Where to Get Pain Medication or Pain Relief

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by judyd1, Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Getting older means developing health issues, especially ones that involve pain. Now, I know a lot of you think that in a collapsed society, the weak, vulnerable, and elderly will not survive, but those aren't the only groups in our society that experience pain as a daily fact of living.

Given then, that many survivors can expect to have to deal with ongoing or new health issues involving pain, what are some ways of obtaining relief from pain, either naturally or artificially? I'm guessing that this will be one of the first sections of a store to be raided (pharmaceuticals). Therefore, pain medications as we buy them now may not be an option.

Also, if you stockpile acetaminophen then, can I be your friend?

2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There are alternative methods of ameliorating pain. One of these is gentle massage on the affected area with a warm cotton rag. You can also employ cold compresses using ice crystals or cooled water. Increasing your intake of magnesium also builds resistance to pain. Some people also additionally employ mental distraction to keep the mind off the pain by thinking of other positive issues which engage your mind like sweet gospel music, the works.

3. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    One pain herb that sprouts everywhere and is a painkiller is the poppy. Both the simple poppy as well as the afghan poppies that make opium are useful as painkillers.
    P_UILtbGJiDstG9MGu1c7fg7CsvvscEN.jpeg

Although only the opium poppy can produce the actual opium, other kinds of poppies produce milder kinds of opiates.
    The seeds are very dense in analgesics and are sold as a spice for bakeing goods. Using a pinch of poppy seeds in tea can help relieve headaches and mild pain, while larger doses can knock you out. This poppy seed tea was once used around the balkans as a tea to relieve the stomach pains of uneasy babies, to enable them to sleep soundly.

FYI: This is the opium poppy:

P_UILtbGJiDstG9MGu1c7fg7CsvvscEN.jpeg

And they take the "milk of the poppy" by slicing the green bulb at the side before it becomes a flower.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    white willow bark .

5. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    First of all raiding stores for pain medicine may be a horrible idea. Pain medicine can cause addiction and even overdoses, plus the supply would eventually run out. There's nothing worst than a drug addict that can't get a fix. If you could grow marijuana this would be perfect for a natural pain killer that has ,mild side effects. The problem is you would need a serious green thumb in a survival situation to grow this right. But this has been proven to relieve pain in M.S. patients.

6. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    With medical marijuana being legalized almost everywhere maybe it's time we got to embrace the fact that cannabis can be great for relieving pain if you can't get hold of any pain meds.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20100830/marijuana-relieves-chronic-pain-research-show
    So I think everyone should buy marijuana seeds and save them. Then learn how to grow cannabis. When shtf you'll have something that will help kill the pain.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    oh boy, post apocalypse we'll have a load of stoners-just what we need........not!!:D

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Stock up now I have.

9. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    There is quite a bit of knowledge and work that goes into growing marijuana properly, especially if you don't live in an area with a lot of sunlight. I think post-event the survivalists that have the knowledge and ability to produce marijuana will be in demand.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I doubt that very much, they'll be too busy putting food on the table.
    growing weed isn't that easy, that's why its usually hooked up to the electricity mains in the UK.

11. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    That's what I'm saying, it's not easy to do so those people that have the means and the knowledge to do it will be in demand. Marijuana has many uses and would probably become a primary medicine, it may be hard to grow it but it's not as hard as trying to manufacture the kind of medicines we have all got used to. Also, although usually here in the UK people use electric lights to simulate sunlight, if you had knowledge regarding how many hours of sunlight the plant needs and when, it would be possible to grow it naturally.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think we get enough hours of sunlight in the UK to grow this, I think you need to be in a hotter country, time would be better spent growing something else like say, oh I don't know, off the top of my head, maybe FOOD!

Lisa likes this.
  13. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha yes of course food, but if you are already growing food it wouldn't be a bad thing to also grow medicine.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you could grow it that's what I'm saying, I don't think its possible in the UK without an electric hookup.
    if you could grow it, you'd have to disguise it a bit by say doing a bit of companion planting, otherwise you'd have every stoner in the area helping themselves.

15. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    You could do it in the UK but only in the summer months, you need about 16-18 hours of sunlight on them. Yea you would have to disguise them, possibly with tomato plants, I don't think it would just be stoners, it would be everyone, same as with food.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not something i'd be doing, of that i'm sure, too busy with other stuff.
    I don't take much pain medication myself, my stocks would last me a long time, and wife being a herbalist would probably come up with a better alternative to dope.
    like I said before, white willow bark, grind it up and drink it like a tea.

17. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Dope only needs 10 hours a day!
    But it needs warmth! it needs 20c overnight minimum to do well!
    Still go's so so at 15c minimums but under that and it go's dormant!
    And over 40c water or not it suffers badly.

18. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    At least in current society, you can't grow marijuana in the UK because the plants can smell so strong so unless you live in a large detached house with gardens all around it, you're unlikely to find somewhere that it won't be easily detected.

We used to live in a terraced house and someone in the street was growing pot in their attic. The fumes were floating down through the vent into my daughter's bedroom. She was a baby at the time and every morning I'd go in and wonder what the smell was. Only after a while did I realise it was the smell of weed.

