When the SHTF Will You Share What you Have?

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by ziskasun, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Recently and interesting question was asked....If you have been preparing by storing food, water, meds etc. are you prepared to share if asked? How many of you would share, let's say with your neighbors or extended family who shows up at your door? I'm not saying we all think alike or that there's any requirement here. Just wondering. If it meant you would maybe run out of supplies sooner or have to skip a meal would you share with others who are hungry?

omegaman and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Definitely no. Whatever we have is for the people we have around us, family & friends (all living in one place).
    Keith.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I will share but on my terms only!
    And no one will be asking me for food as as far as they know I don't have any!
    I have no delusions of feeding the mass's but I will help a few!

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm with Keith and Arkane, for the most part. What's mine is for me, close family and friends. I'll do what I can to help those that need immediate medical attention or aid, but other than that, I know it's impossible to help every single person I see.
    No matter the situation, taking care of yourself is the most important thing. Sacrifice will only get you so far, especially in terms of survival.

MKprepper and Keith H. like this.
  5. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Most of the responses to this are completely correct. You cannot share. These people first should of had the foresight, like you did, to be prepared. Second, I don't let a single soul know that I am prepared because they will come knocking in droves if they realize that you definitely are the one that is prepared. Honestly, they'll come knocking anyway, but at least you have a chance of convincing them that you are also not prepared if you haven't flaunted the idea that you are ready for anything. Besides, I'm a bleeding heart and want to help, but there are only a certain amount of resources you can have until there's an end. Helping people is literally only taking food out of your mouth or other resources away from the people you're actually supposed to love and be doing this for. Because of that reason, I can't really justify giving up my valuable commodities.

MKprepper likes this.
  6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    In a short term emergency? Yes, to both family and the community, with in reason. I have engaged in community response and that did include contributing my time and supplies. I'd do so again.

In TEOTWAWKI? Most family. Everyone else is on their own. Sorry, if the lights aren't coming back on, my household comes first. That might sound harsh, but it is the reality.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  7. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It depends on how much I have, and how permanent the emergency is. If I have a lot, and I can barter for what I have, I think that's a smart idea. I could use it as an avenue to get what I don't have, that they might. But if it's just giving away free stuff in a long term situation, I think that's very unwise. If it's something short term though, and I could save someone's life, I think it'd be wrong morally not too. But in long term survival, even if it means saving their life, if they're that unprepared you probably wouldn't even be saving their life for long. You need to be responsible, and think about your own future.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not prepare so that I can be a resource for those that couldnt be bothered to do it for themselves.

NoExcuses and joewhitecrow like this.
  9. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely do my best to help out in a short-term scenario since when planning for emergencies, I try to build in a 20% margin of error for unexpected contingencies. This question is sort of similar to should there be welfare for those who are "down on their luck". In both of these cases, temporary help to tide them over or get them back on their feet is useful for society but you don't want it to evolve into a parasitic situation. The line separating these two conditions can be difficult to discern but, yes, I would provide temporary assistance if I could.

10. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    It's everyone for himself when SHTF. Except for your family and maybe a friend or two who you are sure would put himself in harms way for you I wouldn't help anyone else. People you help can become enemies when they realize that if you were out of the picture they could have everything you stashed away. That's why I wouldn't help anyone. But I doubt they'd able to find me in the first place.

lonewolf likes this.
  11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Depends what would happen and how the situation evolved. In general, I'd of course share with the members of my group. (which would be close family and maybe a friend or two) Anyone else? Nah, let them sort it out themselves.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I read a long time ago that if you feed every waif and stray from your own food stores pretty soon you will find you-and yours- are the ones that have no food and are the ones that are starving!!
    if you intend to feed others make sure you have a separate food store especially for this purpose. personally my answer is a flat NO!

MKprepper and Keith H. like this.
  13. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I did say before a definite NO, but I guess if we had enough food growing & enough food stored, I would not want to see someone go hungry. But me & mine come first.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  14. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    no good luck dont come here

15. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    So to those who say NO no way!
    What if you lost your stores for any reason, say a house fire or whatever but it is all gone
    What then do you ask others for help?
    All the game has been shot, all the wild edibles harvested all the good campsites already taken etc!
    Do you ignore that no trespass sign and risk getting shot by some survivalist nutter playing god! and deciding if you live or die?

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not prep so that I can be a resource for those that cant be bothered.
    others can share if they wish, but unless they have EXTRA supplies above what they have laid in for their own families, pretty soon they will find that they and theirs are the ones starving.
    good luck with that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  17. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Food is cheap now very bloody cheap!
    Why oh why not stock extra, it will be the best investment you can make!
    Food is a resource so are people! learn to use them to your advantage!
    I have stocked 400% of what I think I will need in food,
    Food will be power in the brave new world, stock it deep and then some!

I intend to be there to set the basics for a new community to thrive
    Having food in the land of the hungry will get me influence!

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    this is a survival site, anyone that dosent prepare dosent belong here.

MKprepper likes this.
  19. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    I just keeping my large stash to myself and loved ones, i have a medium sized stash for trade when SHTF. i also collected every book in PDF format that i could get my hands on and put them all on a memory stick, im thinking that as communities begin to be set up in the aftermath of SHTF it would only take a small genny a laptop and my library of skills could be put to use to rebuild.
    its a long shot but you never know huh?

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    forget bartering, that will be a long time down the road post SHTF, could be years.
    collect the things you need to survive post SHTF and hang on to them.
    nobody knows how long it will be until the dust settles and its safe to think about "communities" and such, until that happens we are all on our own.

MKprepper likes this.
  21. joewhitecrow

joewhitecrow Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    WELL my family consists of me and my black lab. PREPPING has been on the media and reality shows so its not a secret The 2000 computer scare and the MYAN calerder got people thinking. The state of the world is broadcast every day 24 --7 news so , common sense tells you [PREP} the civilized ??? world as we know it could crash at any time. So my answer is [NO} i would not share, prepping is main stream now, so if you dont prep dont expect those that do to take care of you, I wont.

MKprepper likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you must share then for crying out loud have a separate stash for this purpose, DO NOT feed them out of your main supply.

joewhitecrow and MKprepper like this.
  23. joewhitecrow

joewhitecrow Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    OR get you KILLED.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    feeding others is not on my remit, but some more religious types might feel it is their duty.

25. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    That is a possibility
    There will be danger everywhere and keeping all to yourself might get you killed later as well!

If my family died from starvation and I did not then those who had and hoarded without sharing would suffer retribution from me!