Weirdest Survival Story?

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by jahroberts, May 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jahroberts

jahroberts New Member
      0/0

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone,

First real thread here,

What's the weirdest thing that's happened to you while being out 'surviving'?

Can be weird/funny/scary or whatever you feel like sharing :) Being new to all this I don't really have any stories but I'd love to hear yours!

2. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I thought it would be a good idea when I was 18 to go camping alone to see if I could "rough it" for a few days by myself when I just graduated high school. I was doing just fine catching fish, cleaning them and eating them on a fire I created (and felt very proud) until around bedtime. I thought I heard something in the bushes and trees behind me but when I saw nothing out there, I just thought it was an animal and let it go. I ended up falling asleep on a grassy patch under the stars and woke up to a very loud gunshot. I sat straight up and grabbed my knife (my father NEVER let me live that down because you "never bring a knife to a gunfight") and started moving towards my "climbing tree" which was next to my mini tent. I waited in the tree for about half an hour scanning the trails and area under the moonlight and made my way back down to land. I decided that whoever was out there with a gun had gotten what they needed and took off. I crawled into my tent, and got ready to get under the blankets and felt something warm and hard in there. Another "survivalist", who was drunk, happened to be in the area and thought my tent was his, and he was sleeping, all warm and cozy in my tent! He had also eaten all of the remaining fish that I had set aside, and he dove into my emergency snack kit that my mom insisted that I took with me. Me, being the kind hearted person I am, let him sleep it off in my tent while I napped off and on in my climbing tree until morning. When he woke up, he was just as confused as I was. We managed to find his tent together and went fishing that afternoon with his family, who had been up all night looking for him.

My initial reaction was to freak out and issue a beating on him, but I'm glad I didn't because although he ate all of my supplies, I learned something from him. I had to be vigilant and ready to defend myself while keeping in the shadows. It was quite the experience!

3. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Wow! I really enjoyed your story. I admire that you were doing that all on your own, and so brave. I can't lie I would be terrified had I found a stranger in my tent. I think this is why I don't go camping frequently. You never can be sure how safe you are behind a tent.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    good job it was just a drunk.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I used to go spearfishing for sharks back when I was young and bullet proof.
    I had had a successful morning with four good sized sharks all just over 2m long!
    Wanted just one more but the only decent sized one was hiding under a huge rusty steel plate part of an old shipwreck!
    I had a nice shot through a hole in the plate but it was too small to retrieve the shark from.
    In my wisdom I decided to pull the shark out by the tail then shoot it, well the shark had other ideas and after a lot of struggling it latched on to my guts
    and clamped down!
    I was getting rather annoyed by then as it was too close to shoot it with my huge speargun!
    So I got my knife out and stabbed it in the head with my knife in one hand and gripped it at its neck really tight as I did not want it getting loose.
    After a dozen or so good brain stabs the thing was done! hardest part was only breathing when I rotated with snorkel up above the surface, nearly choked a few times.
    Feeling rather proud of myself I headed to my entry/exit point and dragged its sorry carcas ashore, I had my last shark but then realised not all the blood was the sharks!
    As I had a wetsuit on and it was winter and cold I could not feel the shark bite at all but the blood dripping told me otherwise.
    I sat for a while getting my breath back and my composure! what to do now?
    I decided to first of have a look so walked down to a decent sized rockpool getting a decent amount of waves through it and carefully unzipped my wetsuit!
    And washed the blood away half expecting half my guts to fall out!

What a disappointment! there were several rows either side of my navel with hundreds of holes oozing blood but they were just little holes ! no big rips or tears.
    Got the wetsuit completely off and rinsed of once more and within a few minutes they mostly stopped bleeding, I wrapped a towel around me and went home via the fish and chip shop
    to sell the sharks as they were worth a weeks wages at my regular job!
    Home was just me then so I washed again and sat in the sun giving the guts some sunshine!

Two weeks later all the scabs were gone just leaving white spots and after six months even the white spots went!
    I can still see them under the right lighting conditions but have not bothered for years!

It took a while before I went sharking again!

jeager likes this.
  6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My weirdest experience took place in Portland. I don't remember what had happened the previous night, but I'm assuming I was drinking a bit and ended up somewhere random. I woke up in a shed-like hut with someone standing over me. I felt like I was in a movie. I assumed that this person was going to hurt me, but instead the man shouted, "welcome to the secret hut!" He was very excited when I woke up, which didn't help my fear. When all was said and done, he brought me into hit hut in his backyard. He felt like I was in danger the previous night, so he decided to let me stay in his backyard. He turned out to be one of the nicest people I've ever met and I was grateful for his help.

7. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    This is a type of story not to be forgotten! Lucky you that they were just little holes.

jeager likes this.
  8. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    My story is nothing else but "funny" and a little bit "awkward". My ex-boyfriend knew I love to go camping to the woods nearby, so he decided to make a date out of it. When I offered my help with packing he said that he'll get everything we need, so don't worry. Okay, I wasn't worried because that forest is kinda safe. We went there with our bicycle, set up a nice camp and then started to drink, beceause by "packing" he meant a lot of alcohol, a little food, a knife, the tent and a flashlight. When it started to get darker we decided to continue drinking in the tent. I won't go into much details but we suddenly heard a voice. I knew it's possibly a wild boar, but he freaked out, closed our tent and we had to sit there in complete silence for HOURS. Even if that animal left already, we just set there, without making a noice, looking at each other. I don't know what you guys think, but for me, that was totally awkward. He didn't even slept, because he was afraid that the "thing" will come back and kill both of us.
    As I said, this camping place is not dangerous, we go there with my friends in every month, without a single problem. If we hear a voice, we stay calm and quiet, but that's all.

9. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    One time camping SD it became extremely windy windy extremely fast. There were tornado warnings all over the news. My then husband I had already pitched the tent, but since it was storming and blowing so hard we sat in our vehicle. I had him pull the car away from the tree. The tree branch did not blow down on us, but our air mattress blew out of the tent and was located on the other side of the campground. When the storm passed, I went to sleep in the tent..while he slept in the car. The next day we heard a camper had been killed, likely by the same storm when a huge tree branch came crashing down on the tent they were in.

10. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I was in the Boudary Waters of Minnesota canoe camping when a vicious t-storm came upon
    us.
    We saw a big tent about 50 ft. in the air go out of sight!
    I hope no one was inside!
    The nest day we went canoe fishing and caught wind broadside and over we went!
    45 degree water and I can't swim!
    I swam!
    Like to have froze 'till we got a fire going and dried off.

I was in the far north of Canada bear hunting.
    We split up to try and ambush a bear and I hid in some tall grasses.
    I heard animals behind me and gave me the creeps.
    WOLVES stalking me.
    Last time I did that.
    Didn't get a bear either but the fishing was great.
    I finally did get a bear a couple years later.
    They taste like crap and I never shot another.
    45-70 with a 300 grain bullet at 40 paces. Dead right there.

11. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I read about this woman who got lost in a forest for a couple of days. The search party started and were looking for her, when it turned out she unknowingly joined the search party herself, and was searching for herself the entire time. It was a strange case, and I think it's more of panic/hysteria involving the people searching, since they were probably too busy looking for any signs of the missing person, that they never seemed to stop and ask about the newer ones who decided to join in. It was an amusing story, and I guess nobody got hurt, but it was still weird in the case of an absent minded victim and search party.

12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Not really survival but funny.
    I was hunting deer with a fellow and his son.
    The son was decent but the dad was 5 fries shy of a happy meal.
    He was a genius, a nuclear metals engineer.
    NO common sense.
    I heard him fire a shot and thinking he bagged bambi he might need help as I'm
    sure he wouldn't have a clue how to field dress the thing.
    There was fresh snow on the ground and I saw the guy looking down tracking
    something.
    Did he wound it and was following a blood trail?
    "I'll go help him." I thought.
    I quickly noticed the "blood trail" didn't look at all right as there were NO
    deer tracks! Hummmmmmmmmm.
    I saw the guy was bleeding from a scope sight cut across his forehead.
    "Alan! You're tracking your self!"
    whooooooooooo-boy!
    I quit hunting with the guy, not because of the cut on his head but he shot at
    deer hundreds of yards away with a 12 bore slug.
    No way he could hit anything.
    Then there was the time he took us fishing on Lake Erie in a 20 foot boat
    in gale force winds.
    8 to 10 foot waves. Scared me to death.
    Clueless.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    thats the sort that will get you AND themselves killed.
    yet another reason I have nothing to do with others.

jeager likes this.
  14. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree. These days I hunt on my own place and alone.
    If I need help I have a cell phone.

lonewolf likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
  16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Then there was the time in around 1970/71/72 or there about.
    Twinsburg stamping plant.
    A guy came in shooting, killed 13, wounded about 40.
    I was in the aisle walking to medical for a minor cut and saw people running, some
    were bleeding, heard a popping sound, lots of popping and thought
    "someone's gonna get fired for those fire crackers." DUH!

