What Shape Are You In

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Bishop, Jun 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    So what shape are you in can you still run when you need to are you able to swim when need to how about climb the walls when you need to where is your mind at is it still sharp

I have met up with groups of people for classes and see a lot of out if shape people that mostly in there prime could not even then do the basic pft and pass so where are you at

Here is where I am 30 pounds over weight

I can still run 3 miles not in the 18 minutes I once was able to

I am still a very good swimmer

Still climb like a monkey

My mind is about as sharp as it has always been

I am still able to do L.I.N.E very well

Still active ball player in basketball volleyball base ball and softball

Still hog hunt with dogs and if you have never do it you have to be able to run with a gun and break bush with out getting your self hurt

So where are you at would you be left behind to guard the back door or would you be the one leading your group to safety

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    After cancer and a stroke I am somewhat overweight! I now have to actively think about walking so now I mentally tire long before my feet do! this is improving over time though!
    Shifting the weight is proving harder than it used to be! but steady improvement there also.
    At 60yo I can still shoot accurate and fast!
    Running sucks according to my knees
    Still decent at climbing but not ropes due to old hand injuries!
    Last IQ test still at 140+ Eyes ok for my age.

Main problem is the weight though.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not often at the doctor, so who knows. Because I've been injured so many times, my skeleton and joints are a write-off. Used to could hike right straight up the side of a mountain -- well, that's gone. I MUST use a cane to go up steps or hills.

I've been working around this house we just bought, gardening, carpentry (work shed build). Worked like a dog yesterday, but never got any chest pain (not that I have a history of such, nevertheless) -- we're talking solid work, over 4hrs in heat approaching 90 F. When I'd overdo it, it hit my breathing a tad and I was unable to stop sweating and my K+ dropped to where I had to take some potassium lest my muscles seize up like a bug getting hit with bug spray. However, I lived. My body surprised me. I don't feel bad today. Gonna take it easy anyhow. This body has seen six decades of hard use and abuse. I've got chronic this'n'thats, but I'm still standing.

I don't think my hands are as steady. I was on a military facility less than five years ago (5?, something like that) and had the opportunity to qualify on one of these firing ranges that uses lasers instead of ammunition (we were there for an entirely different reason) -- you shoot a screen where the enemy is coming in on you. Pre-calibration tells the computers where you are hitting with your sight picture (M4 rifle). OK, so I still qualified Expert ... but I don't believe that for a moment. Me, I think the truth is that I could only do Sharpshooter. Their standards are lower than four decades ago -- a lot lower. I'm NOT my old self. The nervous system takes hits and there's just no way of saying, "I'm still young!" I'm not. Multiple things are degrading about my body. I care only because I have responsibilities for taking care of others. These are my end-days.

As to mind, my memory is slipping. I've always been absent-minded (summa cum laude = absent mindedness person), but something is going on and it isn't good. My work sometimes requires me to drive my cortex a bit and so far, it's stepped up to the plate and gotten me on base (spent a bunch more time last week programming and surprisingly it felt good to do so). I just don't have what I had and I'm sure of it.

Old age isn't for sissies.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My running days are over. I have a prosthetic hip on one side & arthritis in both hips. Everything else is working fine. If we had to leave our forest home, my place in the line would be dictated by my wife & sons. I would say I will take rear guard, but I don't think they would want me to.
    Keith.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nothing wrong with being rear guard or support or fixed position defense -- the war of life is a team effort. Let's say that in a SHTF situation my age gets me an ambient temperature assignment. So what -- better an old geezer than an effective young soldier. I'll gladly take one for the team. "He slowed the enemy's advance," sounds good to me.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never been able to run much-flat feet, but i'm fitter and healthier than a lot of people I know half my age, we have a lot of obese people in the UK, I can walk, and I can cycle twice as far as I can walk and in half the time!!

Keith H. likes this.
  7. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I could never run either. Flat feet here as well. I can walk a long ways. Often do 2 to 5 miles in a day at work. My cp has a logger and I had 18 miles in a day once. I had my back fused but I do pretty good. Still young and studdly in my mind. Now I am older and wiser. If I could get my wife to stop cooking so much.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I got myself a smaller dinner plate & bowl, & when I have had enough the rest goes to the chooks.
    Keith.

9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm too old and crippled up to run.
    Back broken 4 X, artificial rt. knee........................

I guess that's why I go armed most times.
    Can't run so have to fight.

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Wow, compared to most of you guys I'll be pretty near the front of the pack. At 48 years old I work outdoors most days. Climbing a mountain doesn't usually earn a mention So I guess I'm pretty fit although I only ever run for short distances.
    My hips and knees are all my own and I still have all my hair and most of my teeth. Lol

Bishop likes this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol

12. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Pretty decent for 70.
    I'd venture to guess better than most 70 year olds.
    I stay active, gardening, fishing, hunting, but seldom work out any longer.
    Severe back injuries and age catching up to me.
    At 70 I'm still sucking air.
    That's a plus.:D