What Would You Stock Up On?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Toast, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you could choose one material to stock-up on, in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, barring food and water, what would it be? There would be a lot of sought after materials, such as toilet paper and other supplies. What do you think you would stock up on? If you stuck up on more than you need in a lifetime, you could also have a surplus and use it to barter/trade for things you do not have.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One material? One item only? Well I can't say medical supplies then. I will have to say antiseptic or gunpowder or toilet rolls or soap, depending on what is available. If you are getting enough for trade, then I think you have a death wish. Someone will kill you & your's & take everything.
    Keith.

3. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I would actually be open to trade. Regardless if you have food, water, or anything else. In a post apocalyptic scenario, people will take from you regardless. I would store up coffee, tobacco, and alcohol. Highly addictive and valuable commodities that you can trade for food, water and anything else you may need. If it's not trading goods, then it be guns and ammunition.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd be more interested in things like nets, fish traps, traps-as in trapping, camo nets.

GateCrasher and Keith H. like this.
  5. Edprof

Edprof Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I'd hate to choose only one material to prep with. If I'm facing that choice, I've already waited too long to begin.

I believe that to prep / survive in the long run, I will need to make a good showing in these seven basic areas:

1. Security.
    2. Secure shelter
    3. Replenishable water and food. Just having a storehouse is not enough.
    4. Adequate but basic medical supplies
    5. Money or precious metals or other goods for barter
    6. Energy. Beyond fossil fuel energy, though have some could be of great help in the short to medium run.
    7. Communication

Accordingly, we have built towards those seven areas, trying to keep balance among them. There's an old saying that you can't eat bullets. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be without them either.

GateCrasher and Keith H. like this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    5. Money or precious metals or other goods for barter
    7. Communication

I don't see money or precious metals being of any value after the fall, surely they will be worthless? What use would these have?
    Who would you want to communicate with?
    Keith.

CountryGuy and poltiregist like this.
  7. Colt Eckert

Colt Eckert Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    That's a tough question to answer. I would probably stock up on ammo. 22LR would be more practical and you can carry more but I will have to go with either 5.56 or 7.62. The reasoning is I would want plenty of food for the rifles I have.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that I would rather go with 22lr ammo because it will kill anything that I might encounter and not tear up the meat of small game like a more powerful round might. It is also much lighter to carry so even a few thousand rounds wouldn't be backbreaking to transport. As trade material...well almost everybody that has a gun will have a 22 in their armory and need ammo.

Nowadays with all the different loads available, it is even more versatile than it used to be. For birds and such the subsonic are great and some of the new hypervelocity rounds are better stoppers than most people realize.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm stocking up on liquor. Has no shelf life. Has multiple uses. Everybody wants it either to celebrate or drown their sorrows. If nothing happens I will be drunker than a sailor with Cinderella Liberty. Bottoms up. :confused:

10. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    1/2" CDX

GateCrasher and TexDanm like this.
  11. Gsidarap

Gsidarap New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol is a good idea along with precious metals, gold, silver, etc. I make homemade wine and I trade it for other things I need. It more cost effective than buying it and you can tweak it however you want. Going to start with vodkas and rum next.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    CCI segmented sub sonic .22lr

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The 1/2' CDX plywood is a good idea. A bunch of corrugated metal might be handy too. Lumber should be pretty easy to find. With the population cut down by 90%, there will be lots of empty houses to get lumber out of.

