What Is Important For Camping?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by scaruso3, May 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. scaruso3

scaruso3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi everyone, I will be going camping soon for the first time and was wondering what items will be useful to bring. Not the obvious items, but the more important items that most campers will usually forget or not even know about bringing. Thanks!

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    toilet paper.

Koala likes this.
  3. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Haha lonewolf, toilet paper is overrated. Use them leaves! I don't know which items you see as ''obvious''?

I'll try to list the less ''obvious'': first aid kit, various clothing for the different weather, trash bags, cooler, sunscreen, chapstick, camera, umbrella, duck tape, ear plugs, insect spray, sunglasses... I don't know what else because you didn't really give us any information where you are going for your camping trip or what the weather is like there - hot, cold, and so on.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my remark was "tongue in cheek"!!:D

5. Heath L

Heath L New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Koala has a good point. It really depends on where you are and conditions you are in. Also if your going primitive or luxury camping RV style. So here is my list to cover the basics. 1: water. Be sure to take plenty of. As a side note be sure you have a way to collect and sterilize more
    2: food. Freeze dried or MRE's. You can't count on finding, fishing, or trapping/hunting
    3: fire. Have at least 3 ways to start a fire. Lighters, magnified glass, matches, flint and steel. And a bit of combustibles
    4: shelter. A tent, and tarp. Sleeping bag and hammock. Be sure to stay dry and warm. If not you may suffer or die 5: first aid. Sun screen aspirin antidiarrheal. Deet. And your basic essentials.
    6: two pairs of clothes. Socks and a good poncho.

6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I suggest a small cot, like a mil surp military cot.
    Staying off the ground keeps you warmer and more dry.
    Most of the time the ground is moist even if it looks dry.
    I have a cot and a dense cell foam ground cover that is moisture proof and keeps
    one off the cool ground.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...cmpctxxxxcsl?camp=CSE:DSG_pg2937_ecom_PLA_452

Just an example.^^^^

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...grstclssccsl?camp=CSE:DSG_pg2956_ecom_PLA_452

This ^^^^ kind of pad.
    You will appreciate staying off moist cold ground.
    Most sleeping bags won't due as well but together with the pad they are wonderful.
    I have back injuries and arthritis so want t be as comfortable as I can.
    It ain't fun if wet, cold, in pain.

A PILLOW. Don't forget a pillow. Makes a real difference.
    There are inexpensive blow up types but use a COVER over the plastic.
    If not it'll make ya sweat.

( geesh. I should write a book!)

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    First in my list would be the personal items like clothing, toiletries, etc. It's not because you are in the wilderness so it is not important to brush your teeth? That's the common notion of first timers but that's wrong. Since you are used to the hygiene like bathing and washing, you will be doing that even if you are in a camp in the woods. After the personals, I would suggest you bring a packet of 2 of your favorite snacks like nuts or chips. But that's only for emergency. By the way, the personals would include the blanket and pillow if you are particular with your sleeping.

8. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Really thought it was paper for cheek

9. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that was awful.:eek:
    Bad pun alert!:p

10. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think the need of what to bring or not can vary greatly according to the place that you chose to camp (because some places are more complicated than others, obviously), but I think some items can never be forgotten in this type of adventure: tents, lanterns, matches, thermal bottles, toilet papers, portable stove and canned foods.

11. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes. This is where a check list would be essential.
    No one can remember everything.

The last time I went camping people thought I was moving.

WildSpirit likes this.
  12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Use leaves instead of toilet paper????
    Really bad idea.
    When we were kids a buddy used leaves. Poison Ivy was among them.
    Poison Ivy migrated up his rectum into intestines earning him 3 weeks in the hospital.
    Nearly died from it.

13. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    My friends have already told me this to me too, several times. The only thing that I can do when they tell me this, is to laugh. But honestly, I'd rather sin for my excess (in this case, luggage) than for lack of excess.

You know what's funnier in all this? The friends who usually laugh at me because they say I exaggerate, are the same ones who ask for my things later, haha!

14. Art Jones

Art Jones Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about anyone else here but camping when I was young with family/friends and scouts was the foundation from which I learned survival so if you have all the obvious then I would bring survival items I have never used or tried and get some hands on training. I am jealous now because you will get that " first time feeling " you can only get from camping. Enjoy!

15. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I heard there's this plant in Australia that can cause agonizing pain and seizures even by simply touching it. One unfortunate soul was unlucky enough to use it as toilet paper and, well, I think you know where this is going. That makes me paranoid when camping. You can't really expect to learn all plants in the vicinity and which ones can be used for toilet paper and other needs, or it could simply be toxic. I'd rather have a reliable source of paper rather than risk it and either get an infection, a rash, or irritation.

16. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    loads of insect repellant, first aid kit especially for animal bites. Guidebook for herbology with pictures if possible and tons of prayers. Pray that everything will go as planned.

17. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Oh.. I'm terrible at packing for a camping trip :). I want to bring the whole room if possible. I have only been camping twice. Once when I was a teenager (went camping with a youth group from church) and the second time I was a college student. I took almost all my tracks and all my toiletries and other odds and ends I didn't need. I probably had the biggest bag at camp.