What Should Be In Your First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Kit' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to what you should have in your first aid kit, there are some essentials that will help any emergency situation in which first aid is required. The obvious band aid, gauze, and bandages are important. A needle and surgical thread, along with antiseptic and antibiotic ointment are also a great idea to carry with you. In any good survival first aid kit, you will also have an emergency snake bite kit along with some of the most common over-the-counter medications available. Things such as Bayer Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Tylenol are available in small sealed containers that fit perfectly in any first aid kit. Another great item to carry is antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Amoxicillin can be purchased online. You would have to purchase the amoxicillin used for animals, but it is supposed to be the same stuff that is used by people. Having antibiotics could be the difference of defeating an illness or subcoming to one.
    upload_2016-1-21_0-53-48.png
    In a well planned and thought out first aid kit, you will also have a small lighter, and it is always handy to keep a cigarette in your first aid kit as well. The cigarette and lighter are not for smoking if that's what you're thinking. The lighter comes in handy during an emergency in multiple ways. The cigarette may be utilized when chewed up and applied to insect bites such as wasp stings or ant bites to help remove poisons from allergic reactions. Your emergency first aid kit does not have to be a huge one, in fact, the necessities and extras do not take up much space at all. In the game of survival, conservation is key.

Blitz and Ricky Jeringan like this.
  2. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard of the cigarette tip. That's extremely helpful. Do you know if it still works after the cigarette is expired??

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    @cyclistbabe I think it's the nicotine in the tobacco that acts as an anesthetic. Of course, a menthol cigarette wouldn't do the same thing.
    I can also imagine the cigarette could help cauterize an injury... but that's kind of a last resort.

Overall, very goods tips in here OP! Now I'm assured that my hoard of medicinal supplies is up to spec. The only thing I don't have is the cigarettes, because I don't smoke and they're too expensive to let them sit in a first aid box for years. Too bad I can't grow tobacco on my windowsill.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think this is a really well put together first aid kit your describing. It sounds like your creating your first aid kit based on the kind of dangers you might face. I think that taking the right precautions based on your environment is smart. For bee stings I here making a baking soda paste works well. Maybe putting baking soda in your kit would be helpful.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Goodman

Goodman New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Bаndаids, gаuzе, соttоn swаbs, q-tips, surgiсаl tаpе, sсissоrs, bеtаdynе/iоdinе, hydrоgеn pеrоxidе, аntibасtеriаl lоtiоn, buttеrfly bаndаgеs, surgiсаl supеrgluе, purе аlсоhоl, mаtсhеs, nееdlе аnd surgiсаl thrеаd, аspirin, ibuprоfеn, tylеnоl.
    оbviоusly yоu nееd tо knоw hоw tо usе thеsе things prоpеrly.
    My pаrtnеr whо is а physiсiаn аlsо саrriеs stuff likе surgiсаl shеаrs аnd а hоst оf things thаt I hаvе nо idеа аbоut аnd thеrе is а trасhеоtоmy (spеlling) kit undеr thе sеаt in thе саr

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am the kind of person that i would rather have too much in my first aid kit. I am also a diabetic so i would have extra items to treat high and low blood sugars.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    There are so many things that could go in a first aid kit, but what really would most likely be used? I'm sure when SHTF happens, people really won't be carrying around giant first-aid kits. I wouldn't, and my bug out bag would pretty much be my first aid kit because it would have all sorts of things in it that I could use.

Anyways, most people generally use things in the wilderness to fix themselves up that had nothing to do with anything in their first aid kits. It's always good to keep a few good things though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. QuakeringInTokyo

QuakeringInTokyo New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Great kit advice once again Aneye4theshot, I'm new here and to this way of life so this is invaluable info. Going to start learning how to apply first aid to others and to myself.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. James L Bryant

James L Bryant New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Make sure you have honey in there it is good antibiotics for cuts. Just my thoughts

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Basic First Aid Kit

Following is just a "starting point" for your First Aid Kit.

There are many common emergencies and problems that can be handled by the contents of even the most basic first aid kit. Even the simplest cut can become a serious problem if left untreated.