PS: As far as hooch goes I think that having the equipment and knowledge to make my own is priceless. I was making homebrew when I was 9 and have everything that I need to make my own still. If you don't want to build your own LOL you can order one from Walmart!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Gallon...=sem&msclkid=2397e712f8b811fc9774bbd55aebd51f

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  14. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Salt...

remember all those old time foods people used to have survive on before refrigeration? Salt pork, salt cod, salt beef, pickled this and that... I don't think near enough people think about that. I mean sure we can, can up to the point we run out of lids or the reusable ones are usable no more and then how do you store a lot of foods beyond smoking. People will need large quantities of salt to pickle and ferment foods and to long term cure meats

GateCrasher and Morgan101 like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I bought pool mineral salt in 50 pound bags. It is coarse ground but is salt and lasts forever.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing about 1/2" CDX Plywood is, that for those who figure to bug-in, reasonable to expect some or all of your windows and doors may get damaged or destroyed. It could get cold in that case. Don't forget the 8d common and/or 8d duplex nails.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    plywood is something we should have anyway I think-cut to the size of the window and stored away ready for use, windows will need to be boarded post SHTF so any light we are using is not seen from outside, (light can be seen at night 3 miles or more away) curtains and shades probably aren't good enough alone.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    propane,non-ethanol gasoline,diesel and kerosene...why?..its a force/labor multiplier.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    and all are very dangerous if there is a fire.
    post SHTF there wont be any emergency services.(which is why I don't intend to stock such flammable materials myself.)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    do you ever make a post not being negative about another choices or preps?

you really need to step back and read your posts a bit..my 2 cents.

some of us are prepared to live like cavemen/women in groundhog holes nawing on raw meat but our daily lives are such we are far more advanced in preps and abilities than the average person.say what you will, i will keep my fuel storage full and adding to various things as it directly adds to my daily life now.

as far as fire...pffft...an asteroid could fall and squash me..i wont let it effect my daily life of living. theres a reason fuel storage is kept separate to itself.

i dont know how or where you live but some of us live remote as in no access to services so we have to stock supplies for our daily lives now.

every been to or on a working farm.ranch...we have our own fuel storage facilities..both above and below ground levels depending on owners choices.

i lived a place by ibme and we had a ship pull up, unroll a hose across the water and fill multiple storage tanks....lol

GrizzlyetteAdams and CountryGuy like this.
  21. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's some storage.
    not my thing i'm going for the simple life, i'm sorry if my comments offend you, I tend to think about the downside of things, its just the way I am, we cant all be the same and it would be a boring life if we were, i'll leave that to the sheeple.
    i'm a little confused as to what you mean by a "force multiplier" I have only ever heard of this used in some combat situation not a residential context.

23. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    What all of those fuel stores have in common is that they're sited well away from the actual residence.
    Our LPG tank is about 30 yards from the house, sited for ease of access when filling. I store diesel in a tank that is on the other side of the tractor sheds. Bottled gas is in a shed with two mesh walls to enable any escaped gas to dissipate rather than build up in an enclosed space.
    Fuel is safe enough if you treat it with respect.

24. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    gasoline for chain saw with oil mix.

25. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    All good suggestions above.

Currency is good to have for unexpected minor emergencies, or if nothing happens at all. PMs are a hedge against Zimbabwe or Venezuela style inflation, or a currency crash in general (with the US dollar in my case). While nothing is 100% guaranteed, gold and silver have been used as a medium of exchange for thousands of years so it's a good bet it will be again if paper or the current nickel/zinc debased coins become near worthless. Also useful for bribes, trust in people's greed and you'll rarely be disappointed :)

Comms (two-way radio) we use now, mostly short-range stuff within a few miles. Also for perimeter security with wireless motion sensors, another set of 'eyes' and backups in case the dogs are sleeping on the job. Our group, if the rest make it here, will be in different homes within a 1/4 mile area if the SHTF so radios will be a lot faster (and potentially less dangerous) than messengers for passing info. We'll likely also split up at times, with one group hunting, fishing, wood gathering, etc, while the other remains at home so radios will allow us to stay in contact in the event a plan changes or someone needs assistance. Receivers/scanners will be helpful for gathering information, tactical and strategic, on what's going on both nearby and hundreds of miles away. If we have the manpower I'll be setting up a 24x7 radio (and fire/security) watch to listen for any closeby radio activity, as well as news or information from afar. Radios of any type might make good barter supplies too, I'd bet there's a lot of people today that don't even have an AM/FM radio anymore except in their car.

