What to Expect in an Urban Survival Situation

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    If you are in an urban survival situation whether it be fallout, natural disaster, invasion of foreign countries or massive riots, there are a few things to expect in each and every single situation. People are going to be panicked stores are going to be wiped of their shelved goods, and people are going to be demanding to know what is happening and what is going to be done. You can expect crowds and mobs of people, at first, protesting most likely. Then things will get a little worse, and the government will begin having a very hard time controlling the people. At this time, they will most likely implement martial law.
    upload_2016-1-24_21-38-23.png
    Martial law will give you a curfew, restrict you from going in and out of where you're freely and will put everyone under constant surveillance. When things start getting more serious though you'll be looking at break-ins to businesses, people stealing food from stores and hospital supplies being raided. You can also expect for many survivors to act very cautiously because they are trying to protect their family and resources. You can assume there'll be a lot of garbage on the streets because rioter's and protesters will cause regular services to shut down. It will ultimately turn into a free for all, and you will have to fend for yourself.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Never lived in town or city but be ready have a plan have supplies use common sense have a kit handy at all times get out eary donot wait till the idiots are in panic

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived in a city for 40+ years, believe me there are a lot of idiots out there and 99% of them have no kind of emergency kit or stores.

4. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    What to expect confusion panic lawless behavor

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe in America, it'll take the British Sheeple a lot longer to even realise something is going on!!:D
    they'll only realise when someone posts it on Facebook!!!:rolleyes:

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there seems to be this attitude that because Britain is an island "no where is safe"!, whilst I am very happy to foster this thinking as it makes my situation safer, its not strictly true .
    the South East near London usually referred to as "The Home Counties" is the most heavily populated part of the country, and its usually residents of this area that have the above attitude.

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Eagland as a island your very limited on choices just be ready i myself would be moving. Off the island to a mainland

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if by a mainland you mean Europe? no way! too many migrants crowding onto an already heavily populated place.
    i'm in a remote rural location and i'll be staying here.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Your choice be ready iif you have room get your gardens and food sorces going id have a greenhouse up and going just to have a longer growing season

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    gardens are up and running, mild climate in the South West.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When there was a strong earthquake here in 1990, I was in the office when it occurred. Our office is located in the business district so you can imagine a setting like New York City. Maybe due to fear, all the people in the buildings are in the open, occupying vacant areas, sidewalks and even streets. There were very few vehicles and the roads seemed empty except the multitude of people. From what I remember, the people were walking to the direction of the highway. Some are hurrying but most are slowly walking as if trying to gauge if there is another earthquake. From the looks of those people, it wouldn't be far fetched for them to join looting the stores if the calamity has reached dangerous levels. Maybe that's the primary concern when something happens in an urban area, try to be calm and go away from the crowd. You will never know their reaction.

12. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Cities are full of predators!
    They will roam the countryside
    They will have numbers
    Nowhere will be safe!
    But they will not go/be everywhere
    The local postie, milkman, policeman, mayor etc know where most everyone is!
    To protect ones family people will dobb on others!
    If I lived in a village and my family were at risk I would dobb on a far out armed local family/hermit!
    It will buy me time and there maybe a few loss's on there side reducing the odds! win win for me no matter how small!

It won't be me though as I am soon to be permanently mobile! No Fixed Address!

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends on the survival rate and how quickly the main services on which city folk rely go down.
    3 weeks after the food runs out the dying will start, in England most people wont know there is a problem until the stores run out.
    postie? yep got one of those-she's a neighbour.
    milkman? nope they don't exist anymore-everyone buys their milk in the supermarket.
    policeman? in a couple of years there wont be a policeman or a police station outside of the cities and their numbers have already been cut in half.
    mayor? nope we haven't got one of those.

14. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Everybody is only about 3 days away from disaster. That's because your average grocery store only carries about enough food for 3 days. If your local store ever has its resupply delivery of food interrupted, things could get nasty real fast. Once that happens, all bets are off and riots can break out really fast. Once the riots get started they can spread from one area to another like a wildfire in a matter of minutes. People can turn into savages so quick it can amaze you. When things start to unravel, the best thing to do is not be in the area and stay at home away from the possible attacks. Stand ready to defend your own property with whatever implements you have available or have planned in advance to use. But the key is to not travel through the danger zones if possible.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    which is why we prepare, so we don't have to put ourselves at risk when the non preppers are fighting over the last crumb in the store.

Para173 likes this.
  16. greymanila

greymanila Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    When Haiyan hit Tacloban City in the Philippines and practically flattened it, the first day, people were walking like zombies, uncertain what just happened. On the second day, the looting started. The malls and stores were broken into, and ransacked. Even Mcdonald's and KFC were not spared. A few days later, things got really bad. The desparate will come in the dark of the night(there was no electricity), breaking into houses. You can hear the sound of regular gunfire from either marauders or defenders. Arguably, the gunfire was from police and military personnel, who were desperate to feed their families.

This part of that tragedy was kept from the news.

17. greymanila

greymanila Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Another story about Tacloban, whole apartment buildings were ransacked and raided...except notably one floor of a particular building...cuz the families on that floor were armed to the teeth!!!

18. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Caos, a lot of people without any kind of preparations, idiots and violent people but at least you can find decent people too, depends a lot of where you live and the people around you, only evaluated your environment, is useful sometimes.

19. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    When (if) the "big show" begins...I will watch it from a LONG LONG LONG way off in my little oasis in the desert. I am sorry to say that if you live in the city and you don't unass the area as soon as, and I mean the moment, the situation is beginning to turn ugly...then you're going to die. You may last a little longer than the rest of the great unwashed...but you won't make it out of a city. The only ones who will probably make it are the people who are already homeless and used to living and traveling un-noticed on the street.

Those of you who are law abiding citizens in countries where you have no right to keep and bear arms...are truly screwed.