When is it time to bug out?

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Dutch, Feb 12, 2016.

When is it time to bug out? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Dutch

Dutch Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Anybody have any societal signals that would signal that it's time to get out now, tomorrow, or in a few days? It would be nice if Anderson Cooper would come on CNN and say "OK, time for all you preppers, survivalists, and conspiracy theorists to hit the trail." But that's not likely to happen. I personally don't want to wait till people are shooting each other at the grocery store to get my move on. What do you guys think?

hades_leae and Keith H. like this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Be ready have your suff in good order and ready plan ahead where are you going explore there get lay of it as that gets better store stuff there so its there when you get there and really when your ready go

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    When it gets to bad go ! When your fed up with crap going on leavebette to survive than be in a bad place

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends where you are. I live in the countryside and things would have to be really bad for me to leave, something like fire or flood.
    if someone lives in a city they would maybe have to get out a lot sooner that I would, but do they have anywhere to go? or are they like refugees just HOPING to find food, water and shelter? the chances of survival in that way are not good, not good at all.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Dutch

Dutch Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    All very good points. However, I'm wondering if anybody has anything in particular that they are watching for in the news (mainstream or otherwise) that, when they see it, will push the 'let's go!' button. For example, I am watching the oil prices. Right now, oil is traded in US dollars. If the OPEC and other oil trading nations decide to change that to another form of currency, then the dollar would possibly collapse, creating a very bad situation here. That is just one example of a societal trigger in my mind. Anybody else got something similar, or totally different, that they're watching for?

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd be watching the economic situation for sure, but for me the trigger would be more geared towards people's behaviour, are people getting more aggressive, more arguementative, more protests, that sort of thing.

MKprepper, Keith H. and TheJim like this.
  7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Three things to have on hand for bug out rolls of black and clear plastic and two bundles of fan fold insulation good shelter quick anyywhere

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    signs of SHTF:
    1. more violence in your area.
    2. group behaviour changes, survival brings people closer together and makes others less human.
    3. dead streets.
    4. new leaders emerge.
    5. NOBODY TO TRUST ANYMORE.

9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Both Tom & lonewolf make good points, & I agree with them. You yourself pose a very good question Dutch & frankly it is a hard one to give a good answer to. For instance, violence appears to be on the increase over here, house invasion, domestic violence, rape, murder. Very few involve guns, but the corrupt government of ours is still trying to take our guns from us. They have already confiscated all the semi-automatic guns that were legally registered.
    Using Terrorism as a fear tactic the government hopes to get the majority of ignorant citizens on side, & have already implemented a militarised police force along with more restrictions on our freedoms. The police have been given extra powers of arrest, invasion of property & privacy. To me this is all very scary.
    Federal government funding has been cut to social services & women in crisis centres. The poor are being taxed & the wealthy pay no tax at all. Large corporations pay no taxes. Our human rights are being abused, guilty until proven innocent, no protesting, & our constitution is being totally ignored & nothing the government implements is going to referendum.
    If all this is not a sign to get out of Dodge & dig in, then I don't know what is, but the problem is that all this stuff is implemented bit by bit over periods of time so it is really difficult to get a handle on just when it is going to hit the fan. The majority of Australian people will NEVER rebel, they would watch their own country men being marched into a gas chamber & still not even protest, "she'll be right mate" is the Australian motto, but she won't be right, not at all.
    Keith.

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I spend a lot of time monitoring different news sources!
    In Australia the gravy train is still rolling on!
    Per capita and except for recent migrants the crime rate is falling, has been for decades!
    Migrants are different though! a mere 5% of the population mostly migrants are responsible for over 60% of the crime!
    Unless we go looking for trouble we are very safe here!
    There are not enough police now as normal response times are slow and any major rise in crime reporting and the police just won't handle it!

When I notice any major change over a short time It is time to bug out!

Arboreal likes this.
  11. hippyzomby

hippyzomby New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    See in the town we lived in before I was worried
    Crime was going up
    We were hosting the war training for the first time.
    We had government vehicles coming in, military vehicles coming in.
    We were not told a lot other than it was a training excercise but we had read online they were getting ready for something.
    As paranoid as my husband is we did not stick around.

MKprepper and Keith H. like this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wise decision.

13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's a good idea to wait until things get bad, but it's hard to say when they will turn sour. I try to stay as informed as I can with my town. I wouldn't tolerate certain things, so the second something I don't agree with is mentioned, I make sure I'm prepared to leave. It's a good idea to be prepared for a bad situation, regardless of what's going on in the present. We never know when things will go hectic. It's not very likely that my town is going to go up in flames, but I'd like to be prepared if it does.

Determining an upcoming disaster is hard. Our best bet is to pay attention to the news, but sadly, you never know what is being fed to us and what is truth.

14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Determining an upcoming disaster is hard. Our best bet is to pay attention to the news, but sadly, you never know what is being fed to us and what is truth.

Check many sources for news! some of the big events have been fortold on the not so mainstream sites.
    I get a lot of news several hours to days before the mass's.

I run a simple code system, code three is my normal status and is a three hour to go status!
    code two is a one hour to go status and code one a ten minute status!

I do a bugout rehersal each year with varying degrees of success!
    Do a though de-brief afterwards and try to improve for next year!