Another item you already mentioned was soap. I'd expand that a little to include disinfectants. Preventing disease will be important, and most soaps and cleaning agents have a long shelf life, so they'll get used eventually even if the apocalypse never happens. Bar soap, liquid hand soap, laundry soap, dish soap, abrasive cleansers (Comet/Ajax), pine oil (Pine-Sol) or chlorhexidine for countertops and floors, etc.

Morgan101 and elkhound like this.
  26. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think elkhound meant that as fuel for mechanical devices, it would provide more mechanical production (force multipliers) ability. Tractor vs. draft horses.

elkhound likes this.
  27. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    we are good...peace be with you.

i will go into some details but i am waiting on grizzgal to start her thread about advanced prepping to make posts there and not blow this thread up to bad with long posts.i will give her a few days.

28. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    yes..but it goes way beyond that...i will be waiting for grizzgal to start her thread on advanced prepping/living and show some details of what i am talking about that includes your examples and mine.

29. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Consider how many BTU's you burn to cut and split a cord of wood and the rate at which you can do that with say a hand saw, ax and splitting maul. Now with a couple gallons (or liters if you prefer) of gas you have a much higher btu density and look at the rate with which it can be applied. With a chainsaw and a wood splitter how fast could you cut and split and if you used up that fuel completely how much more wood than a cord might you actually process? And in what sort of time? It's like you're doing the work of 3 or 4 men,. hence force multiplier. A rototiller vs spading a garden by hand.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I like the idea of a quiet firearm for small game, but most .22 subsonic ammunition may not cycle my 10-22s or my autoloading pistol. I suppose I could pick up an inexpensive single-shot or bolt-action repeating .22, but I have a lot of higher-priority things to spend my retirement money on.

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  31. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey think about the pruno the guys make while inside! Post SHTF, think anybody's gonna care about vintage. However, there are some-top shelf-Scotch drinkers who'll kill for the real thing, you got this in its original bottle, sealed. And they will do you if you try to cheat, the nose knows. On more than one or two occasions, my eldest son and I have paid over $100 U.S. for a great Islay. This Nipponese "Scotch" coming in, I laughed at ... until I tasted it. OMG! (Did I get that abbreviation right?! I now feel so young.)

Don't EVEN flash gold, unless you are doing one big deal and you got a squad of your armed friends behind you. Post SHTF, gold coin = suicide ticket. Old silver coins, you can get by with -- who doesn't have a few; coin collections, your dad and uncles flipped you a few. What the hay! Even if it raises an eyebrow, they still won't think you are "in the money". And look (and be) evil when dealing with silver. If you are a killer, the street folk will see it in your eyes. The best stuff is on the streets and nobody talks, business is business. Squeaky-clean = danger. A preacher is far more likely to shoot you than a gambler. Prostitutes are not angels, they sold out their own hind end when push came to shove (was that dirty), they will sell you out for sh##s'n'grins. And if addicted, they are 10x more dangerous. And 90% are addicts/alcoholics.

Best of luck.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the hands of a man on his game, an Anschutz and a few bricks of Eley can get some work done.

And you can gimme a .22 target pistol, bull barrel, target chamber with some Eley ammunition and I'll make the angels cry.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There you go!

There are some accurate rimfire target rifles about. Put an aperture sights on it and find out which ammunition it likes. Watch out, many used target rifles have had their bores cleaned until useless -- can't shoot them out, but the non-professionals clean them with aluminum rods and clean them way too much. Use the best standard velocity ammo.

That said, you are right. You want something real and something that will reach out there and do the deed.

Some "different" rifle calibers to consider:

Lever .357, .41 mag, .44 mag. They are short and they are fun and they are lethal. Ammo for .357, I've had 500 rnds in a gym bag, not too heavy, ten 50rnd boxes. You can throw in a .357 revolver in the bag also. You got a 36" rifle and a gym bag full of candy.

