What is the most valuable skill you can learn for survival?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Dante848, May 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dante848

Dante848 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Trying to make this helpful but interesting. I am a newbie myself but:

Besides the obvious stuff, like carving something or starting a fire or properly cooking food, making shelter and all those somewhat basic and implied skills, what is something very valuable that you should practice or know before going out there?

Something that a newbie wouldn't think of knowing how to do?

2. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Making small traps and using innovation to make things that can supply you with a ready supply of food are always good. Examples of this are using a river(s) current to trap fish with a stone trap (water flowing downstream, fish uncapable of swimming upstream). Other things such as noose traps are also very useful, but you obviously need to know where to put them based on frequent animal tracks.

Para173 likes this.
  3. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Go to YouTube and study up on trapping, skinning, cleaning and cooking animals. Study real hard on edible wild plants. Every day you walk by fence lines, parks, fields and ditches that have all sorts of wild edible plants in them. Those plants are there just ready for you to pick them if you would ever need to eat them but you probably have no idea which ones are good to eat and which ones are poisonous, right? Learn to plan ahead. Far ahead. What you do now may not be needed for 10 years down the road but, one day, suddenly you'll need it and have it. Keep in mind that most of us prepare for general trouble. As such, about every 3 years or so, I have found that my preparations work well for me in some fashion.

Study modern and older survival techniques. Get copies of the SAS, U.S. Army Special Forces, Army Rangers' Survival Manuals and read through them. There was a movie titled, "Mountain Men" with Charlton Heston in it. You might want to watch it and see how they used to bed down at night in the cold of the Rocky Mountains. Study land navigation and learn to move overland using features, a map and compass. When other people are limited to roadways, you can move overland and take a shorter distance to go from Point A to Point B.

Take up archery, using a slingshot or something that involves reaching out and hitting game at a distance with force. Why? Simple: the more options you have in gathering food the better your survival chances are and the better your life is. Survival is all about options. The more options you have the better off you are. If you can trap and fish you have two options. If you can trap, fish and hunt you now have three options for gathering food for you and your family. Also, keep in mind the better your technology the better your survival chances too. Mankind started off with rocks, then spears, bows and arrows, gunpowder launched arrows, crude rifles that fired rocks and finally rifles. As his technology advanced so did his ability to harvest game for food at longer ranges and in larger quantities. If you live in an area where you can legally own firearms, do so in some fashion.

Take your time and develop a series of plans for you, your family and specifically for the area in which you live. Keep your plans simple and keep them to yourself. Don't tell other people that you're preparing for "whatever disaster." Just prepare for general emergencies. Where I live we lost power for 4 days but we were ready and had enough candles so that we could heat our house almost with all the candles that we had. We didn't cold and this was in the deep part of winter too. So, you never know what kind of situation you will suddenly face and general preparation works well for most situations.

Blitz, Prairie Dog, branchd77 and 4 others like this.
  4. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am not a hunter because I don't like to kill a bug never less an animal lol. I really would love to learn more about finding food, preparing it, and cooking it when trying to survive. I definitely need to woman up and learn to hunt because I never know when I will need that skill.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Learning is good but but anyone can be a jack of all trades and master of none!
    Pick a usefull speciality and study it well become a master of at least one skill!
    I have mastered two and that's about it for me!
    Good at lots a things but master of only two!

6. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You have given some valuable information. I am totally new at this and very pampered by technology. I realize that one day we may have to live like we are in the 18th century. They say that our electrical grid is close to failure and that it won't take much for an enemy nation to knock it out. Boy, there is so much that I need to learn.

branchd77 likes this.
  7. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It sounds like many of you think hunting is the most important thing. I love the outdoors, and I don't mind fishing even, but hunting really grosses me out! Do I need to get over this? Is there enough other food options? Surely there are vegetarian survivalists?

