What do you keep in your car in case of emergency?

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by QtheMyst, Jun 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a few basics in my car I like to carry around in case of emergency or if I need them while I'm travelling. Currently my car kit includes a flashlight, multi-tool, first aid kit, 2 heavy duty blankets, a big jug of water, and some long-lasting snacks (trail mix, nuts, dried fruits).

Just wondering what others here may keep in a kit like this and if I'm missing anything?

Thanks!

Kris Moly and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    All depends on where you are. Here in Australia the main thing to carry is water. Here in New England travelling from our property to the city we carry very little to save on fuel consumption. Water, first aid kit, normal car tools, ground covers. Travelling further we add a backpack with a variety of stuff for use at hotels or if we have to travel on foot, plus food. Going further afield we would add the Wallaby Jack & the winch plus blankets & food.
    Keith.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Well, I don't drive anymore, because I use public transportation; but when I did have a car, I had a basic first aid kit in the glove compartment. In the trunk, I had a miniature toolbox with screwdrivers, a hammer, a car jack, a tape measure... those kinds of things. I also had an umbrella, a blanket, and a flair. Though it's not exactly 'in the car,' I keep a flashlight, an emergency poncho, and a CPR breath mask in my purse.

4. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. If it's a car, you could always carry some canned food with you. They don't go bad and won't have to be carrying them around with you. If you find yourself in a longer survival situation, you might be happy to have that extra food.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I drive my own car and my husband and I have an agreement that when the rain is pouring and there is a threat of flooding, it would be wise for me to spend the night in the office. The main road leading to our village is susceptible to flooding and it would be a risk to try going home especially that my car is a small people's car type. Aside from the usual flashlight and tissue paper in the car, I have a bag there that contains my overnight kit. It has a set of overnight clothes that I can change to plus some vanity items like cologne and small soap, toothbrush, etc. But if I would stay overnight in the office, the toiletries wouldn't be a problem because I have them in my table. And yes, medicines like paracetamol is a must.

Kris Moly likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My old truck is loaded with tools and gear my dog and i are called to find people lost in a 3 state area these large woods we never know what we may happen to find

7. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    You got the essentials. Maybe you can add signal flares and roadside warning signs so on coming cars know that they should slow down.

Bqxau-wT7eyqO_NqYUZMGiBIwusl76W9.jpeg

Kris Moly likes this.
  8. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Having flares for an emergency situation such as motor vehicle crash is very important. Also bottled water, blankets, hand sanitizer, and batteries for items such as radios, or cell phones, are critical items in my opinion.

9. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Several consumables I keep in my car, Duct tape, .025 safety wire, and 550 cord.

10. Dr Tim

Dr Tim New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I always carry a big tool kit...basic medicines like panadol...umbrella...flashlight.... towing rope...tyre inflator...duct tape....cellular phone charger used in the car and some basic toiletries

11. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I carry a get home bag. Change of clothes, knife, handgun, 3 mags, bic lighter, poncho, gallon of water and a tarp with some cordage. Few other items thrown in there from time to time, depends on my mood.

12. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I keep several goodies in my truck....

A roadside emergency kit which i bought from walmart 5+ years ago
    • Jumper Cables, Cheap Work Gloves, A Flashlight with batteries, a poncho and a hazard sign for when i'm on the side of the road at night.
    I also have a Jack and tire iron for when i need to change a tire.

I keep a first aid kit tucked away in the backseat compartment just in case injuries occur, it covers your basics pretty well from burns to scrapes, scratches, and cuts, but if i needed to perform surgery, it wouldn't help me much.

I also keep a tire pressure gauge, a car phone charger, all my important documentation a vehicle needs these days, and a Pen and Sharpie, a bunch of bungee cords just in case i need to strap something down in the bed of the truck.

and MINTS, not sure why i keep mints in there all the time, but hey fresh breath is never a bad thing.

(THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO EVENTUALLY ADD)
    • Paracord
    • A decent sized Tarp
    • a Solar Phone charging pack
    • A better more customized first aid kit
    • A Wool Blanket for if i ever get trapped in winter conditions (Winters in Virginia are quite chilly)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    GS AutoTech likes this.
  13. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Excellent. Also all the items you'd like to add can be gotten cheap. Not much more than the cost of a couple fast food lunches ;)

14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lots of water. Usual car tools. Container of engine oil. First aid kit. Musili Bars. Tie downs. ground cover sheet.
    Keith.

15. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I have two modes if travel. Near home & away. Near home is the majority of travel, like 95%. And that distance to home could be walked if absolutely necessary in a few hours. So I travel fairly light with the basics.
    Away from home, long distance travel. I'll pack all but the kitchen sink. Water, food, BOB, MED kit, tools, paracord, bungees, straps, jump cables & jump box, flashlights, pistol and mags, blanket, towel, tarp, etc. etc.... I inspect & service my vehicles before any trip.
    It really irritates my wife, me being over prepared, but I'm a Murphy's law advocate. If I'm totally prepared, nothing EVER happens. The instant I'm lax, everything fails. Just my luck.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Much the same here, the only time I am off road is when I am on my own property. I have a winch & a high lift jack but rarely have to use them these days. I drove off road in the Territory for 10 years in the monsoons so I gained a lot of experience which has held me in good stead. Water is all important over here, a dry country & long distances between towns.
    Keith.

17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For many years I worked out of my truck and spent a lot of time on the roads between jobs. Then when there were gaps when I had nothing to do my truck was still my offices and waiting room. I had almost everything somewhere on my truck. Tools hardware, parts for almost anything that you can imagine. Fishing gear, camping gear, guns ammo, books bed roll. I worked on and repaired anything that you might have in a house, restaurant or motel and also did AC, Heating and Electrical work.

A lot of the country around here is heavily wooded and a lot of my customers were ranchers. I often got in some fishing or on nice days if things were slow I would either take a nap in my truck or put out my hammock for a nap. I always had a couple gallons of water and food for a couple meals. I on several occasions had a picnic and cooked for a homeless person or two. I knew most of the locals and works at the local shelter fixing things for them to sell in their store. We would go out to the lake at the state park and do wienies and fish for a while. I was known out at the park because I taught a fishing class for kids there once or twice a month for the state.

I'm in a much smaller truck now but I still have fishing gear and a rather extensive survival get home kit that includes basically a 3 day camping gear and weapon set up. I always have tools. If nothing else I have a service tool belt that I carry and can do a lot with. LOL, in my old truck I could do major mechanic work in a parking lot and did on several occasions. I REALLY took my Boy Scout Motto to heart and try to always be prepared for nearly anything. Starting September first I may put a sword on my gun rack. Swords will be legal to carry like the guns effective then...you never know when a dragon might need to be slayed.

18. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Quite frankly the trunk of my car looks like a goat's stomach. God knows what is in there. Truth be known that is really how I started prepping. I worked out of my car , and was often several hundred miles from home. I had to be prepared for any emergency including getting stranded. I can still live in my car quite comfortably for at least three days. It is probably easier to list categories.

Get Home Bag: A grab and go for short distances. Contains the 5 C's - container, cordage, cutting, cover, combustion, plus security. Some easy snack food. Water purification

Tools: A portable tool set with ratchets and sockets, screwdrivers, vice grips, hammer, pliers, crescent wrenches. A shovel. An axe and saw. Jumper cables. Machete. Sillcock key.

Individual First Aid Kit; includes some meds, aspirin, ibuprofen, Imodium, Benadryl, Nepsporin, Aloe.

Toiletries: Travel size everything. Easy to pack includes TP. This is where I keep cash in small bills.

Food and Water: Mostly meals ready to eat. Not meals ready to cook. Sawyer mini and Life Straw filters.

Clothes: complete set of everything from the skin out. Includes extra socks, underwear, and boots. Will vary by season. Now has Winter layers. Gloves, hats, scarves. Raingear.

Shelter: Tarp. Wool and Fleece blankets. Extra industrial strength trash bags (drum liners)

Flashlights and head lamps with extra batteries.

Ample Security.

Phone charger and 400 watt inverter.

The most overlooked items are cash, and a sillcock key. You never know if ATM's will work, and cash may be the only option. Keep small bills since it is highly unlikely anybody is going to make change. A sillcock key can access outside water spigots usually in commercial areas on the outside of buildings. Make sure you have containers to store water just in case.

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are right about the money. I carry about a hundred in small bills, 2 rolls of small silver dollars, about 20 dollars in small change. Cash can get you our of a lot of trouble sometimes and allow you to get some outstanding deals. I got my 10-22 with weaver rings for 50 bucks from a guy I worked with when he ran short of money. I never pass up a garage sale and they ant cash. You can find amazing deals of the kind of things that we are interested in at garage sales. Nobody wants that old case knife with the dark blade or the camping gear that belonged to their Dad after he is gone.

TMT Tactical likes this.