Basic contents for a first aid kit should include the following items.
    • Sharp Knive
    • Scissors
    • Tape
    • Bandages - assorted sizes
    • Roll gauze
    • Triple antibiotic ointment and/or first aid cream
    • Band-Aids
    • Gauze pads
    • Disposable safety razor
    • Adhesive tape
    And, some additional items to consider are the following.
    • Butterfly closures
    • Calamine or Caladryl lotion
    • Eyewash solution
    • Chemically activated ice and heat packs
    • Safety pins
    • Triangle bandage
    • Tweezers
    • Forceps
    • Aspirin or Tylenol tablets
    If you fish, a hook removal kit should be on the top of your list. This handy little addition to your first aid kit can save the day. However, don't wait to read the instructions until you need to remove a hook. Routinely review the directions that come with it.

Each person will also find other items that he or she might need. Some of these items might include the following.
    • Motion sickness, antidiarrheal, and/or antacid tablets
    • Prescription medications
    • Bee sting kit
    • Snake bite kit
    If you are unfamiliar with first aid techniques, then you should consider taking an American Red Cross Basic First Aid Course. Additionally, all anglers and hunters should know Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). To take these courses, contact the local chapter of either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association. You might also consider arranging to have one or more classes held at meetings of your fishing club.

You can purchase a commercially available first aid kit with the above items in it or you can assemble your own. Either way, carry one whenever you go.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Doods625 like this.
  11. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Advanced First Aid Supplies

As you get more training/experience, you’ll find you begin thinking of some more advanced supplies you need for your First Aid Kit. Following are some items you’ll need to add.

Basic Surgical Kit
    - Scissors
    - Probe
    - Suture Set
    - Scalpel
    - Hemostat
    - Pen Light
    - Tweezers
    - Alcohol Pads
    - Antibiotic Ointment

Open/Sucking Chest Wound
    The best choice is a (Bolin Chest Seal) BCS is a sterile occlusive chest wound dressing that treats open pneumothorax resulting from gunshots, stab wounds, or other penetrating chest trauma. This dressing features a failure-proof triple-valve design of the BCS allows air and blood to escape while preventing the re-entry of either, thereby eliminating any unwanted gas or liquid exchange at the trauma site.

Stop Bleeding
    I take a blood thinner for a health problem, so this was a must for me. Hemostatic Power Blood Stop is the most common and favored by US Military.

Battlefield Dressings
    Battlefield/Trauma Dressings come in a variety of shapes and sizes. One of the best sources is from Israel. They are what their military uses and usually reasonably prices.

Lidocaine Paste
    For suturing you need a way to numb the area. Injectable Lidocaine is best, but an easier method is to use what Tattoo Parlors use - Numb Master paste is the most commonly available and contains 5% Lidocaine.

Face Masks & Gloves
    N95 Surgical Masks are a must. I buy mine individually sealed by the carton.

A good supply of Nitrile (Latex-free) disposable gloves are a must. Get them in a thickness of alt least 4 mils. Buy a variety of sizes. A box per size is a good start.

A Word of Caution: Don’t attempt to use any of the above without proper training. AND always check expiration dates and keep replacing as needed.

Morgan101 likes this.
  12. Dejah

Dejah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Very important essentials needed to make a first aid kit would be starting off with the basics like, bandages, sterile pads, disposable gloves, cleaning wipes, alcohol, tape, gauze and plenty more. Of course the bandages would be for any type of cuts or grazes one might get if they fall or brush up against something. Keeping everything sterile and clean is the most important thing people have to remember so they won't spread any diseases. So always wash hands or use hand sanitizer, then apply gloves when working with any open wounds. Medication isn't necessarily needed in a first aid kit, but it doesn't hurt to have them just in case, that's also including Neosporin or any type of antibiotic ointment for cuts. Having plasters in variations of sizes is much needed depending on how large the wound is, plus tape to secure the sterile dressings. Also just in case take along with you safety pins, or tweezers for splinter removal, those can really come in handy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    A mirror not a glass one as it could shatter in ur kit I use a replacement plastic wing mirror for a car I picked up in local motor factors for €5 handy it u hav a face injury or any injury out of ur line of sight and can be used to signal
    I also keep a small torch so no matter what I know there is always one near in times of emergency
    I have found in the past that that a valuable item is a note pad and pen
    you can note any medical history off your patent and keep record of their vitals
    *body temperature
    *pulse rate
    *rate of breathing
    So when medical emergency services turn up they hav a history of what's going on
    Also if someone in your group hav to go and get help if the information is written no matter if they too exhausted to speak or injured or cant remember all of the information they can just hand it over

