Whеn shоuld yоu fаkе dеаth tо survivе а wild аnimаl аttасk?Whаt dо yоu think?

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Goodman, Jul 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Goodman

Goodman New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I suspесt thаt plаying dеаd is mоst еffесtivе whеn thе аttасking аnimаl is а) nоt intеrеstеd in еаting yоu, b) is highly tеrritоriаl, аnd с) is rеlаtivеly intеlligеnt - spесifiсаlly if it is influеnсеd by еyе соntасt аnd оthеr bоdy lаnguаgе - еspесiаlly оur primаtе bоdy lаnguаgе.
    Sо my сhоiсеs fоr аnimаls I wоuld try plаying dеаd with (аs а mеаns оf survivаl) аrе:
    - Mоuntаin gоrillа (Gоrillа bеringеi bеringеi)
    - аfriсаn еlеphаnt
    I hаvе thrее nоtеs tо mаkе thоugh.
    - First, I'm nоt соnfidеnt аbоut plаying dеаd with а grоup оf аngry gоrillаs. Thеy аrе likеly tо usе yоu fоr а tug оf wаr. But if соnfrоntеd аnd struсk by а singlе gоrillа, thеn it mаy bе hаppy еnоugh thаt yоu аppеаr tо bе аt lеаst unсоnsсiоus.
    - Sесоnd, а fеаturе thаt wоuld nоrmаlly disquаlify а саndidаtе frоm my thinking is thе аnimаl's саpасity tо flаttеn а humаn skull with а singlе fооtstеp. Hоwеvеr еlеphаnts hаvе dеmоnstrаtеd spесiаl rеspоnsеs tо dеаth аnd if givеn littlе сhоiсе, I wоuld trust thе еmpаthy оf аn еlеphаnt оvеr (sаy) thе lеssеr mаss оf а girаffе оr buffаlо.
    - Third, I wоuld prоpоsе thаt plаying dеаd is а supеriоr strаtеgy whеn dеаling with аn аnimаl thаt is built tо сhаsе аnd kill а flееing аnimаl, suсh аs а wоlf оr lеоpаrd, but оnly if yоu саn plаy dеаd аnd fаll insidе а mеаt sаfе. Thеsе prеdаtоrs wаnt tо tаstе blооd аnd tо thеm, plаying dеаd just mеаns yоu wоn't strugglе аnd spоil thе dining еxpеriеnсе. (Sоmе sаy thаt struggling is аn еssеntiаl pаrt оf thе dining еxpеriеnсе.)

Bigman.Chris and Nycto_Hunter like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    animal predators around here aren't a problem, its the human ones i'll have to watch out for Post SHTF!:p

Nycto_Hunter likes this.
  3. Nycto_Hunter

Nycto_Hunter New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    This is a good question, and one that I've put a lot of thought into myself, being that I live around deep woods and it is not uncommon to encounter wild animals. However, my conclusion to this issue, is to not play dead at all, but to try and match the animals aggression instead. There has been plenty cases when playing dead has deterred wild animals and saved lives, but there has also been a number of cases where showing aggression and fearlessness towards aggressive animals has saved lives as well.
    Let's look at it from an animals perspective, like a bear for example. Bears are hunters, they feed on living creatures as well as other natural edibles such as berries. When a bear hunts for live prey, it knows that it's common for it's prey to run and try to get away right? Like us humans, animals do not wish to get hurt, and most of the time if an animal feels like it can get away from a threat, it will. Showing aggressive behavior would automatically let the bear know that you are not prey, but a predator. This may not always be helpful if you are facing down a bear with cubs. A bears defense can be just as deadly as it's offence. In this case, maybe playing dead could do the trick. It can be hard to determine when are the best times to play dead, rather than show aggression. My opinion is that if a wild animal shows immediate aggression towards you, as if it wants to eat you, matching the aggressiveness can prove quite helpful. If the animal appears to be defending it's territory or it's young, then yes, it may be best to play dead or slowly move away from the area in a backward motion without exposing your backside, for this may give the animal the impression that you are, in fact, prey.

Always remember to avoid going out into the wilds unprotected, and to do your best at giving dangerous animals there space. These can be the differences between life and death.
    Thank you for reading

Nycto_King

Bigman.Chris likes this.
  4. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Faking death (thanatosis) is pretty common in the animal world - not only with the opossum which I think is the most known animal to use this strategy, there are also many others. For them it's usually pretty effective, but for men I don't think is the best way of action.
    Those animals have often some kind of strategies to actually seems dead, like special smells... humans can't do that.
    Animals can't be fooled that easily just standing still on the ground, and probably faking death would be even more dangerous than actually facing the animal with a proper strategy.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    it may be okay to use this in some circumstances but I think for humans this is putting ourselves at risk, we cannot protect ourselves if we are playing dead, so its not something I would personally do.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I think it depends on the kind of animal. For example a lion or tiger, I don't think playing dead will be effective. Based on the documentaries that I had seen, those big felines continue to attack even when the prey is already dead. The best thing in that case is to fight back or escape. With a bear, there is a chance to survive when you play dead because it cannot clearly see objects that are near. With crocodile, it is the same as the bear that if you stop moving, the crocodile will also stop attacking you. But for me, I would rather gamble by escaping than playing dead.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I've read news and stories of instances where people played dead during a bear encounter and the bear left them alone. I think for the most part unless the animal is really hungry and looking for a meal, they leave people alone if they don't disturb them. Those attacks are usually from people going into the animal's territory and making a mess of things. If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.