Then this guy comes around the corner with a gun in each hand and one in his belt.
    So I think he might be selling them but he could get fired for bringing guns
    into the plant.
    DUH!
    So he's maybe three feet from me and I say "HI!" wanna se..................?
    He sticks the gun at my nose and shoots twice!
    And missed!
    I believe 100% he just didn't want to shoot such an innocent looking
    young fellow.
    But then he shot a young man who took over my machine right in the back.
    The victim yelled "hey you hurt me with that black gun you #$^%^%$"
    as blood spurts from his entrance and exit wounds.
    .38 Super auto it was. One was a .22 and one a 9mm all autos
    and he had 200 rounds of ammo on him.
    An fellow ran and hid behind some pallets and took two 9 mm rounds from top
    to bottom of both lungs.
    He survived also and a good thing that factory had a fully equipped
    4 bed hospital.
    2 nurses on duty at all time, 24/7/365.
    Stamping plant, sharp steel, we got cut frequently.
    Then I became a cop.
    13 major injuries as a cop.
    Back broken 4 times, 3 concussions, hands broken, right wrist broken
    so badly I couldn't fire a pistol for 9 months.
    Had to learn to shoot lefty.

17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I gotta quit remembering this horrible stuff.
    22.5 years as a police officer, 13 serious injuries but the worse injury is
    my messed up mind.
    p.t.s.d./depression/alcoholism.
    Nice huh?
    When a sergeants opening became available I thought "GREAT!" I'll
    go back into uniform and take over a shift. Better than getting called from home
    to investigate a murder, rape, etc.
    No such luck. They made me Chief of investigations so I had to get called out
    more often.
    Days off, holidays, it didn't matter I had to go. 4th broken back did me in. 9 months
    in physical rehab. Grueling and painful but I walk normally.
    Can't run, no need to run, won't run...........I'll shoot!
    No one is going to hurt me again.
    I have a stainless steel & Teflon implant for a right knee.
    A partial implant, half of it is artificial.
    It's all good.
    Had it not been for my injuries I wouldn't have the education I have.
    Two science degrees, human resources and manufacturing engineering.
    Two incomes, police pension and social security.
    $5 k monthly. It's all good.
    A decent disability retirement and I'm allowed to make $600 a month if I care too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  18. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I gotta quit remembering this horrible stuff.

Woe is me is getting a little repedative!

19. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

o.k.

20. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I once hit a sea stone while swimming and it tore my toe finger, a clean cut you wouldn't believe was made by stone. What follows later was a devastating panic because I taught I was attacked by some animal. I went down to access the situation and saw the dreary stone there. I had to swim effortlessly to the shore, not far, it was a beach and looked around for first aid. I vowed never to swim alone and more than 20m on a beeach.

21. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't know where you're from but for me "voice" means sound coming from a person, and "noise" comes from the environment or animals in the area. By the way you told the story I read it as a "voice" [of a person] outside your tent and I was freaking out while reading the story. I've read countless stories about campers being visited by people who frequent the forest trying to freak people out, to serial killers who target lone campers ala horror movies. So if that was just a boar, I'm sure you would have been fine. If someone was there watching you guys, that would be a different thing altogether.

22. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I survived alcoholism influence from my friends thanks to my Irresponsible Alcoholic mother,
    when i was in high school all my friends were Alcoholics and they were being controlled by alcohol that they couldn't think of anything better, so being with them all the times they kinda wanted me to be like them, i did don't hate Alcohol but i like to control it and never allow it to control me because my mother is an Alcoholic and was a bad mother in the world, she did lots of horrible things a mother can do to her daughter including abandoning me because of alcohol, and the more I grew up I wanted to be different to her with every aspects of life so I got to be strong and acted different than my friends and to make the long story short my friends accepted professional helps and now they are okay, but if I was not careful i would be like them and there would not be anyone to help us because I was the one who convinced them to get help.