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  14. Paddy

Paddy New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Some great tips here, made a note of a few things I should be adding to my first aid box. I thought the first aid kit I got from a local pharmacy was good, its got band aids, scissors, forceps, tweezeers, and a few other things but there's a lot of things listed here that it doesn't cover. Better to be safe than sorry so I'll definitely be adding to it. Thanks for the info :)

15. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hmm..I think most of the instructions are good and I would think most of this stuff in my survival kit. However, I have reservations about the tobacco and antibiotics. Smokeless tobacco still puts you at risk for cancer. Of course, if you're not chewing tobacco every day, you'll be okay, but that's just something you should keep in mind. You can use iodine, hydrogen peroxide, antihistamines, and calamine lotion instead. As for the antibiotics, health professionals do not recommend that you buy OTC antibiotics for your pet. The least restricted ones are for fish, and the doses for pets are different than those for humans. If you buy them online from 1800PetMeds, they will call your vet, if you didn't know, and it will look suspicious. They want to prevent antibiotic resistance, so please be careful! My favorite painkiller would be Tylenol. In my experience, it gets the job done better than the others. Aspirin can be good too. Overall, I think my survival kit would be similar to yours. I would try to make sure I have a variety of bandages, too, since that always gets me in trouble when I hurt myself at home

Lee CT NE likes this.
  16. Bobsley

Bobsley New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    He there!
    Swiss Safe 2-in-1 First Aid Kit is always in my car, I have never used other brands, but I think it's the best first aid kit for me.
    you should try it.
    But anyway thank you for the information.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I got in a shipment of "doxycycline " yesterday from the Russian federation . Sometime between my order placement and its arrival doxycycline was taken off as being available from the Russian federation . I suspect government involvement behind the scenes on this change . It may be available from another source .

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Lee ct ne - What does a fish hook removal tool look like ? I remember my grandfather getting a large hook in his thumb while out trying to get us a catfish for supper . He said there is no need to waste money going to the doctor .He slowly pushed the hook on through his thumb , cut off the barb with pliers and pulled it back out . As a youngster watching that was , impressed but horrified .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Just take a double-wrap of about 4-inches (8 total) of at least 20-pound test fishing line and attach to a dowel, etc. To remove the hook, place the double wrap of the line around the hook so the line rests in the inside bend of the hook. Hold the "eye" of the hook down to the surface of the skin. Quick and hard, pull back on the dowel, etc. and the hook will literally pop out the same way it went into the flesh. A lot less painful than the "old" way.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  20. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the feed back , our entire group does a lot of fishing , I will remember your trick on hook removal and hope I never have to use it .

Lee CT NE and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    After giving it some thought I think before fishing time this year , I am going to make me a hook removal tool and put it in my fishing vest .

22. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    One thing I have not seen mentioned is Super Glue. Know why your fingers stick together? That is what is was designed to do for massive wounds in Viet Nam. If you have a deep cut glue it back together, and get to an emergency room. An Israeli bandage and a portable splint might be good to have. Cayenne pepper is also supposed to stop bleeding, but I have never tried it.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I always have a piece of heavy string around my neck for pulling hooks out. With it around my neck I can use the hands to position and press the hook down before popping it out. A word to the wise, if the hook is a treble hook or if it is just one hook on a lure that has other hooks you will be better off to remove the hook from the lure and the other barbed points from a treble hook. It SUCKS to pull out one point and end up with two more in you.