I am a fan of the .22 mag. This little number out a rifle has over 300 ft/lb.s of energy. Makes a .22 bore handgun shoot like a .22 rifle in energy. Out a handgun, a .22LR just doesn't cut it for anything other that tin cans and squirrels. I get all irrational in my support for the .22 mag. This is cruel/sick but true: it did the job on Bobby.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Commercial warning! Commercial warning! You may wish to turn your head.

Bush's Best BBQ Beans

Mt. Olive bread-and-butter pickles

Mt. Olive chow-chow, hot or regular

All of the above will keep for one long time ... I guess ... unless you eat them like crazy. If you are like me, you'll be making trips to the store to re-stock. Just true.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry that I mentioned food. I am bad. I was totally unable to stop myself.
    Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am also possessed
    thththththththththth.raspberry.thththththththtththththththththth!!!!!!
    of Satan.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Go for the 151 proofs. Grain 190 is being phased-out. Maybe it's a law in a bunch of states, I don't know. In the 151-ish area, you got your rums, vodkas, several others. When the SHTF, water the stuff down and barter it = best use. Also, this proof kills bacteria for fun and relaxation. Yes, you can use it to clean-out wounds, but Providone is better/cheaper for the cleaning of wounds.

Can you get this crap in plastic bottles, if so, you don't gotta worry as much about bottle breakage. We're talking SHTF, quality kind'a goes out the window.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it depends on how big a place one has, when I lived in a cottage on the moors we had an open fireplace and chimney, we chopped and stacked logs twice a year and that was enough for our use. they say firewood warms you 3 times, once when you cut it, once when you stack it and the third time when you burn it.
    oh and we don't use a rototiller or a spade we have raised beds.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Does anybody use peat to heat?

I mean, if you live where there are peat deposits anyway, then hey, go dig it.

What do landowners where peat is located charge you to dig it?

We Americans do not realize that there are huge peat deposits in the northern USA, states like Minnesota.

Where I'm from, coal is king. The coal trains roll just 300 yrds south of my house. My home rumbles several times a day. Oh that horn is so mournful. The trains take over 5 minutes to pass going 50 mph, so maybe each train is 4 miles long.

For my grandparents coal furnace I shoveled a small mountain of "stove" sized coal (it was like one and a half inch-ish stuff). Grammar school into Jr. High age I was. Shoveled it into the hopper and the hopper had a hell screw that sent the coal into the furnace.

Near where I used to live, the trains were there also, and once I saw a train carrying Army tanks, M1 Abrams. I pull over our Oldsmobile with our three little kids onboard and we watch the train go by. We were there 4 or 5 minutes -- and I do not know how long the train had been running before we got there. So on that train were hundreds and hundreds of those tanks.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/renewable-fuel-burning-peat-zmaz75zwar

e3608406b35651f85accf5aeb61b61e7.jpeg

https://www.geosci-model-dev-discuss.net/gmd-2017-152/gmd-2017-152.pdf

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/peat/SWStloPeatRep.pdf

https://www.ruralmn.org/rmj/rmj_winter2014/rmj2014q1minerals/

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. lalakai

lalakai Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    not sure if this would qualify as "food", but stock up on heirloom seeds that aren't genetically crippled.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    for me: #1 = coffee; #2 = tea; #3 = vitamins; #4 = heirloom seeds; #5 = hand gardening tools; #6 = OTC medicines; #7 = baby wipes & toilet paper

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  42. Colt Eckert

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Quinine and mosquito netting. Water purification tablets. Noone wants to get a bad case of duck itch from drinking from contaminated streams.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I thought quinine was for malaria not bad water.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Colt Eckert

33/58

Blog Posts:
    It is for Malaria. Correct. It goes with the mosquito netting. The WPT is also a good idea. You never know what has been in the stream. Two different items to stock up on.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got the WPT and the camo netting (too cold for mosquitos here), and the water filters.

TMT Tactical and Colt Eckert like this.