What You Need To Find First

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by John Snort, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    In a survival situation when you don't know how soon you'll get help or if you'll even get it to survive you'll need shelter, food and water. Which of them should you try to find first? Since someone can do without food for a number of days your focus should be on finding water and shelter first. You can then turn you attention to hunting, foraging, etc.

Trying to find food first could prove to be a costly mistake because unless you find water, you could be dead in less than five days.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    since you can live without food for 30 days but only 3 without water, then water should be first on your list, then shelter-get out of the wind and weather, then fire to keep you warm, then food.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Water is definitely the first thing you should look out for, but keep an eye out for foraging opportunities (as long as what you forage is not poisonous, do you research) on your journey, I cna't count the amount of times I was so focused on water and shelter that I completely overlooked "stashes" of berries and other various fruits. It's also a good idea to plan for a fire.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if the resources aren't there-food, water, shelter material- move on until they are.

5. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Lonewolf. Water would definitely be on top op my list. Food you can live without for a long time, but water and shelter will most probably keep you on the go.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If you are there for the long haul
    Roam around for a while close to water and make a few basic temporary shelters!
    Do not build shelter next to permanent water! shelter should be well away and above any possible flood level
    You can travel to food!
    You can build several shelters for the different seasons if you are going to be there that long!

Zyphir and Moroccanbeauty2266 like this.
  7. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. I have to agree with you. Finding water first is a very important part of survival, as water constitutes around 90% of our bodies.If you find water, then you can at least survive about a week without any other nutritious needs.Although, in the mean time, you should have been able to find food and a shelter. That's why building a shelter for these cases are very important, as it can change your life, and dramatically increase your survival skills.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Water would definitely the most important thing to find and if found in abundance it would even be better if the climate is extremely hot, it could cool you down as well as preventing you from being dehydrated. The survival rate for having water and no food is many time higher that having food and no water. The determination of whether food or shelter would be next in line could be determined by weather conditions because if's extremely cold you would want to hastily build a shelter.

9. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have thought about this question a lot. I have, also, been involved in a survival retreat where we had to figure this out. My strategy, ultimately, be to find a good water source. I would then want to get a good fire going, and start on my shelter. What if you were not able to find a water source? Would you drink your own Urine if you had to? I know I would do my best to filter that pee, and get something made to boil it. Although, I do not think we truly know what we would do until we are actually in the situation. I am happy to see that there are sites, like this one, that people are able to come to and learn "preparedness". It is important to discuss these situations, in my opinion.

10. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Water is by far the most important. Find a safe and reliable water source. If you don't have water, you will not survive to find the other things. Also, if you find a water source, it is very likely that there will be food sources there. So it's pretty much a two in one kind of deal.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    And a shelter you can construct pretty much anywhere so once you find water, you have essentially found the location of all 3.
    But yeah, unless you are in some damn extreme climates, dehydration will get you before the elements will. So water first, then figure out the rest.

12. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the fact whether it is day or night when you arrive there you should either seek for water if it is daylight or shelter if it is night time for obvious reasons. Water is always a must for the reasons we all know but we also need to have some weapons to defend ourselves while searching for water. Not only because we can defend ourselves but also because we will feel more secure and confident.

13. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Clean water should be the top priority when under such difficult situation. You can live for days without food intake but lack of water in your system is a different story. Finding a safe place to stay is obviously a necessity also.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  14. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Let's say that I am a survivor of a plane crash in the wild. The first thing I would seek is a safe place where I can rest and take stock of everything. More likely I would be shaken or even traumatized so I would need space to rest my mind and body. I don't think food and water would be my priority when I am shaken like that. What I would search for is people who can help me. Maybe I would be shouting for help (but I wouldn't start a fire). I admit that I would be in panic as the sun goes down because the hardest time in an alien place is night time. If I fail to find people then I would search for a safe place as a shelter.

The food and water would come to my mind when I feel it. Probably I would feel the need for water and food will come on the next day.

15. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    If guys are in the wild, then there is no point in finding water first, as it needs a fire to be boiled first. So if you were dropped in a jungle or somewhere unknown, I would locate a spot to bunker down for the night, while keeping in mind of the other resources that I need. Finding a spot that has water resources close but not that right next to it, due to over flooding and mosquito's. Once you get your make shift and temporary shelter up then you can attempt to make a fire to keep you warm and the smoke will keep the mosquito's away. You can sleep a night without having water as bodily functions will hold up without water for 72 hours. If you have daylight, you can attempt to find a water source.