Your medical kit needs to have as much as you are competent to use in it as long as you keep it small enough to easily carry. My little fishing med kit is in a pill bottle while my bug IN kit is a tackle box full of stuff.

24. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    I personally don't use Super Glue, as it is a bit difficult to remove if surgery is necessary, although as a Navy Corpsman during the Vietnam ra, I was trained in it's use. Today, my prference is a Clotting Sponge/Strip containing 50g Zeolite. The removal is very easy. I push the sponge/strip in as far as I can, then cover with a sterile dressing.
    I also use the Israli Trauma Bandage, which I referred to by it's more generic name - Battlefield/Trauma Dressing.
    A portable splint is also great if you have the room. I do carry a small one for fingers.
    Cayenne Pepper - again very difficult to clean from the wound as are Hemostatic Power Blood Stop powder. Again, I prefer a Clotting Sponge/Strip containing 50g Zeolite.
    I also carry a CAT Tourniquet for severe bleeding. It can be applied with one-hand to yourself is necessary. However, get training on the use of a tourniquet before adding it to your kit.
    Great ideas sir. Appreciate the input!

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  25. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

WOW!! Lee CT NE. You have probably forgotten more about emergency medical treatment than I will ever know. Thanks for your comments. I am curious about tourniquets. I have heard that they can do more harm than good. Many standard comments have been " Don't use a tourniquet unless you want to lose the limb. " Is that true? Are there better ways to stop severe bleeding without using a tourniquet? I have never carried one because I am unsure how to use it properly, and I always thought a tourniquet is something that could be improvised easily.

I would love to hear your far more professional opinion. Thanks.

TMT Tactical and Lee CT NE like this.
  26. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for your kind words.
    As for Tourniquets, I advocate their use. BUT, you must be trained. Improper use can result in loss of a limb. However, proper use can save a life.
    I work in this order when trying to stop bleeding.
    1. Direct Pressure with a Clotting Sponge/Strip containing 50g Zeolite
    2. Pressure Points
    3. Tourniquet
    IF THE BLEEDING IS BRIGHT RED=ARTERIAL BLEED. I immediately apply a tourniquet. Otherwise, the victim can bleed out in a very short time - 5 minutes or less, depending on the severity of the wound(s).
    Any Rescue Squad, Fire Department and Police Departments can provide instructions on use.
    It certainly is easy to improvise a tourniquet. However, the CATs are best, IMHO, and easiest to use. They also can be used one-handed on yourself.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Blitz, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the advice. Gives me even more of a reason to get more medical/first aid training.

28. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
  29. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Yes and No. In my experience both can present complications, especially when the TQ has not been properly applied. Also conversion is not always successful even when using a Clotting Sponge/Strip containing 50g Zeolite in concert with direct pressure and/or pressure point. The linked article gives excellent guidelines. Unfortunately, each case is different and bad things/complications can and do happen. Truly appreciate your input sir.

30. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    I would also suggest you consider looking into Stop The Bleed - http://stopthebleedingcoalition.org - and take the training if possible.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Agree completely, didn't mean to suggest the steps in the document ensured success. One catch-22 for a lot of post-SHTF injuries requiring a TQ might be in these statements:

"Conversion should not be attempted on a patient in shock" and "With any concern for hemorrhagic shock, resuscitation must be initiated prior to attempted tourniquet conversion."

IV fluid resuscitation isn't a capability many have, and could leave someone in the situation where it isn't recommended to try removing the TQ because of shock, but it also isn't recommended to leave it on any longer and risk reperfusion injury / kidney failure when removed later. It'd be interesting to hear what a trauma physician/RN might suggest in that case as the best course of action, or the least harmful one. Bet that'd be a long flowchart/decision matrix based on the injury and the skills/tools available.

32. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    As both a retired RN and former Navy Corpsman, allow me try to answer your question. Perform CPR as needed. If shock is due to extreme blood loss, aka hypovolemic shock, then a TQ needs to be used, maintain airway, keep victims feet raised about 12-inches, and keep the patient warm. In my training, TQ conversion was to be attempted when victim's symptoms (pale/moist skin, weak/absent pulse, respirations below 20/min., aggitated, lethargic, or restless) begin to decrease. Again, within 2 hours is the guideline to follow. Use Direct Pressure with a Clotting Sponge/Strip containing 50g Zeolite. If victim is conscious , able to swallow, and no injury to the abdomen is evident, then a weak salt/saline solution can be offered and taken orally in a SHTF scenario. This is what I would do.
    And yes, the matrix/flow chart would be huge. Too many varitables and each situation is unique. Hope this helps a bit.

33. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A comment on carrying more equipment than what you know how to use. You may not be the one providing emergency assistance. If the emergency is beyond your capabilities a doctor, nurse, EMT, may be available, and they can use the equipment you have to provide proper care. Who knows? They might even be using it on you.

IMHO the most forgotten item is Immodium AD/ anti diarrheal medicine. For me it is like the American Express card. I don't leave home without it. It is in every bag I own. In my desk. In my car. No worse feeling in the world.

34. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    News articles from recent years out of Venezuela said that while hospitals were open and staffed, they lacked even basic supplies and medications. Family members of patients were given a list of what to acquire (often on the black market) to treat and care for the patient and to bring them to the hospital before they'd admit them. IV supplies, needles/syringes, bandages and dressings, catheters, and a lot of other basic medical supplies are cheap and easy to get now, and basically last forever.

35. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    I keep a heavier prescription ant-diarrheal and an anti-nausea. Bt folks should at least keep the OTCs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a question for those that may have more medical knowledge than me . I am considering purchasing for my first aid kit a anesthetic for performing surgery , Under my consideration is "diethyl ether " . I was put under at a hospital once where the staff had me inhale ether . I didn't feel a thing as they cut out my tonsils . I know this is a old school technique but this item appears to be available for sale .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.quora.com/Why-is-ether-not-used-for-anesthesia-anymore?share=1

Jeff E Mandel, MD Anesthesiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1980)

Answered 3 years ago · Author has 241 answers and 326.2K answer views

"A colleague of mine spent some time in Nepal on an InterPlast trip. He spoke with a local anesthesiologist who told him that ether was still used in Nepal in remote locations, as it is a respiratory stimulant, and it is possible to do open drop ether with a Schimmelbusch mask at 4500 M elevation in room air. For those of us who practice at sea level with access to modern equipment, there are few compelling advantages to inhaled ether, although most of the issues with ether have to do with its use as an induction agent, not as a maintenance agent. EI (Ted) Eger described the use of intravenous ether:

"'From a study of intravenous ether anesthesia, it was concluded that ether diluted to a 5 per cent solution in 5 per cent dextrose and water may be used to induce and maintain a smooth and easily controlled anesthetic state similar to that obtained with inhalation ether but without the dependence of the latter technique on ventilation. Cough and laryngospasm were absent. Adequate spontaneous respiration can be maintained with this technique. The technique is particularly useful in endoscopy during which the airway is often not available for anesthetic administration.'

"Another consideration is that halogenated anesthetic agents are significant contributors to greenhouse gas emissions from hospitals. Diethyl ether is a clean-burning fuel, and would be relatively easy to extract from waste anesthetic gas. If, in the future, greenhouse gas emissions are regulated, ether might emerge as a more viable alternative."

================================================

Surgical needs:

You will need to locate McBurney's Point.

You will require suturing for gut tie-off, for cutaneous closure, and for musculature. Any arterial nicks and you must repair that mess with special suturing.

You will need to have a surgical wash for the peritoneal area of intervention. Speaking of which, you must maintain the integrity of the peritoneum. You will require suction so as to maintain your ability to see key structures.

Airway, you'll need an endotracheal tube w/stylet; having 6.5 to 7.5 sizes available will likely suffice. Have oxygen and a non-rebreather mask. Airway suction will be required. You'd better have an Ambu bag handy.

