What Water Not to Drink

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    We all know water is an important and valuable resource in survival situations. But not all water we see should be consumed. An example is snow. Snow can actually cause hypothermia because the action of eating ice can cool your core temperature. Avoid drinking water from cesspools and very dirty water holes because even if you boil the water, it will have nasty specimens floating in it. Saltwater will do nothing but dehydrate you even further because of the salt and it can cause constipation which will cause a person to become severely dehydrated. This is unless you know how to convert the water vapor into drinkable water you might want to steer clear. You may have heard of drinking your urine but did you know it actually takes water for your body to produce urine. So drinking your urine will produce even more darker yellow urine.
    upload_2016-1-21_4-54-48.png
    Water coming off mossy rocks off the side of a cliff may seem safe, but water can carry many illnesses and nasty bacterias through it, so it's always so you boil it first. Water around any pipes that dispose of chemicals or sewage or anything really toxic to the human body should also be avoided. It may be unlikely, but any water close to rotting carcasses from animals in the woods should be avoided because decomposing flash releases nasty gasses. So if you avoid hazardous water, you should be safe from dehydration, and you can continue with other activities.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  2. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Recently in our city, there has been a water shortage and people have resorted to drinking literally any type of water as long as it's water. The result? Around a hundred people were diagnosed with Noro Virus. It's a type of virus that causes diarrhea and vomiting because of intake of contaminated water or food, thus leading to dehydration and even death, especially to children whose immune systems are weak. It's really important that we know which water is safe to drink just to make sure we aren't putting ourselves at risk.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    even a few water purification tablets are better than nothing, but to my mind a water filter is a must.

4. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    De-ionised water is also not to be consumed. While it won't do much at first, it can increase the rate that our fluids go through the kindeys and become urine, so it can dehydrate us in a different way that saltwater does.
    Generally it's good to also avoiid water that comes out near factories of processing plants because some of those might dump chemical waste into the water, and metals like arsenic, that you can't easily remove from the water even with filters.

Noro viruses usually come up whenever the water source that someone is using is contaminated with feces (a lot of it actually, not just one rat-turd), either human or animal. Even a good spring can be contaminated if there's a city drain nearby, or if there's an infestation of rodents that uses that water spring/source for sustenance.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In my younger years, when there is water shortage and the tap is dry for a week, we resort to buying water from the artesian well. I remember my mother using an old (but clean) white shirt as filter so we can drink the water. But I see some people drinking directly from the well. And that was the olden days when underground water used to be pure and clean. Now you may be courting an ailment if you drink water from any source. Even the tap water is not safe anymore.

My father-in-law used to tell us about the purifying tablet although I haven't seen that yet. And my best bet now when there is water shortage is boiling water. Some decades ago, it was unthinkable for the people in the Philippines to be drinking mineral or bottled water since we are in a third world country and drinking water is the least in our necessity (because of the clean tap water). But now, even the poor drink bottled water.

6. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the chlorine tablet shout. Chlorine tablets are very good at purifying any form of water and I'd always carry them around with me.

7. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Any clean looking water you may find flowing anywhere might not be that safe to drink.

The ground through which the water flows is always filthy so it doesn't matter if the water looks clear. There will be lots of pathogens lurking in there. Before drinking the water boil it.

Or there could be something even worse in the water. Chemicals. Contaminated water could kill you.

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I have chlorine purifying tablets on hand, because all my survivalist guides claim they are a necessary thing to have on hand. However, I just can't even imagine not having clean water to drink. Even when I was stuck in Hurricane Katrina, there usually were enough groups shuttling bottled water from nearby that it was obtainable. However, in other parts of the world other than the United States, clean water will eventually cause wars, experts say. Scary thought. I can't imagine not being able to just turn on a tap and drinking straight from it.

9. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It's definitely not safe to just drink water from anywhere. Water is crucial to one's health but if you drink stagnant water or dirty water, then it defeats the purpose of drinking it. In times of water shortage, i think you can simply boil it or something. But if you have no other option, drinking water from a running body of water such as the rivers, is safe enough.

10. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I should say that water with rotten organic matter is not good to drink even when filtered because this would not be able to remove bad odours. On the other hand dirty water should not pose a big problem since you don't require to purchase a filter in adverse conditions. Even a thick cloth should be enough to filter water by putting it on your mouth and drinking the water through it. Water near toilet waste or sewers should be avoided at all costs.

11. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    How much are these and where can you find them? I was just about to ask if there was any way of purifying water on thr go when I saw your post. I guess its best to always carry emergency survival stuff with you.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ebay or Amazon. there not expensive.

13. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a great post because contrary to what a lot of people believe, not all flowing or running water is safe to drink. Definitely avoid water that's been sitting near a sick looking or dead animal. You're just asking for trouble there. Definitely get the chlorine tablets and keep them handy. I keep some with me at all times. They're really inexpensive and can be found in the camping section of most stores (sometimes in the water purifying items aisle as well).

14. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    In school I was told not to drink the ocean water unless you get the salt out of it first. I learned about making a contraption in the wild that could bake the salt out of the water before you drink it. I don't remember exactly how it is done but it would be interesting to learn. I was taught that if you drink the salt water that it will just dry you up. It would be like drinking no water at all!

15. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    It's an interesting point that you have brought up and is very often over looked. Snow does have fresh water but shouldn't be eating in great quantities. It's good if you are doing heavy work and want something to wet your mouth, but if you want to drink it, it's better to melt it.

16. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That's good information to know!I have to say, I thought snow would be ideal in case of a emergency situation, but apparently not.Although, I still think that it's okay if you consume snow in an extreme situation, just for survival.
    Another thing,would there be any way to boil water in case of a disaster? What if we collect water from warm termals? Is that appropriate for consume?

17. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    When you are camping outdoor, it is possible to run into acute water scarcity. Water may be available in a nearby pond but may not always be drinkable. You can, of course, boil such water to kill the germs and bacteria. But, you cannot remove dirt particles and organic waste. If you have carried a portable water filter, it's fine, otherwise, you may use a clean cloth folded into 2 to 3 layers to filter water and separate mud particles and organic waste.

18. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to do some research on drinking dirty water, not clearly dirty, but not filtered either.

I went to a small river bed and filled an empty gallon of water, went home and made some Kool-aid, it was delicious until I used the regular water. I noticed the difference right away, I was disgusted. The sugar and Kool-aid manipulated me. I was OK thought, I would never recommend drinking un-filtered water unless you are in a situation where it is essential because it's not worth the risk of catching something if you have fresh water. I just wanted to know if there was going to be difference in taste. I also used that same water to make a single pack of Rice Sides, it was OK I guess because the water was boiled and I didn't really notice the difference.

19. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I concur with the recommendation from several of the posters on this forum concerning the efficacy of chlorine tablets in purifying non-treated water so that it is safer to drink. I would also recommend, if the climate supports it, collecting rainwater as a relatively safe water source to drink. The normal cycle of evaporation, cooling and precipitation removes most of the impurities in the water. If you are lucky enough to live near a waterfall or white-water rapids, the natural churning of water tends to keep it 'relatively' free of pathogens as well although I'd boil it to be sure.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    unless it comes out of a tap or faucet ALWAYS treat it no matter where it comes from.

Keith H. likes this.
  21. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think boiling the water is always the safe bet. I believe that's how you make sure it's safe to drink. Boil it, then let it cool down. You don't ever want to take the risk of drinking any random water source without cleaning it first, unless you're quite literally on the edge of dehydration. There's the possibility that the water is already clean, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The only exception is that if it's water you brought from home, or bought at a store or whatever. I think that's the only appropriate time to not take the proper precautions with water.

22. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Melting the snow if you can might give you the desired results. I think that any water that does not come out of any of our man made sewers and chemical purifying centers must be healthier in some way. I might be wrong though.

23. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I am thankful that in the country where I live there is not yet the need to use recycled water for domestic purposes. I don't believe I would be comfortable with the ingesting of purified sewage water. I would have no problem if this water would be used for agricultural purposes but I hope that it won't come to the time that we in this country would have to resort to this source of water for domestic use.

24. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Three days without water and you're dead. If the choice is death or water that will cause sickness several days down the road, and you have no way to treat it, better to drink it and stay alive and hope that you can get treatment later before lack of water kills you. Talking stream or pond type water, not something badly contaminated that will make you sick right away. If you have a glass jar and can leave the water in the sun for a number of hours, it can help kill many little bugs that can harm you. Filter it through cloths.
    Having the skills to know where water is commonly found also go a long way.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    never assume that any water is safe to drink, all water is suspect unless it comes out of a tap.

Keith H. likes this.
  26. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with lonewolf, never trust a water source unless you know where it is coming from, & even then it needs to be boiled. You can guarantee that somewhere along any water course there will be a dead animal. In farm country you have fertilizers & 1080 feral animal baits (unless poison baiting is banned in that area).
    If you want to know all about safe drinking water & how to treat contaminated water, there is a very good article on our group's forum at:
    http://eighteenthcenturylivinghistory.freeforums.org/safe-water-t396.html
    Keith.

27. Aleksi

Aleksi New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    There are many pools of water in the world that will make you more thirsty than you already are. Stay away from still water especially because that means it has time for all the bacteria to rise and grow in the sun. However, if you find a stream or a small waterfall it is almost like a natural filter and that water is the cleanest in the wilderness. Some other liquids to stay away from are obviously salt water, urine and a couple more, I think the best is to filter water on your own or find running water to drink that's clean.

28. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can never be sure that running water is clean. If there is a dead animal lying in the water course higher up, or if someone higher up is defecating in the water, then the water is contaminated. Filter it as best you can & BOIL it.
    Keith.