What is the most valuable skill you can learn for survival?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Dante848, May 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    "Maybe I am going too far with this but I believe that the most valuable skill would be forgiving yourself for some things that you will have to do. We have to face the reality that if we come to that point where we need to survive after some kind of apocalypse, we will have to be ready to kill at one point."

djordjem87, when we talk options, the decision to kill or not to kill is up to you. Sometimes it is simply better to bypass a situation, walk around it, than to strike somebody inside of it. Just because I have the right to strike at somebody doesn't mean that I should do so or even that I need to strike at them. If you don't feel comfortable killing somebody, don't do it. If, however, you have a proven lowlife child-molesting rapist in front of you and you feel the need come over you to remove him from this plane of existence, good for you. I hope that you sleep soundly at night knowing that you did something good. I would. But keep in mind that everything is relative and karma has a way of biting us back later on when we least expect it.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, not sure if that can be classed as a skill, but certainly one would need to be able to kill if the need arose. I think there are many that would not be able to kill, & would sooner die themselves than kill. But we may need to kill to save someone else, & if that were the case, then this sort of person would be a liability. Even if we tend not to rely on others for our own safety, it is always good to know someone has your back.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think my most valuable skill is not having or wanting to rely on other people in a crisis.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  4. joewhitecrow

joewhitecrow Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    I feel the most important thing is the state of mind, You must teach yourself to stay calm, do not panic, try to think things thru. your greatest weapon is your mind . All the prepping we do and all the items we stockpile wont mean anything if we dont stay in control of our emotions. I know it is easy to say that but very hard to achieve it.

lonewolf likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Joe, & I will add "experience, familiarity" with your environment. Lack of knowledge & experience regarding your environment can easily lead to panic. If you want to learn how to survive comfortably in the wilderness, then you need to spend time in the outdoors learning what nature has to teach.
    Keith.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau.

joewhitecrow likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot of people in the UK are afraid of the countryside, they don't understand where there food comes from in a country with 24 hour supermarkets, and they like fields full of animals but they wont go near one in case they get a disease.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Well thought out and presented, thanks for your thoughts on this.

8. Prairie Dog

155/173

Blog Posts:
    One of the greatest survival skills you can "develop" is the ability to look at anything and figure out what else you could use it for. Adaption of tools, environment, gear, etc can be learned and developed and is invaluable.

9. Prairie Dog

155/173

Blog Posts:
    Great question!

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Prairie Dog

155/173

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, your options will be dictated by the area you find yourself in, the threat level you perceive to your personal security and your skills. The best way to optimize your chances of survival, and definitely increase your comfort is to have the maximum options available with minimal effort. How you choose to prepare and which options you plan to use are up to you.
    Prairie Dog

Keith H. likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the one skill that any prepper will need post SHTF is problem solving.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Do not confuse so called "Bushcraft" skills with survival skills. There is no skill involved using a ferrocerium rod, you might just as well use a BIC lighter. Fire lighting is an important skill, & you need to learn how to use a REAL flint, steel & tinderbox. Having said that, there are many more skills you will need to learn for long term wilderness living. Here is a list that our group members learn & practice:

Woodsrunner’s Skills.

New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760.

This is a list of basic skills in which we expect an 18th century woodsman or woods-woman to have some experience with in our group. There is no time limit set, learn in your own time & if we can help just ask.
    Keith.

· Flint & steel fire lighting

· Wet weather fire lighting

· Fire-bow fire lighting

· Flintlock fire lighting

· Flintlock use, service & repair

· Marksmanship with either gun or bow.

· Field dressing & butchering game

· Blade sharpening

· Tomahawk throwing

· Making rawhide

· Brain tanning

· Primitive shelter construction

· How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket

· Cordage manufacture

· Moccasin construction and repair

· Sewing

· Axe and tomahawk helve making

· Fishing

· Hunting

· Evasion

· Tracking

· Reading sign

· Woods lore

· Navigation

· Primitive trap construction & trapping

· Open fire cooking

· Fireplace construction

· Clothing manufacture

· Drying meat & other foods

· Knowledge of plant tinders & preparation

· Knowledge of native foods & preparation

· Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.

· Scouting/Ranging.

· Basic first aid.

· Finding and treating water.

· General leather work.

13. Skipa824

Skipa824 Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    As a newby here, I have read some very valid ideas on hunting, trapping, fishing, mental preparedness, having the ability to or not to kill, etc.... Yet I believe that no matter what skill you have you must be able to find, and purify water. Fact is that after 3 hours of intense work; be it physical or mental, the body begans to break down cells to provide the brain with fluids ( mostly water ) to keep it functioning at optimal levels. Over time without water those levels drop to a lower optimal level. Decreasing your ability to function either physically or mentally at optimal levels need for basic levels of survival. Just a serious thought for your consideration.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    finding and processing water is a necessity, 3 days without water and you are no longer with us.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Second from the bottom: · Finding and treating water.;)
    Keith.

16. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    All good advice best is LEARN NOT TO PANIC

Keith H. likes this.
  17. kat2415

kat2415 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Well besides all of those obvious things, one of the most obvious that most would not really think about first is water. A human body can survive for some time without food but only 3 days without water. Knowing where to find water and how to filter it so it is safe for consuming is probably the most essential.

Keith H. likes this.
  18. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I think the most useful qualities you need to have when it comes to survival are a strong mind and a strong body. Besides these, it would not hurt to have little knowledge of space orientation, knowledge of fauna and general vegetation (so you know what you can eat and not limit), a little geography and a lot of skill.

19. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Tracking animals for sure. Knowing how to and when to explore the area for possible way out or finding a good vantage point to see where you are. Knowing which kind of clouds mean bad weather wouldn't be a bad thing to know either. Never do the things you are unsure about, like tracking certain big animal, especially predators, no matter how hungry you might be and how small the threat predator might hold. Your body might be weak and even the smallest predators could mean death or serious injury. Knowing how to stop bleeding, fix dislocated shoulder or such on your own. It will surely be painful, but if you are able to do it, your chances of survival would increase as well. For pain handling knowing what certain plants have might help as well. This list could go on forever, since nobody is the same, we all cant do the same things, but we should know some basics ofcourse. Especially if you are planning a trip out in the wilderness.

20. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Being able to adapt

21. Jewelweed

Jewelweed Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    The things mentioned above are all important. I've focused a lot on bug-in skills like tending my garden and canning but I can also build a shelter and butcher an animal.

I think one thing that gets forgotten a lot is tending to your general health and learning your own limits. How far can you walk? How long can you fast before you can't function well? Have you actually tried living for a week on whatever is in your bug out bag? How much sleep do you really need? And if you're worried about other humans or predators and can't sleep long at a stretch, do you know how to catch a refreshing nap? I think knowing and pushing my physical limits now, when I can recover easily, is important because I need to know how my body will react. For instance, knowing I'll be pretty wired and driven for the first few days of water fasting but then be pretty lazy lets me know how long I have until eating becomes a critical problem. If I'm in a situation where I have to conserve whatever little food I have, that will be important to know.

22. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Learn how to swim
    Learn how to make fire with woods and how to sustain it.
    learn how to clean/purify water
    learn how to speak at least two more major languages apart from yours like Chinese, Spanish or french
    Learn how to survive on small portions of food, practice intermittent fasting
    Learn how to climb and descend a tree
    Learn to cut wood

These are my contributions. Feel free to add more.

Bishop likes this.
  23. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Based on my limited experience the greatest skill you can have is adaptability. Learning to make something out of nothing. So maybe you were taught to hunt with an arrow but you only have a stone? That will have to make do. Maybe you learned to make fire with a flint but you only have sticks and stones? Or maybe you learned to defend yourself against wild animals with knives but you only have a stick? Adapt to survive my friend!

24. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    If I had to pick one: there is no substitute for mental and physical toughness. Don't have that and life is going to kick your ass.

Beyond that, to think rationally and be a life long learner in as many fields as you can. The accessibility to human knowledge has never been more readily available. Use it.

25. RosieCheeks

RosieCheeks New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Saving money is a great skill for survival in modern life.The unstable economy, crisis, unemployment are the factors which make modern life tough and hard. You always need to have a financial backup in order to face tomorrow with a bit of confidence. For that, You need to put off a certain share of your monthly income for future as untouchable stock. Still, You can enjoy your life with fewer demands and big expenses.

26. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I guess if you want to survive, you must learn the basic needs. You must know how to be safe or when injury comes, you can treat yourself. Food gathering and food hunting, to ensure nourishment. Shelter making, to keep oneself safe dry and warm. The most important is the food gathering and building fire because those two can really help you survive longer.

27. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Building fire and herbology. Tjose two i think is very important skill to learn because that would cover most of your basic needs. You can boil water, produce heat and warmth at ward off big animals. Herbology can provide you nourishment and medecine.

28. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Learn the art of negotiation and how to survive with barely nothing. And in addition, learn how to plant and cultivate crops, corn, spinnach, pepper and onion. You can't go wrong in a place with water and a fertile land to cultivate.

29. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    In my personal opinion, I'd have to say that the skill that anyone should focus on first is being able to both locate sources of water and how to purify potentially harmful water. Though it won't be fun by any means, a person can go up to three weeks without any food. That puts food on a list of pretty important factors, but not so important as water. Without water, you're gone after just three days. That fact alone means being able to find or create clean drinking water is a top priority.

30. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think one of the most important skills in this kind of situation is knowing how to adapt yourself to all kinds of places... After all, you never know what kind of situation you'll have to deal with in difficult times. Obviously this is not something so easy to achieve (because it requires a lot of work and will power), but once achieved is something undeniably extremely important for survival.

31. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    You should practice surviving on a small portion of food. I mean, we all are somewhat extravagant nowadays. We consume a lot and threw a lot that if otherwise in a dire situation of famine can be eaten. You should try fasting on water only and feel how it is. It also help detoxicate.