What is the most exotic animal that you have ever hunted?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by schiavonecalvin, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    If you are someone that prides themselves on how good of a hunter you are, what is the most exotic prey that you have ever hunted? Did you eat it after and would you recommend it as a good food source?

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Were hunted a tiger once in nam as it hunted us we saw it once then it left

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I only hunt when we NEED meat to eat, I think that shooting any animal for any other reason than a need for food or in defence is totally disgusting behavour.
    Keith.

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    As the tiger had killed two kids and a old lady from the vill we were working from we felt it was best to try as it could smell and advoid traps we hunted it high into the mountains and it appeared once on a ridge then went into a valley far from vill we returned to vill and worked from it for 5 more months till we relocated to a more secure base

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  5. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I can't think of anything "exotic" I've hunted; deer, grouse, duck, turkey, geese, etc. are pretty common around here. I've dispatched various pests too, but they were particularly unusual either; rattlesnakes, nutria, coyotes, etc. The nutria is an invasive species that cause a lot of issues.

6. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    MMM Tiger steaks. No, I'm kidding but was it any good? Most of the meat that we eat today is from the flesh of animals that are either corn fed or grass fed cattle. How did the meat of a predator differ?

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    No we never shot at it as vc active in area we basicly pushed it to leave which it did we did find and blow a ammo dump we found while tracking it

8. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I hunted a bear once! But not for meat or trophy, I was just trying to get the bear's picture. Black bears were considered a protected species in the past, I think. All I got out of the 'hunt' was a great hiking experience, but no cool pictures.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't joined a hunting expedition yet but maybe I can contribute my experience in one rural farm where we hunted edible frogs in the rice field. It was scary at first because frog is scary to me but as the hunt went on, oh, it was lots of fun. But honestly, I was deliberately trying NOT to catch a frog, hahahaaah. And the frogs that we caught landed on the kitchen table and later cooked and served as part of the lunch. The best meat was frog's legs that were marinated in gin (the liquor) for 30 minutes before being deep fried. It goes best with beer.

10. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never eaten frog! I can't say that I've ever wanted to try it, but I've heard it does actually taste like chicken. Is that true?

11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Hunted and eaten
    rabbits
    goats
    sheep
    cattle
    goannas
    all sorts a birds
    snakes
    crocs
    buffalo
    camel
    brumby
    kangaroo

Hunted but not eaten
    Fox
    dingo
    dog
    ferret
    rats mice

12. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    I'm really curious about the ones you have tried - what were the best/worst in terms of taste?

I've heard kangaroo is very lean and can be hard to cook right...would love to hear your experiences.

13. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    A three eyed Elk. Still have not found one :D