What about long term loss of power?

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by branchd77, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    What are some preppers suggestions for the long term loss of power if you live in the city? Generators only can last for so long. What about solar?

Jason likes this.
  2. Ronald Mckeller

Ronald Mckeller Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am definitely not an expert here, but I would bet a good solar setup would be all you would ever need.

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Correct, a good setup with spare parts on hand will mean the difference between have and have not, don't really need power but it helps.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    loss of power would be a biggie for most people.
    a solar set up is good but it needs to be placed in such a way it cannot be seen by others as that will give away your location.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have only had electricity in our houses since the 1930s, so for anyone alive today a total collapse of the power grid would be a major catastrophe, most of the population would not survive especially if it happened in winter, even for a relatively short time.
    personal systems need to be put in place so that you can still cook and boil water and heat your home in an emergency.
    don't forget its not only home circuits that would go down in a power down event, ATM's wont work, shop tills wont work, automatic doors, lifts and elevators wont work, petrol pumps wont work so no fuel at filling stations, eventually mains water will stop and sewage wont be treated, traffic lights wont work and many other things too.

6. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Once, when I lived in Indiana, in a decent sized city, we lost power in the whole place for 7 days. It was sheer chaos. It was the dead of winter. People were freezing. Places like Lowe's, Walmart, and Home Depot ran out of kerosene heaters instantly. Then, there was no kerosene to be had anywhere. There were companies that brought in tons of generators on semi-trucks and sold them for outrageous prices and people bought them because they couldn't live at all without power. It was crazy. As for me, I was fairly poor and on my own at the time. However, I stayed really warm. The first thing I did was isolate myself to one room of the apartment. I chose my bedroom because it wasn't far from the bathroom and it was much smaller than the kitchen or the living room. Then, I fashioned a heater and stayed nice and toasty. It saved my life! Here is a link for how to make one yourself: http://www.instructables.com/id/Flower-Pots-Tea-Lights-Heater/ Basically, you just need a metal pan, two flower pots and tea lights. It works amazingly well for one room that is sealed off. I stayed nice and warm for the seven days and it cost me about $6 in tea lights.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In 197, Manila was hit by Typhoon Yoling which rendered Greater Manila with a month-long power outage. The ravaging typhoon destroyed houses and countless of electric posts. Adding insult to injury are the thieves that stole the electric wires that were dangling almost everywhere. That's why it took more than a month before the electric company was able to finish the rehabilitation of the electric posts and wires.

We were lucky to have shifted to LGP stove a few years before the calamity. For those using electric stove, they had to make do with firewood or charcoal. It is a common site for a mother to be cooking right on the side of the street with hollow blocks or stones for the stove fueled by firewood or charcoal. And for the night light, it is either the candle or the oil lamp. It was the month of November when the weather is quite cool at night so at least we didn't need the electric fan. Can you imagine that school children were jubilant despite the calamity? There were no classes for 1 month in all levels.

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Shortly grid power-outs will not bother me at all as I will be fully off grid.
    but in the meantime I have a decent silenced generator with several barrels of fuel.
    I have a small solar setup with batteries and inverters.
    I can power all of my home for quite a while but will need to trim my useage somewhat so not to need the generator much
    By my reckoning I have enough fuel to get me by with my solar for several years.

Major changes are coming though but are about a year away!

9. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I don't know anything about electric unfortunately. I too think solar would be the best route. I would probably try to find a solar plant or a library with books on how to make your own solar panels. If things every turn disasterous I doubt there will be time for me to research in a library. I'm afraid that will be my only option of learning how if I don't hurry and expand my knowledge

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a long term situation, that electrical generator that all those experts recommend will end up as a glorified garden ornament unless of course, you intend to store an ocean of fuel and a mountain of spare parts.
    solar panels can and do last past 3 decades, but the inverter, batteries and electronics you plug it into, wont.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    why leave it until AFTER? why not do it now?
    being a prepper means "being prepared" , leaving it until something happens is not being prepared. its being a sheeple.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  12. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think you need to have multiple sources of alternative power - always back up your back up! So, solar - yes, definitely - but realistically, how many panels can you have if you live in an apartment? Probably just a of couple of small ones you could hang out of the window or, if you are lucky enough to have a balcony, place on there to charge up small items such as solar lights/radios and the like. For lighting, wind up lanterns/solar lanterns would be a good place to start. If we are talking long term as in weeks or more, then a mental adjustment as to how you are living will be required. You get up when it gets light and you go to bed when it's dark. You certainly won't be concerned with using laptops or any type of electrical 'luxury'. Getting through the day is going to be your main priority. A couple of wind up radios would also be a good idea. Lots of batteries for torches, lots of gas canisters for camping stoves as you can't BBQ indoors (and in a long term SHTF situation you probably wouldn't want anyone to be able to smell the fact that you have a) food and b) a means to cook it!

Keeping warm would be an issue in the winter - so like e one of the previous posters said, get used to living in one room and insulate it well by hanging heavy quilts/blankets up at the doors and windows. Get good sleeping bags, wear layers, cook in that room also and you get some heat generated from your camping stove.

Always, always, always have more than one method of heating/lighting/cooking. That would be my best piece of advice to anyone. Back up your back up.

13. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Lighting at night is problematic!
    White led light is cheap and efficient but wrecks your night vision!l

So for general lighting a yellow/red light is best as it wrecks your night vision the least.
    And use white led headlights for spot work only.

14. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think the loss of power shouldn't terrify anyone. You may be forced to move out of the city or away from any place you stay in for a while to find safer places to be in. As long as you know how to preserve food [no need for a freezer], you wouldn't need electricity.

In any case if you don't want anyone knowing where you live, you don't want the lights or the generator's noise drawing unwanted attention.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    don't you believe it.
    they'll all be screaming their heads off fast enough.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    now that's a different subject entirely, generators will only function whilst you still have fuel, so short term only.
    light and noise are something we will all have to monitor, so not to give away our location.

John Snort likes this.
  17. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I intend to prepare. I was mainly referring to short term(like one minute from now). I've already been lucky enough to find this site, and I'm definitely going to use it to my advantage. I've been working on a list of supplies, and buying what I can afford. I'm still working on building a life so money is scarce. Research and knowledge are my best hope at this time.

lonewolf likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    prepping dosent have to be expensive, start with the basics first, food, water, heat, light, and a decent first aid kit.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  19. Westbay

Westbay Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Long term loss of power might result to one going on a self reliance, my family used to have a camp house in the woods we were drilled we made our own fire from broken tree branches and basically ate locally cooked meals hot pot on fire you know old school type so I grew up getting used to this using lanterns and local oil lamps, it was fun then but if such happens now I guess things just go way up, there's no need to worry too much about food the major thing is to locate natural fresh clean water purifying it by boiling this kills the germs in it and makes it suitable for eating we can survive so long without food as long as we have water to drink.