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that if one can move out of town or city, then it should be done as soon as possible. If you can't afford to move to a property, then you will have to wait until it hits the fan. I guess you will know when this happens, it will be all over the news, unless it is a situation that overrides the normal media outlets & I can't see this happening straight away. There is bound to be some warning. The main thing is, that IF you are serious about preparing, then you need to be ready to get out at a moments notice.
    Any major survival situation will cause total panic, everyone will want to get out of the city & the highways will be chocker. You may have to ditch your vehicle, so your gear must be in packs that you can carry on foot. This could be on your back, on bicycles, trail motorcycles, quadrunners or on trekking trolleys. If you are taking small motor transport with you then you will need a trailer, or you could leave the car at home & leave on the other transport.
    A 4WD, IF you know how to drive one properly, will get you most places, but if you have to leave the roads, then a trailer could be a problem crossing open farm land/bush. Don't forget to carry a good pair of fence wire cutters in the vehicle!!! Along with a wallaby jack & a winch. Two spare wheels would also be a good idea.
    Keith.

16. CarlosTL

CarlosTL New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    There is an anecdotal story about the 1929 wall street crash and John D. Rockefeller (I think), who was able to sell all the poisonous assets just days before the crash. How did he manage to predict the crash? One morning he was shining his shoe and chatted with the shoe shiner about which stocks were doing well, and he told him this and that stock, and Rockefeller said to himself that if there is such a consensus about these stocks even down to the level of this shoe shiner, then there must be something wrong as valuable information is often exclusive and not something an overwhelming majority would agree upon (same concept in game theory).

The lesson of this is that the sign that something is going to happen is actually when most people think that everything is OK. There are other hints but I like that game theory principle. Good predictions are never popular opinions they are always a minority voice.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    MKprepper and Keith H. like this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting concept. Well everything seems to be going okay here, in the cities anyway, not so good in the country! People have been forecasting another Great Depression for a long time now, but so far nothing. Will the UK leaving the EU make any difference? I have no idea, this stuff goes right over my head. We have just had our federal elections, the choice being between two parties, a rock & a hard place!!! Both parties are totally corrupt & do nothing for Australia or it's citizens. As I understand it most people are voting for independents, but I have no idea what this will mean. Maybe we need a recession to wake people up, get them off the fence or their heads out of the sand.
    Keith.

18. CarlosTL

CarlosTL New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    There is also this famous story about the "Queen's question". The queen asked economists why no one was able to foresee the crash of 2008, and the response was grounded in a sort of a philosophical argument, about how we can never predict a crisis because when we do, we act to avoid it and it doesn't happen..

I think it's a psychological thing also, you'll be most vulnerable when you're absolutely sure that what your doing is absolutely right, this is when you let down your guards. When you think "it's ok but I still have to be cautious", then it is more of a sane and balanced position. Before the crisis of 2008 there was just an abnormal level of confidence in the system and optimism about the future and complete oblivion regarding the debt, deficit and real-estate bubbles, very few if any thought that this could ever be a problem

19. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I would setup my on international news center on a website that I personally designed, so that I could use programs, and online software for developers that would allow aggregation of information from many different sources. I would keep up with all the updates on my cell phone because I know for certain that the government is not going to say anything about something that will cause a national panic to happen.

Even if they do, they will make it sound as non threatening to the average person as possible because that's their job, which is to lie to the eyes of the people in front of their faces. My news center would be bad ass.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    when is it time to bug out? probably only you can answer that for yourself. its not probable that SHTF will be "one big bang, event over, now its POST SHTF", it could be but its not likely. no, its more likely to be a total of a lot of little things, each hardly noticeable by themselves but the sum total will be what causes the collapse of civilisation.
    its also going to be more noticeable in the cities as that is where most people live, so the effect will be more pronounced and far reaching.

21. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    The mrs and i after my tours as a marine moved here to our little place. And settled in hard work and effort we are very self relient we rarely do without we started with 5 acres now have 111free and clear they are ours

22. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the scenario that scares me most, and I am least prepared for , is a riot type situation. If riots were breaking out, I would rather be in the woods alone than in town any day! The thing is by the time you realize something is happening, it may be too late to safely leave! I would probably panic and try to flee though. Then, I don't have a husband and I live alone. I think the first thing I would want to do is get to my father's more rural property and hope he is there. I am not at all prepared to defend myself.

23. CarlosTL

CarlosTL New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:

Yes absolutely, and it can also happen gradually and worsen as time go by to the point of mayhem while no one is noticing. At the beginning of the 2008 financial crisis, people thought; "well a company goes bankrupt and the markets react what's so bad? That's casual." It was only after several weeks (for others several months), that they realized the scale of what was happening.

24. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We live out of town on rural acreage off the beaten path, with backup power and water, so our plan is to bug in for most problems. Things might well be different for those living in the cities. As to when, well, it depends on the disaster.

One thing I will add, if there is an evacuation order, do so. People have gotten lunched ignoring said. Like those who decided to stay, or couldn't leave for some reason, in NOLA when Katrina hit.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the last time an evacuation order was issued in Britain was in WW2.

26. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think we are already having more aggression, more arguments, protests, and more conflicts with our own militarized police. I'm not trying to hit a panic button. I think its time for people to educate themselves on survivalist ways, begin storing important items, and mentally prepare themselves for any possibility. Hopefully those precautions will never be necessary.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the trouble is most of the "normal" population wont do this, they assume "it'll never happen" and if it does "the government will save us", so they do nothing until its too late.
    I've been active on forums for several years now and its only people like us who will do anything, everyone else thinks we are crazy and they do nothing.