8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    If hunting " really grosses me out!" don't do it!
    Get a man to do it!
    Preppers/survivalists do not have to be good at everything unless they are alone!
    Do what you do and do it well! and let others do what they do well
    With enough people all skills should get covered!
    Different people for different jobs!

IF you have a problem with killing to eat, you will have a problem with defending yourself as you will not want to kill the attacker and you will keep delaying pulling a trigger giving them a chance to flee etc!
    Best not to be armed just fleet of foot!

9. gytixuzas

gytixuzas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    in my opinion it is jus simple, hunting. it is just a fact

MKprepper likes this.
  10. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

I'm with you on this one in that I can't see myself killing an animal. My husband killed two of our chickens, and I stayed indoors with my headphones on. LOL. I could not even eat the meat. I know I need to get over that. I think fishing would be a lot easier. I'm glad that I do have some hunters in my family.

11. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    They say that great needs inspire creativity, and I tend to agree. I think a person could become overall more resourceful after going through a survival experience, and to handle better stressful situations. And definitely These people value more life than ever and become also more optimistic.

MKprepper likes this.
  12. terryse

terryse Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Before setting out to reach a certain destination, i would take time to carefully chart the course to my destination. I need to have a detailed blueprint or a plan to follow so i would arrive safely and on time to that place. Knowing every single skill to survive in an unknown place would be too laborious an endeavor, so i guess, if i know the place is too dangerous for me, i would change my plan and get to go to a safer place.

13. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    There is definitely some good stuff posted above that we should all know and be aware of. I was doing some additional research online while looking up herbs and found a list that might be helpful as well. Here goes:

1) Learn how to grow food and or find it: Because disasters change in an instant, it is always a good idea to be as self sufficient as possible. There are plenty of survival food options, edible plants and insects, ways to fish without traditional equipment and hunting to survive.
    2) How to find water and purify it: Make sure water is clean and potable; if one source runs out, look for an alternative
    3) Learn the art of clothing repair: Learn basic sewing skills as well as how to make clothing or even makeshift bandages from cloth
    4) Learn basic grooming skills: Learn and find ways to keep your family clean and healthy no matter what survival situation you are in
    5) Learn first aid: Learn the basic and most useful first aid skills, get a manual and develop your own kit
    6) How to start and maintain a fire: Learn how to start a fire in dry and wet environments as it could be a life or death situation. Fires can purify water, keep you warm in extreme cold weather, scare away predators and cook your food.
    7) Learn how to defend yourself and be willing to do it: In disasters, people are willing to do whatever to survive. That's the mentality you have to use or at the very least, know someone who will. There are different methods you can use from self defense to hand to hand combat to self defense weapons.
    8) Learn and train your mind to expect the totally unexpected: Train yourself to prepare and practice drills of various events or situations, which will ultimately allow you to condition yourself to accept or be able to face uncertain, strange or disastrous survival scenarios.
    9) Understand the world and potential disasters that await: Timing is everything. Knowing how to respond and react to a disaster or pending disaster can mean all the difference between life and death. Monitor world and local news: Be Aware, Be Informed!!
    10) Learn and condition yourself into a survival mentality: Learn how to see in your mind that certain items can be useful for your survival. Take the time to practice and be able to find solutions to problems if/when they occur.

Hope this helps! If you want more information about where I found the list, just let me know.

Prairie Dog and Tom Williams like this.
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    learn how to grow your own food and raise your own meat animals-dosent have to be large animals start with chickens and rabbits.
    hunting is over-rated, its time consuming and even some of the best hunters come back empty handed, your best bet is trapping and snaring, set the traps and check them twice a day, dawn and dusk, that then lets you free to do other stuff, there will be 1001 other things we have to do just to survive so don't waste your time on just one activity.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Like some of you here, I am not a hunter and I don't even know how to cook what game I would catch. But the skill that can help me is my instinct of detecting if a food is edible or not. I use my nose. Like a strange fruit, all I do is open it and smell if it is pleasant or not. One time we were in the mountain resort and my husband challenged me upon seeing a small yellow fruit hanging by the vine. The fruit was round and smaller than a toy marble. I opened it and just the sight already made me sure that it was edible. The skin was thin and it cracked open to show the seeds that looked like smaller seeds of passion fruit. And when I smelled it, surely it is edible. My husband was teasing me that it was poison fruit and it turned out to be wild dwarf passion fruit that is truly edible.

16. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Learn people. You may not encounter many but the ones you do will be going through a more testing life than the majority of people in western countries. A lot will rest on your ability to interact with people and detect which ones are good to be around and which ones aren't. Also due to living a survivalist life, it may take a while before your ability to judge people outside of regular social structures kicks in. You can learn a lot about yourself and any situation you may experience by sharing with those who have gone or are going through similar experiences.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    OR just get the hell away from other people, others will be your downfall if you don't watch out, you wont know who to trust, so avoid them all.
    there is no prize for coming second.

18. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm so sorry Dilof, I misread that as moose traps!
    Anyone know how to get coffee out of a keyboard?

19. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion, the most important skill for survival is mental toughness. This equips a person with the requisite winning mentality to survive and overcome insurmountable obstacles in life. Its often said that the battle for life is won or lost in the mind. With mental toughness, you'll be able to summon your willpower and look at the destination rather than the journey you have emberled on. A good example of people using this ability are long distance runners and commandos who continue with their regimen in spite of the body long having given in to exertion.

20. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if it can be classed as a skill, but 1) having an open mind to other people's suggestions & advice. 2) the ability to think out of the box. 3) think sustainable. There is a heap of gear out there for sale, & for the newbie it is a trap to make them spend money on items they do not NEED. Survival equipment & skills are NOT the same as weekend camping & picnic equipment & skills. IF you are in fact serious about survival, then you need to think seriously about the gear that will be needed & the skills it will take to keep you safe & comfortable.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog, branchd77 and Arkane like this.
  21. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Mankind has the ability to be a hunter or a gatherer or a hunter and a gatherer. Being able to do both means that your diet is more fulfilling. If you don't want to hunt game, nobody will make you do it. That is strictly up to you. You can be a plant eater. Such people among survivalists are often jokingly called "weed eaters" but don't be offended at a little teasing. If you are good at identifying wild edible plants that is something working well for you, go for it.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends on your definition of survival I suppose, wilderness survival for a finite period of time I would agree with you.
    but i'm looking at a long term, maybe indefinite, societal collapse, where we need to think in terms of an agricultural/agrarian lifestyle with some hunting(probably trapping and snaring rather than physical hunting) and some foraging on the side.

Keith H. likes this.
  23. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    So many skills are needed in order to survive. But if I have to choose one skill only, I would say the ability to make fire in all weather conditions.
    Keith.

Para173 likes this.
  24. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a hunter and don't plan on ever becoming one. However, I can fish pretty good thanks to my grandfather lol. I'm a biologist so I am good with finding edible plants. I don't think hunting is the number one thing to survive for me. I am very good with guns since I am military but I just can't kill an animal.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people say that but they'll probably change their tune when they haven't eaten for awhile.

Keith H. likes this.
  26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well a fish is an animal, & personally I think you are wrong not to consider using other animals for food in a survival situation. I guess if you are on your own, then it is only you to be looking after. There is also the question of self-defence. A woman once told me she would rather die than use a gun, her choice I guess but a poor choice I think.
    With respect, Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  27. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    In survival fire food water but to survive one must be able to KILL wharever it takes from food to man. If you can not kill food to eat or protect yourself you are not going to have much of a chance to survive THIS IS A COLD HARD FACT SOMETHING YOU MUST ACCEPT !!!!!

lonewolf likes this.
  28. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Uncooked rice for keyboard place it in a bag of rice

29. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    If you can not kill for food or defence you will be master of nothing!
    And your master will dictate your life or death!
    Your best bet therefore is to learn to be a good slave!
    The above applies to whatever gender you identify with equally and any age group.

30. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm so sorry Dilof, I misread that as moose traps!
    Anyone know how to get coffee out of a keyboard?

Uncooked rice for keyboard place it in a bag of rice.

That option also works for drying out cellphones. I've seen my sister do it many times!!

31. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To reiterate and expand on most of the posts above, definitely survival is making sure you are equipped to do whatever is necessary to whoever and/or whenever. If I had to choose, I'd probably say be somewhat like a jack of all trades. I'd rather know some of a few things than none of a lot of things. It's essential to know that there is more than one way to survive. Choose what fits you best and the best method for you and your family. So, in essence, I would say knowledge is the most valuable.

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its better in a survival content to be "a jack of all trades" than a master of one.

Mr Boots and Arboreal like this.
  33. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Quoted for truth! When you need your survival skills, it's likely the social networks have temporarily - or even permanently - collapsed, and possibility of job specilization will soon follow. Picking one skill before others makes sense only if you are sure to be a memebr of a trustworthy goup. I guess the most valuable ones are medical - in real disaster and social collapse situations, doctors are the most-sought after people - but few people have time, resources and wits to learn this beyond basics and first aid (I don't, for that matter).

34. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I know how to have a good attitude. I know how to try my very best, and be helpful, and not complain, and not freak out. I think it would be extremely important to not be one to make waves, but jump in there and do everything you can to make things work.

35. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I can be logical and calm in a crisis and I am adaptable. I think of anything I am able to do that would be my best asset, along with a little medical knowledge. I learn quickly and can usually turn my hand to most things. I think those personality traits are what would be most useful to me.

36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    learn as many skills as you can, at some point they will come in useful.
    i'm starting to brush up on my skills, I've done as much prep as I can so i'm concentrating on skills now.
    I've got a couple of courses booked up this year so far-"Green" woodworking next month and an archery course in September(I did a bow making course last year) both at the same place here in North Devon.

37. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for posting this thread. I learned so much valuable Information on this one. I need to get study on this food stuff, trapping and foraging. I literally have never skinned an animal.

38. dogs of amf

dogs of amf New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think anyone can pick up the basis of plant husbandry. Admittedly, this is much less useful for those short-term emergencies, and it never really peters out in your favor for any event shorter than 2-3 months or so (and even those longer events will have humanitarian aid orgs bringing in food from a while away). I'm told, however, that survivors of the siege of Sarajevo found a good bit of use in it, and homegrown crops definitely saved the day for more than a few people. None of them were using particularly advanced farming techniques, so this is something that everyone should have some ability to do. Things like knowing which plants have historically prospered in your area's land, where you might find a paddy field for rice or some decent land for wheat, knowing how to prepare mulch and manure to refresh the nutrients in your soil -- all of these things are extremely simple to learn once and each has the ability to save your life.

On the other hand, learning a few primitive trap making techniques will help you much better in the short-term. Things like deadfall traps and snares can be made by anyone with the smallest glimmer of engineering skill and do get results within short amounts of time. Fish and bird traps, which will end up being your more regular sources of meat, take just a bit of extra effort to learn but do pay dividends like nothing else.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Prairie Dog likes this.
  39. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Finding good drinking water and and learning how to produce your own food are probably the most important things when it comes to surviving. Without food and water, you will die. I would suggest learning how to garden a little bit, and maybe learn how to hunt. Hunting and fishing are great ways to provide meat for your family. Trapping and tracking are also good methods that go along with hunting.

40. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Hunting and fishing are definitely the way to go if you want to learn a valuable skill. It's harder to find food rather than water, that's why you need to know at least the basics to not starve to death. Also, a survivalist knows a lot about nature and all the things he/she encounters. If you're clueless you can eat poisoned fruits/vegetables and die for no reason at all, so be prepared!

41. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think the most important one, besides being able to make a fire, is the ability to have a natural compass, and know which direction is which. I think that is a great asset to have if you ever get lost in the forest, as an innate sense of direction would be extremely helpful in finding your way back to civilization. Making fires is also necessary to get warm at night, as well as stave off the predators that would want to eat you in the forest. Lots of creatures can kill you, but they are all afraid of fire, which is definitely a big plus when you want to try and survive the night and see the sunlight so you can continue with your search.

42. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Hunting definitely. After all, the scarcity of food will be one major issue post apocalypse situations. I'm not really good in hunting animals, i haven't done this in my entire life but if i have no other option, then i have no doubt i can learn this skill. I've fished maybe a couple times a few years ago, i tagged along to one of my grandfather's fishing trips. Farming is also important and im glad i know the basics of this.

43. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I am going too far with this but I believe that the most valuable skill would be forgiving yourself for some things that you will have to do. We have to face the reality that if we come to that point where we need to survive after some kind of apocalypse, we will have to be ready to kill at one point. I am not saying that would be easy but it will be necessary for sure. Forgiving yourself would benefit your mental health in longer period of time so basically sets of values would have to be changed dramatically. Stealing, killing and torturing might be a necessity.

44. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Most useful you can learn is making fire with bow and drill once you can master that its easy

45. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    At tjr end of the day you'll have to do a lot of things to survive

46. Roxy Fermor

Roxy Fermor New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I would assume that a skill that is not listed there that someone might need to survive is trapping or hunting? Or even fishing if there is a water source with something suitable to eat nearby. Oh, or being able to tell the different plants apart and their different uses. That would come in handy.

47. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think the most important attribute that survivalists should have is the ability to adapt to any situation. Sure, you can be very effective in surviving in the jungle on your own for months. But what happens if you are suddenly thrown into the desert? Would you still be able to survive the way your easily survived in the jungle. I think for most of us, the answer would be no. With that said, adaptation is something that every survivalist should master. Learn how to survive all sorts of situations and settings.

48. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the most valuable skill is to be self reliant and not to rely on other people.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  49. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Learning to think outside the box think how to use any and all objects as a tool or weapon

50. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are Newbie, the chances are that although you may have some knowledge of certain skills, you will not have enough knowledge or experience to keep you alive in a difficult situation. We all know about the basic skills that are needed in order to survive, such as making fire, making shelter, finding water & finding food, but just how good are you at accomplishing these tasks? How ever much you know, you need to know more. We should never stop learning, experimenting & practicing. Can you walk into the outdoors in the pouring rain with no equipment, no tools & make fire? Until you can, then you are not skilled in making fire, & you do need to be.
    Keith.

Here is a list of skills you may want to think about.
    Woodsrunner’s Skills.

New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760.

This is a list of basic skills in which we expect an 18th century woodsman or woods-woman to have some experience with in our group. There is no time limit set, learn in your own time & if we can help just ask.
    Keith.

· Flint & steel fire lighting

· Wet weather fire lighting

· Fire-bow fire lighting

· Flintlock fire lighting

· Flintlock use, service & repair

· Marksmanship with either gun or bow.

· Field dressing & butchering game

· Blade sharpening

· Tomahawk throwing

· Making rawhide

· Brain tanning

· Primitive shelter construction

· How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket

· Cordage manufacture

· Moccasin construction and repair

· Sewing

· Axe and tomahawk helve making

· Fishing

· Hunting

· Evasion

· Tracking

· Reading sign

· Woods lore

· Navigation

· Primitive trap construction & trapping

· Open fire cooking

· Fireplace construction

· Clothing manufacture

· Drying meat & other foods

· Knowledge of plant tinders & preparation

· Knowledge of native foods & preparation

· Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.

· Scouting/Ranging.

· Basic first aid.

· Finding and treating water.

· General leather work.

Prairie Dog and joewhitecrow like this.