ol' dog.
    I base my figures on personal experience and military logistics. But your mileage may vary...
    Not trying to be antagonistic, but two like minded individuals trading ideas (and calling each other on their BS when appropriate) it's never a good idea to get to thinking your the smartest kid at the lunchtable ;-)

13. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Good horse trainers have to live long enugh to consistently think above the waist. Any one who thinks trying to make a 1000 animal do something is a fool, (Larsen the sexist comment) much like a good woman, much healthier to figure out how to make them want to (even better if they think it's their idea ;-).

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my experience is based on personal dealings with other people, a life times experience of all sorts from hookers, drug dealers and users, Hells Angels to company directors and Lords and Ladies.

15. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Good, a well rounded circle of friends...

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have to deal with all sorts in a lifetime, and maybe will have to post SHTF too.

17. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    That we do, lol. Good to have some on on your 6

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not sure about that, not many people I trust, maybe about 3 I would trust 100% the rest-no way.

19. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    I understand that, believe me. I have been blessed with a hand full of friends, true friends. But the truth is you have to sleep some time, or catch the flue and can't check traps or collect fire wood. Wolves have packs for a reason. Worse case is to be alone

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would rather be on my own, really alone, than be with people I don't trust.

21. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Believe me, I understand. The real monsters in this world go on two legs and have pretty faces.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree about the two legs, not sure about the pretty faces though, some are dead ugly!!:eek:

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have always said, its not the event that will kill you, its the actions of other people that will.

24. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Or your own, lol.
    Don't forget, more often than not Angels wear unglued faces.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe, but i'll take my chances alone, I know what they are, with other people(not family) one never knows what they will do.
    I've been a loner most of my life so being alone isn't unusual for me.

26. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    I do understand the centament, infact I share it (tho I have less faith in all but a bare handful of kin). I believe it falls under the heading of good tactics, poor strategy. Short turm it works but long turn it's riskier. For me it's a case of my heart versus my head.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prepare long term, I believe in the long run the "die off" of the unprepared, the diseased and the addicted will take care of most of the undesireables, the few that are left we can deal with.

28. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir, problem is when the sheep are gone it only leaves the sccavangers/predators and the prepared. The prepared we can work with, the others we do have to deal with. If the world spirals back into feudalism I would prefer not to be a serf to an unjust "King" .
    Unfortunately, when you have a "lead, fallow or get the hell out of my way" mind set, "leaders" see you as a threat as, all to often do the sheep.

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think i'll be around long enough to worry about feudalism creeping back in.

30. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Ah, your an optimist! Lol

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    more of a realist.

32. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    It's my belief that violent hierarchy is the default for human society, it's what we fall back on. When every one is playing fair the strong protect the week and the week support the strong. Unfortunately the strong usualy start taking advantage.

33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think that just because feudalism was prevalent "back in the day", that it would happen again in a post SHTF environment, again I think what happens may be dependent on the "die off" and as 99% of my countries population does not prepare in any shape or form, and any who does is seen as "odd" or "weird" , I think that this die off will be huge, quickly escalating into the millions once the food stores are empty and the mains water and power is down.
    the actual number of survivors in a country of just over 64 million will be quite small, and smaller still in my rural area where the numbers are small to begin with(my parish population numbers only 2,000).

34. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    I don't fault your numbers but might I point out that most "informal" organizations are built on the fudal model? Organized crime being a prime example, but the topical clique at school works the same way.
    We see the same with "warlords" in the third world.
    In a situation where our current Goverment tanks, some one will move in to fill the power vacuum. Be it the local group of thugs, disinfanchised police/military or what ever. For y'all across the pond, it's worse as only 3 groups have fire arms, criminals, police and the military.

35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    and farmers, gun clubs and gamekeepers.

36. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    A fouling peice?

37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not sure what you mean.
    shotguns mostly.

38. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Fouling peices are a specialized type of shotgun for bird hunting

39. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have much experience with shotguns, wife had a .22 and a .410 when she was younger.

40. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    .410 is nice, mom has a mossberg pump. 3 ball .00 is available, and old .45 colt work as slugs. A single shot break open makes a nice survival hunting weapon.
    12 gauge pumps, with a short barrel (18" min in the US) is an excellent multipurpose survival tool and defensive tool. .00 lawenforcement loads have an effective range of 25m/y this will take most large game and peaple. Standard slugs reach out to 75m/y wile .50 callaber sabbited slugs have a range of 150m/y . Not a battlefield weapon but for forested urban inviroments it is a very effective weapon, wile also providing a good tool for hunting small-large game.
    Most shotguns are "fouling peices" with very long barrels and "chokes" to concentrate small shot for hitting pheasant, ducks and geese on the wing.

41. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Around my way six months of the year it is hot and humid like 35c in the day with minimums overnight of 25c
    Not really hot at all, but with 80 plus humidity sweat is a 24hr a day thing!
    Add some work in PPE and it was a regular thing to consume 8-10 litres of water a day
    with maybe one litre through your bladder!

I would be lucky to make sunset on day one without lots a water!

As to washing no water is needed when sweating heaps, just a good towel down is about it as you never really dry out!

But that is where I am! even in mid winter the thermometer rarely dips below 10c even over night!
    One record cold night it dipped down to 7c I bloody froze! nearly invested in a heater next day but have not needed it since!

42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm in a mild northern climate, dosent get too hot, dosent get too cold.
    minimum advised requirement is 2.5 litres or half a gallon per day, that's doing very little, not moving about too much, and that's just drinking and a bit for cooking. anything more and you increase the quantity.

43. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I honestly learned in Katrina that everyone's water need is different, particularly if you are considering sanitation and cooking, not just regular consumption. The amount of water consumption just simply needed for hydration is much different per person as well. A 6 year old child needs less water than a 220 pound man, especially one that is trying to hunt and find food for his family or is relatively active in one way or another.

44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    allow about 1 gallon(5 litres) per person per day in a mild climate and you should be okay.
    general advise these days is not to ration it too much, its better inside of you than not.