What Part Of Gardening You Like The Best?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by iamawriter, Jun 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Gardening is my passion and I have experimented with everything that comes under the category of gardening. What excites me most is to see something that I least expect. Today I saw four hawaiian flowers blooming on my new plant. There is yet another think that satisfies and that is when we get climbers to harvest our mangoes. These days it is difficult to get labour. This year it happened. We were able sell and enjoy them.

What is your story? mangoes.jpg

DirtDiva and Koala like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
  3. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The harvesting part. During harvest when the plants yield as expected, you are nothing but happy, you forget the stress it took to cultivate them.

iamawriter likes this.
  4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Bishop, haha! I also enjoy that part and the part where I can see everything that I've grown. The moment when you see all your hard work and effort pay off. It gives me this great feeling of satisfaction and being productive. It's just amazing when you can grow something and then actually use it for your meals.

It gives you a sense of accomplishment and that's what I love about gardening. On top of that, it also saves a lot of money since you can just get most of the things you grow right off your garden.

You have really beautiful mangos, by the way, good job!

iamawriter and koolhandlinc like this.
  5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    My joy as I have stated in my post was when I got an efficient plucker. Harvesting mangoes needs to be done deftly. If a mango falls down while plucking it will rot when kept for ripening. It was a joy watching this guy do his job so well. Those mangoes that you see in the picture are called Bennet Alphonso the best variety that we have in our garden.

Your joy is justified when you see the results of your efforts not to ignore the fact that you save money too.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  6. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Whatever you harvest is it for your own use? We have more than what we need of certain fruits. We give away much of that and ofcourse birds get their share. In fact our garden is designed with birds in mind.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fruits veggies berries all can be canned to save and use later im surprised by how little is know about canning with a pressure cooker these days 1

iamawriter likes this.
  8. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Juice is what I make from cherries, bell fruit and mangoes. I also make packets of jack fruit and freeze them to be used the whole year through.
    What is your garden moment? We all have them and I have mentioned that in my post. I think I should write a post on garden frustations too.

9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Eating produce.
    Gardening is so much like life.
    You get back more than you invest.

iamawriter likes this.
  10. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I always love seeing the first sprouts.

iamawriter and PriscillaKing like this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When the plants start getting hardy gives me great relief. I'm always insecure about bugs and grubs and birds and whatever else killing the new settings. So vines or stems get big enough to grab my leg and drag me into the garden -- OK, they're going to make it with some help from me.

"OK, OK, I'll get you some more fertilizer and water!!! Let me go!!!"

iamawriter likes this.
  12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I talk to my plants also.
    It makes them feel all fuzzy and loved.
    Really it does.
    House plants respond to good music and die in a house where people
    argue and hate one another.

iamawriter and PriscillaKing like this.
  13. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Sure. Fruits of one's labour have to culminate into eating. Nothing like eating what is produced in our own backyard - far better than getting it from the market. There is no guarantee that they have not used pesticides to get those items.

Happy eating;)

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Harvesting is always the best part in my opinion. It's always nice to get the literal fruits of your labor. I think the hardest part is the wait, because lots of things may happen and the plants could die during the process. I actually admire farmers who do this all year round. Some people don't like hard labor, but I honestly appreciate the process of planting and creating something from literally nothing. A barren field can be cultivated into a massive garden or farm, which would provide self sustenance for the one who had the patience and heart to do all the work.

iamawriter likes this.
  15. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Fresh dug new potatoes, with just picked green beans and flavored with
    a slice of ham.
    Or better yet a slice of ham and the ham bone.

DirtDiva and iamawriter like this.
  16. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    There's a lot to be said for eating the first ripe berry of the season, or the first tomato, right in the garden...but fruit picking tends to be sweaty and laborious. I think on the whole I like early spring best.

iamawriter likes this.
  17. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I am with you on this. That is why gardening is a perpetual provider of excitement. The first sprout, the shoot, the bud, the flower and then the fruit - so many stages to be excited about and this happening with all the plants and trees that one has.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  18. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I love everything about backyard gardening. From the pre-planting operations to post planting and harvesting. The feeling is quite refreshing and enjoyable when you harvest fresh produce from your own garden.

DirtDiva likes this.
  19. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I like the harvesting part. It's were I'm reaping the fruits of my labor. There's a feeling of excitement that at last I'm harvesting and tasting the fruit of the plant that I nurtured to grow and produce fruits.

jeager likes this.
  20. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Gardening is so much like life.
    You get back what you put into it.

21. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I have said this to many. It is not the size of the garden but the ability to appreciate those little wonders such as you did when you saw those flowers bloom on your single plant. I have a big garden but I get joy when each plant shows results.

DirtDiva likes this.
  22. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    My present garden isn't near as big as I've had but it's plenty enough for now.

23. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Small as it may seen you must be getting happy surprises there. Plants grow and yield and their growth is our joy specially when a new plant shows off. A new shoot, a new bud, a flower and then a fruit - what more do we need to be happy!!!

jeager likes this.
  24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect!:p

25. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    The best part in gardening is not necessarily during the harvesting stage, it smacks of absence me a work ethic. I enjoy the cultivation part when I am manually removing the winds. My hands come into contact with the plants, its like a surgeon on a life saving mission. Then viewing the happy plants free from choking weeds waiting for moisture and fertilizer to fill themselves.

26. John Ellett

John Ellett New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    For me, gardening is one of the relaxing hobbies. It allows me to be outside enjoying the sunshine and fresh air, and has also taught me the importance of growing and maintaining plants. I love to grow a tomato. The major key of growing healthy tomatoes is to learn, control and treat all the tomato pest diseases before they destroy your garden. Sometimes, tomato plants are attacked by many pests during its growth.

DirtDiva likes this.
  27. John Ellett

John Ellett New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    At that time I have asked some exterminator in Nassau County who have provided some recommendations to use a pesticide in a way that minimizes the risk of pests. Then, once I get my tomato plants off to a good start, regular weekly maintenance will insure they are the healthiest they can be.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The real question should be, "What do you most hate about gardening?! Write to vent your bile."

Working black loamy soil feels good. Getting your garden soil to black & loamy is a bear. You break your back and bust your budget.

Standing looking at a garden bursting with tomatoes and squash and red peppers and and and, is a moment of beauty. If the sun is burning down on you, you are too tired, and on the verge of folding onto the ground, then looking at the garden can be an epiphany. Forget that it is just something akin to an acid trip.

I like eating. I like eating fresh food that actually has lots of flavor. Thus, I enjoy the harvest.

I'm cheap. Grocery stores charge over a dollar per one (1) squash. During harvest days, one daily walk to the garden is six squash. Plus peppers. Plus three tomatoes.

29. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I love working where bubble bees are working. They are cute and they are my buddies.

I hate working where the mosquitoes are working on me.

TMT Tactical likes this.