What Navigation Tools Do You Use When You Go Out In The Wilderness?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Danny Luke, Jul 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy hiking and climbing mountains on my own. In most cases, the only navigation tools that I carry with me are a paper map, a compass, and two or three apps in my smartphone. The problem with smartphone is that they can be useless when there's no signal in the place you are going. And sometimes, I often find paper maps and compasses confusing. So my question is what other navigation tools do you use when you go out in the wilderness?

1redwolf likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The sun, the stars, & a brass sundial compass.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Prairie Dog likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    paper map and a compass.

Old Geezer likes this.
  4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Most of the time I actually have nothing. A map would be nice to have just in case and I always have a small compass in my backpack. And now that you mentioned smartphones, yes of course I keep mine on me. Ohh and as for the connection... it's not an issue as the maps can be downloaded on your phone!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  5. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    Good map and good compass, plus getting out and looking at the landscape itself is very important.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  6. Spec OP warrior

Spec OP warrior Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    I use the same old school instruments as my entire military career. Compass, topographical maps, and the stars at night

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Skot

Skot Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I always carry paper maps of where i am going when i head bush, usually that is all i need. I have my phone on me too which has google maps, not that i ever use it much. I also keep a compass in a backpack in my car incase of an emergency.

Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  8. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    one thing that i've learned about my smart phone(which i haven't tried yet).is that i can download a map of a area in which i'd be going to..that way i won't have to worry about having a signal/connection.but yet there is still one issue.that is,it'll run the battery down in 6 to 8 hours if im not careful about that..and thats starting out with it fully charged..so that means.having all the apps that aren't needed at the time,turned off.i do need to update the city maps i have.by replaceing the ones that are out of date.

Blitz and Keith H. like this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't want to put my survival on a smart phone, not in a serious event.

Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with lonewolf, I would never rely on modern technology in a major survival situation, medical supplies being the exception. But having said that, you could carry a small solar charger with you providing its weight & bulk did not compromise important needed supplies.
    Keith.

11. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    i have thought about the solar charger .and the pocket charger,that'll recharge a cell/smart phone at least 3 or 4 times,as well...that way, i'd be able to keep the phone charged.,i figure 1 solar charger,and 2 pocket chargers.that way,one pocket charger will be getting recharged.while im useing the other one..

Skot and Keith H. like this.
  12. Bravo 16

Bravo 16 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I try to get a 1:24,000 map for areas I do not know and I use a protractor to work azimuthal.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Kind'a off-subject, but my SUV has a built-in compass with dashboard display. I use it constantly. I love it. Many regular compasses w/n work accurately in a vehicle due to the vehicle having an induced polarity of its own.

14. Pady

Pady New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I think it is the best way. Because it is very common thing that every can afford.

15. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    I now have a hand held compass.in the compartment of the drivers door.pluss i downloaded onto my smart phone.aint sure about it yet.

16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Precisely.

Since I'm up in the mountains when I go a wandering, I need/like the topographic maps. My vehicle (4WD) has a compass built-in and I've an old lensatic compass & binoculars in the glove-box. I'll admit that before I head-out on a scouting run, I plan ahead with my computer -- I simulate a satellite fly over, if possible. And where I'm at, I'm given zero choices in navigating the nearly impassible -- if in a vehicle, one WILL have to use a fixed number of mountain passes and bridges over rivers, over RR tracks, ... -- "you have these choices", end of discussion. Think mountain passes spaced better than 5 to 10 miles apart. If the primary pass is closed, poof! 4WD-time.

Just today I was forced to use a back, back road due to a vehicle accident shutting down a primary state route. There were some lights behind me, so I'm certainly not alone in doing what I do.

The wife and I scouted a bug-out route just this past weekend. A map she generated didn't cut it, so it's a good thing we tested it. We've got to get to another state and the major routes will get impassable within hours of an "unfortunate" event. Shoot, I'm not too keen on taking this one major highway during non-panic times what with all of the crazy drivers out there.

I memorize the back country around wherever we live. Had a person given to motion sickness, however minor, ridden with me today, I'd have had to stop several times to let him get out and blow his cookies. One route skirting a ridge let's me look down over 2500 ft and out 25 miles -- especially true if I exit the vehicle and walk out onto some outcropping rocks, too beautiful to describe.

Other folk's photos of this area (I wish I could take photos such as these, just never became my hobby, who knows maybe I will one day when I get even more crippled):
    W6xjsC0sJEBuHnLPsCD3vQM0Riyfv0ec.jpeg
    W6xjsC0sJEBuHnLPsCD3vQM0Riyfv0ec.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Blitz and JimLE like this.