what should be in my survival kit?

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by BeautifullyBree, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking for suggestions on a survival kit. I've been thinking of items that would be good to have in case of a disaster of any type. To start the list I have snacks,water,alcohol/peroxide,flashlights,batteries, and fire starting supplies. I have a few other items in mind and I'm not sure if they are "must have". I'd like to get some feedback. What would you include in your survival kit?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Seems like you have a lot of stuff ready to go. I would also include "outdated" communication devices like a pair of short range battery operated walkie-talkies or a radio with an antenna. You might also want to reconsider food that can be reconstituted (kind of like NASA style) or energy goo for minerals and nutrients that might be unavailable in a crisis. Be sure to have a decent first aid kit, one that has sterilization products and gloves. Other things you might want too are rain ponchos, a hand air pump, a thermometer and cutlery/something sharp.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think this question has been already asked on this forum. No point in me telling you what I carry, unless you are already experienced you will not see the advantages in what I carry. So I will only say this, you need to cater for long term not short term, because none of us know what could happen. 2) Make sure you have a good medical kit. 3) Make sure everything you get is sustainable. If it will not last long term, i.e. the rest of your life, then it is no good. It will be a waste of valuable space & weight.
    Keith.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  4. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I apologize I didn't see the other post already asking the question. I was just tying to enjoy the forum. Thank you both for your input. We recently bought some military style food to keep with our stuff. I don't have much that is for long term. To be completely honest I don't feel very prepared at all. I know some people keep a stock pile and I'm hoping to get started on that. If it ever comes to a very bad situation what I have won't last long. I'm not niave to that. I'm still a young adult, and I haven't had as much experience as most people on the forum. I'm just hoping to learn as much as I can from you. Maybe I'll be lucky enough catch one you more experienced people on the flip side. Thanks again for the suggestions I'll be adding to my list.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Cluckeyo always keeps his backpack packed. It is in the storage room ready to go right now. I have not done this, but I guess it is a good idea. He carries the tent. Other things we generally put in there is a sleeping roll, a stuff sack for clothes, a stuff sack full of food, a stuff sack for cooking and clean up. 3 other small stuff sacks for hygiene, a repair kit, and first aid. Camp shoes. A bit of office supplies, paper, pen, stamps, credit card, money. Then in the accessible area on the top we have water and snacks and headlight, camera. All packed as light as possible, using small bottles and so forth. We can make the food last 7 days, but it will be heavy.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Keith H. and BeautifullyBree like this.
  6. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hey there! I'm surprised to see that a good knife isn't on your list. Don't underestimate how many times you will need a sharp cutting tool in a survival situation. Do not forget to pack a knife. Almost anything will do - but I recommend a Victorinox multi-tool.

7. Badrock76

Badrock76 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Medical kits and training. self defense weapon., gun knife, baton, baseball bat. you must be able to survive for 72 hours with out help. (Good starting place at least). so think of food and water in that regards. also go by the rule of threes.
    Three seconds without hope
    Three minutes without air
    Three hours in harsh conditions
    Three days without water
    Three weeks with out food.
    Keep these in mind when doing any prepps . if it's bugging in, out or your everyday care

8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think women everywhere should be doing this, but I also think you should be thinking LONG TERM. None of us can carry everything & all that we may consider important.
    Keith.

9. StolenKid

StolenKid New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Water is always important, be sure to have enough water and food, always have a radio with you, something you can comunicate with anyone in case you get lost and a GPS (be sure to have this one fully functional) also a knife so you can use it for protection or hunting device.

10. Jim Cobb

Jim Cobb New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    So, I shouldn't carry any disposable lighters in my kit? They won't last forever, that's for sure. Heck, even the vaunted ferro rod will eventually be whittled down through constant use so I guess that's out. No spare socks, either, as they will surely wear out someday. Food and water certainly aren't sustainable either as, by their very nature, they are consumed. So, guess we can't carry that in our kits and we'll be in constant forage mode.

Truly, I'd love to see the contents list of your survival kit, Keith. Hopefully I'm experienced enough to understand it all.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Okay Jim. Here it is. If you have any questions, just ask.
    Keith.
    Equipment List.
    .62 cal/20 gauge flintlock fusil. 42 inch barrel.
    .70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol.
    Gun tools and spare lock parts.
    Shot pouch and contents.
    Leather drawstring pouch of .60 caliber ball (in knapsack).
    Powder horn.
    Ball mould and swan shot mould.
    3 Gunpowder wallets
    Lead ladle.
    Butcher/Hunting knife.
    Legging knife.
    Clasp knife.
    Tomahawk.
    Fire bag.
    Tinderbox.
    Belt pouch.
    Fishing tackle in brass container.
    Two brass snares.
    Roll of brass snare wire.
    Knapsack.
    Scrip.
    Market Wallet.
    Tin Cup.
    Kettle.
    Water filter bags (cotton & linen bags).
    Medical Kit.
    Housewife.
    Piece of soap and a broken ivory comb.
    Dried foods in bags.
    Wooden spoon.
    Compass.
    Whet stone.
    Small metal file.
    Oilcloth.
    One blanket (Monmouth cap, spare wool waistcoat and wool shirt rolled inside blanket).
    Two glass saddle flasks.
    Length of hemp rope.
    Bottle of rum.

Posted by Keith H

12. Jim Cobb

Jim Cobb New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm not online much on the weekends. That is an impressive kit, Keith. Obviously you have a load of experience with 18th century skill sets and such. For us mere mortals, though, it would be folly at best to carry much of any of that. Personally, I think it is ridiculous to suggest anyone forgo any modern conveniences in their survival kits. As but one example, I know loads of survival instructors, from primitive bushcraft types to those who gear up with the latest and greatest technology. Every single one of them, without exception, carries a Bic lighter in their kit. When you need fire in a true survival situation, you need it right now. A simple disposable lighter provides it. Yes, of course, learn and practice various primitive means of fire starting, such as a bow drill or fire plough. One never knows what the future might hold. But never overlook the easiest solution to a given problem, just for the sake of ego.

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The very fact that we don't know what the future may hold is a good reason to stay sustainable. If you need a lighter or matches to make fire, then you are not skilled enough in fire lighting to be able to handle long term wilderness living. I simply don't need modern gadgets, they would take up room & add weight. I have more important things to pack along. Medical supplies are the exception.
    Keith.

14. Jim Cobb

Jim Cobb New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    To each their own, Keith. I just think it is irresponsible to suggest anyone eschew modern tools when we're talking about real survival. Further, I'm not a strong proponent of the "long-term wilderness living" plan for survival. There are very few potential scenarios where that would be the best course of action for most people. As I said, to each their own.

15. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Under most circumstances, in an urban enviroment, a multi tool, a simple first aid kit, the cell I suppose you have and a powerbank will get you through. Depending on your area and regulations a gun or pepper spray.
    Do not get into a knifefight for heavens sake. Unless you are a ninja or a Jason Statham charracter. Flee before fight. If survival is the goal, dont try and be a hero.

Grumpy Max likes this.