Ways to Make and Find Temporary Shelter

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by SurvivalGirl87, Apr 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SurvivalGirl87

SurvivalGirl87 Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Shelter is one of those important things you will need in any survival situation. No matter if it is a simple overnight incident or if it is a much longer extended period of time. Having a shelter will protect you from all of the elements and things that are trying to get you. Also, a shelter can provide a sense of security and a piece of mind for a person during a situation that is traumatic or stressful. This benefit in itself is a priceless one. Finding shelter or a building isn't typically difficult depending on where you are.
    [​IMG]

Making sure to assess your environment and surroundings is important when establishing a shelter. You don't want to put yourself in an area that is susceptible to flash flooding, rock slides, or in danger of having large branches from trees fall on your shelter. At the same time any of the locations where these incidences may occur can provide superior shelter when needed.

aelW6Pt3X4OHevTKLo4AyzERINZ_kG2n.jpeg
    Finding shelter is as simple as looking for a cliff face with an overhang, a small cave entrance, or fallen trees that will provide shelter from rain sun and wind. Obviously, if you are in a city survival scenario shelter may be easier to come by then if you are in the wild. If you are in a snowy environment, you will want to build yourself a basic igloo in order to block out the wind and help reduce the cold. When building a shelter, you can make one by using logs and fashioning them together like a Lincoln log home, or you can simply lay them at an angle and cover them with foliage to help make a roof. Obviously, the sturdier your structure is the better your shelter will be.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Remember when buying tarps cheap ones dont hold up long and buy black or green to stay a little less visable. Those pretty blue ones are too easy to see and glow in the dark when light is added

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post SurvivalGirl87. I always keep an eye out for natural shelters, just in case I should need one some day. Burnt out termite mounds, hollow trees, hollow logs, anything like that can be useful in an emergency. Mostly though on a trek I carry my oil cloth shelter, so I can set that up anywhere that is suitable.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    One other thing to consider is that in some situations, you may not need to make a shelter at all. The simple truth is that there is nothing wrong with tossing down a bedroll and simply sleeping out under the open sky like the old time cowboys used to do. The recon team I was on never once pitched tents on the missions that we ran. We would find a night logger site, crawl into it and bed down. With what we would do was find some thick brush, get inside of the brush area, mash down the brush and arrange our sleeping positions so we were all close together. That way all we had to do was touch each other if a problem developed.

Now, if we were going to be in an area for several days or weeks, that was when we would set up a low profile poncho tent and use brush to camouflage it. Most of the time the tent was used for the radio gear to keep it out of the rain if there was a sudden downpour of some kind.

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Poncho and poncho liner im home yes it works well most tho a shelter is protection a feeling im safe its a comfort in a bad sitution a good shelter holds gear supplys you gives you a base to work from if water food and safe dont move if danger comes grab and go start over in different placeto a family group it gives them a feeling of its ok and we are going to be ok

6. jahroberts

jahroberts New Member
      0/0

Blog Posts:
    This is definitely a thread I'm going to refer back to!

I really need to develop an eye for these sort of things, rather than just looking at a tree like "Oh it's a tree" or "Oh theres a little hole in the rocks" I SHOULD be thinking how I can utilise it like "Oh I can crawl into there!" or how I can use something with something else to get an advantage!

Thanks pal!

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Remember when building shelter that low to ground is easy quick and harder to spot less to heat and maintain

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    There are a couple of other things, some of which that were touched upon, that I want to stress about shelter. First, shelter is not necessarily needed to sleep, but if you aren't moving, in the long term, it is ideal for many reasons. Virtually anything can be of use when trying to build a shelter, but in an emergency situation, the less visible you are, the better. You have to remember that if we are in a true apocalyptic situation, people that are ill-prepared will become desperate for the things that you have so carefully stored and planned for. They will try to steal, buy, or potentially harm you for these things. Therefore, having a shelter that isn't made from bright objects or isn't somewhere out in the open as much will better serve you than something obvious that serves as a beacon of hope for desperate people. Not trying to scare anyone, but it is definitely something we all should think about!