The very next day you can search for water and if you had kept that in mind while you were locating for a secure spot to bunker down, it shouldn't be a problem. Look for low lying ground, heavy vegetation, cactus, banana stump, even salt water can be desalinized with the right material.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    water first then get out of the weather, so a shelter next.

17. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    How are you going to boil the water? You need a fire right? But don't you need a fire at a base camp?

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    water first, then a shelter, fire next, food last.
    I suppose you could build the shelter first, but scout out the water before you start building, if no water source then don't bother shelter building, move on until you find a decent water source.

19. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Obviously, looking for a settlement with a steady access to water and shelter are a priority. Finding food comes second, if you can fish in freshwater neat, if
    don't, then is time for some foraging and hunting.

20. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    As a lot of people have said, I think finding water first is the safest bet. You can be extremely fatigued if you don't find food soon, but you can get really sick, if not straight up die without water in a timely fashion. I feel like that's the #1 rule for a lot of survival situations, secure clean water. Clean water has to be the most important resource in a lot of situations in life, not just survival related. But when we're talking about survival, clean water can be hard to come by. You want to find a source for it, because lugging around gallons upon gallons of water isn't really efficient.

21. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it's best to get shelter then water. It's really smart to prioritize that could save your life. You have to protect your self from rain or maybe snakes, so you should build a shelter off of the ground. The second thing to do is get water because you can go longer without food than water.
    The last things to do is get fire, food and figure out how to get rescued.

22. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Water -> Food -> Shelter

Ideally, you should be prepared for the first 2 if you can't be prepared for all 3. Then the first if you can't, etc. You can function without food, you can function without shelter. After all of that, you can start focusing on your timeline, what is important to get done now vs what will need to be done later, etc. It's fluid and depends on the individual.

23. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with those who say that water should be the first thing that you need to look for in a survival situation.
    The main reason is because you cannot live without water longer than three days, whereas you can live without food for a much longer time period.
    Hopefully, you find a lake, river or stream nearby and then I would try to find a place that has a lot of shade and trees and build a shelter there.
    With time I might find better places for a shelter but I would stay there first, build a fire and then try to collect as much food as possible by hunting for plants, insects and animals....

24. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I completely agree, the first thing you should look for is water because once you run out of it, you will be in big trouble. When it comes whether you should look for food or shelter second, it really depends on your situation. If you are in an area wherein you are not susceptible to dangerous predators or bad weather, you can forego looking for shelter and focus your attention in finding food. It's also worth mentioning here that there are types of food that can also provide you with much-needed water. That said, as you look for water, try to keep an eye on possible sources of food as well.

25. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    For me It would depend on the survival situation, ultimately Water and Shelter come first, as food sources are plentiful in this day and age.
    I'm 50/50 on it though because.

Shelter: Because it gets you out of the elements, or gives you cover from other Predators or Threats

Water: Because your body wont last to long without it.

I'd probably go with water though, Mentally and Physically we need it, We as humans could sleep anywhere.

26. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    When surviving I think that the first thing you must find is a nice open area for shelter and if possible a nearby water source in that area. It would be a terrible idea to set up shelter way too late before nightfall since it will leave you vulnerable to many insects, wild animals, and the climate. If you were to find a nice cleansed open area to create a shelter in you get to lounge around in a comfortable and endurable zone instead of a cramped and dangerous forest zone like area. In addition, most open spotted areas tend to have a water source nearby which would greatly benefit you in surviving since it means that you will not have to travel very far to acquire some water. Remember to boil it to remove the bacterias.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    do not build your shelter too near the water, not only could it be prone to flooding but its also where wild animals come to drink, if you live in bear or puma country this could be a problem.

28. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    True indeed. Although if you had a safe water source it would be good if you were able to craft some primitive tools, such as a simple fishing rod and grab yourself some meal to have enough energy as well. Shelters is also advisable, especially if you end up in forest. Perhaps find a nice big tree where you could make a primitive shelter. Although keep in mind, you are not the only one in the forest who can climb the trees. If you could find a small cave that would be also great as long as you find the way to close it of. If you can't, having a fire source and torch would be advisable since you can scare potential predators away.