True surgeries require neuromuscular blockade; agents such as succinylcholine chloride and rocuronium. However, since you are not using these, watch out for seizures and have anti-seizure medications on hand.

You'll need to hang a bag of IV and have in-line stopcocks for the introduction fluids and medications. You'll need broad-spectrum antibiotics, sure; however since we are dealing with the gut, you'll need antibiotics to cover anaerobic bacteria and e.coli and its friends. I'll have to enter a link below concerning gut bacterium, because I'm right now forgetting all that. I've got some of this info on the tip-uv-me-tongue, but their names are just not coming through.

The list goes on and on ... The above are what came to my mind off the cuff. Homey ain't no surgeon, don't'cha'know. Not my game. Note also that anesthesiology is one realm and surgery is another realm. And then there is post-op care.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198246/

38. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    During the United States Civil war , accounts of arms and legs being amputated in a battle in Missouri that were thrown out a window of the operating room that piled up 5 or 6 feet high is documented . My question is in todays technology , what is the best way to stop the bleeding after you have cut off a arm or leg ? Those movies showing a hot iron being placed on the severed area to melt the flesh looks dramatic , but is that really the best method . Would a clothing iron be hot enough for the task ? Perhaps I need to have a flat iron ready for amputations . I have a good bone saw and plenty of knives . Keeping the patient cool during the procedure I suppose would be a good thing , in order to reduce bleeding . Without electricity , carting the patient down to my cool spring feed creek might be the best option for temperature reduction . The down side of that is stuff washing into the patients severed limb possibly contaminating it .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry a standard field first aid kit in my car, I have others in my stocks, anymore than that is a waste of time as I have never had to use them in all the years I have carried a FAK.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It only takes once.

Those who are averse to seeing blood and gore, do NOT open the following link:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=compound+fracture+accidents+&atb=v140-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

I'm sure most folk who've been horribly injured have said at one time or another, "Hasn't happened to me. Can't happen to me!"

One can always carry morphine on them so that they will not have to scream to death. The 68 Whiskey personnel do; it's easier to treat those who are not in unbearable pain and are not thrashing about.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most, if not all, of the big traffic accidents occur on the motorways in Britain, people drive like idiots on them, most of my journeys are on minor country roads and only locals use them and then not that many of them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I just returned from the hardware store where I purchased multiple tubes of super glue for first aid applications . On order I have surgical thread and more surgical needles to add to my emergency bag .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I tired that once , try as i might i could not get the hook though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Knew a Spanish thoracic surgeon who used glue ("super glue" or a glue not unlike it) to repair a section of infarcted cardiac tissue. Patient didn't die on the table. Option "B" was to watch the patient die.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there will be plenty of dying WTSHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Get you a bunch of butterfly closures.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=butterfly+bandages&atb=v140-1&iax=images&ia=images

To get the ends of the bandages to stick to the skin on either side of the cut, use tincture of benzoin as the adhesive.

The following image of a cut being closed with butterflies looks closed TOO close. You do NOT want to totally close a cut. The wound must be able to ooze. If you close the injury, fluid & pus can gather inside the injured area. This can cause infection, even septicemia. The injury must be able to weep fluids and eventually dry-out. Cover the injury with sterile gauze that can "breathe".

upload_2022-1-11_19-39-41.png

upload_2022-1-11_19-42-8.png Benzoin is very sticky / icky.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  47. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Be careful with superglue, most brands have a thermal reaction curing hot enough to damage skin tissue, the glue medics use 'sets' cold not warm or even hot like the cheap glues most often do.

48. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Butterfly strips are well worth have, stitching wounds when you don't know how, the damage you could do or if they are needed is a poor idea.

Be careful with stuff like cellox as well, great on a battlefield but if your not being shot at direct pressure works just as well if you have time.

Antibiotics are a basic in your kit, here in Spain you can buy them from a pharmacy if not get the animal versions just double check strength/dosage.

Tablets retain strength longer than capsules, both stay usable than most liquid meds. Ampules of morphine sealed will last 50+ years if you can get hold of any.

50. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Butterfly strips work, I know by personal experience.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.