I have no issues with people smoking it or anything, I think it should be legalised in fact. But my partner had a big issue with it and rang the police who had to go into all the houses to find it. We moved house before I ever found out what happened about it.

There is an abandoned factory near to our house that recently led to two arrests of guys that had broken in and used the space to grow pot. When I was walking past on my way home, I could see all the police cars and stuff. The smell was overwhelming and I was a good 20 metres away.

Basically, I don't think hiding it would be as simple as putting another plant in front of it to disguise it, the smell is very strong.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no, your right, I forgot about the smell.

Damorale likes this.
  20. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    It wouldn't exactly be the same as trying to hide it from the police though would it? And you could be growing other things like lavender etc to mask the smell. Someone would have to get pretty close to your camp to be able to smell it, assuming groups were living in camps that were relatively far away from each other.

21. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    There are people who grow weed in the mountains of Jamaica and they live off the grid. It is possible to grow weed naturally in the wilderness you just have to know how to do it. The Rastafarians have been doing this for decades.

22. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Well in a collapsed society I don't think people will be worried about the cops. If were talking post apocalypse people wouldn't need to worry about laws or order, they have to use there own judgment. If it comes down to needing pain medication this is the only thing
    that would even be effective. Unless people can get hold of prescription pain killers there going to be screwed without weed.

Lisa likes this.
  23. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    One thing we don't need is people in pain either. I can understand your point of view because you live somewhere that it's illegal.
    But where I live medical marijuana is legal in most states and has been proven to be effective. I'm not talking about smoking weed all day I'm talking about using it for medication.

24. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you that tea is not going to help someone in severe pain. There have been studies showing that marijuana relieves pain in M.S patients and that is severe pain. I see you keep referring to marijuana or cannabis as dope. Marijuana is still a plant just like any other plant with medicinal properties, I don't smoke weed often but I don't consider it dope either.

25. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the English meaning to the word "dope" compared to the American meaning of the word "dope" is very different. For us it's just another word for marijuana, like weed or pot. At least in a colloquial sense. The Oxford dictionary defines dope as:

informal A drug taken illegally for recreational purposes, especially cannabis:police arrested a protester for smoking dope

tb65 likes this.
  26. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Lots of herbs that you can grow from home may be able to help you in terms of survival. But they are also not as effective as scientifically made medication, so you really need to get your hands on them if you have a chance. You can't rely on stone age style of fixing conditions, we are in the 21st century and science has come up with lots of amazing leaps in pain relief, and medication in general, to the point where we can actually have vaccines for deadly diseases that have plagued the past.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all medication we use now had a base in nature, its just that the pharmaceutical industry now uses a lot of chemical and petroleum substances instead.
    these may be okay for now, although most of them if not all have side effects of one form or another.
    but in a post collapse environment stocks of pharmaceutical drugs wont last long, the shops and stores will be empty fairly quickly-the druggies and looters will soon take care of that, and what you have stocked at home wont last forever, at some point you will have to find an alternative source of medication, or go without.

28. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Trip to dollar store get all kinds of pain relief icey hot stick asprin a list to long to make

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, surprising what you can find in a £1 store in the UK.

30. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    If your on pain meds from a doctor your a legal addict. Ive been shot twice stabbed blown up and on fire my back has been broken and my knees are worn out i take no pain meds GET TOUGH PAIN ONLY HURTS IF YOU LET IT

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have osteo arthritis aka arthritis of the spine(old injury whilst being self employed) I take no pain killers, I have a store of them "just in case" but I find keeping moving will over a short space of time "walk off" the pain. I don't like taking pharmaceutical medicines and keep it to an absolute minimum.

32. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I believe that there are many plants out there that can help you cope with pain. I've seen from many documentaries about Thailand's Medicinal treatments with herbs and leafs. I do believe it works and in case of a disaster it can become very useful!

33. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess in this sense that word could be used. In America with the newer laws it wouldn't make since to say that. So now I'm understanding the difference between words and our different cultures. Basically we both speak English but a different way.

Damorale likes this.
  34. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to pain and medication, the first thing that comes to my mind are the herbalist. I don't think I would be able to find something for a simple toothache or headache since I don't know anything about herbs. And herbalists don't use just herbs but also parts of other plants and trees. Like the bark of a certain tree that they boil to control diarrhea. They also know the leaves that can treat different health problems like ulcer or even diabetes.

Maybe that's one thing we have to learn now in preparation for survival situations - knowing curative herbs and leaves even for mild sickness like headache.

35. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It's not that hard to grow marijuana, they don't call it "weed" for no reason! I think it would be a very useful and needed medicine in certain survival situations. Keep in mind I am in a place where it is legal, there are thousands of people growing it in my town and I assure you they are not master gardeners! LOL :)

Common Acetomenophen (Tylenol) is also actually one of the most effective pain medications available if not taken too frequently, and it is very inexpensive. I generally keep a pretty big stockpile of this around just in case.

36. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I might be in the minority here for saying this...

but if society collapses, you can bet both buttcheeks on that sweet ass of yours I'm gonna wanna smoke a joint. Growin it, end of story.

Aloe vera is cool too.

37. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    As someone with chronic pain, this is something that I've thought about myself. It's funny that you mention stockpiling though, because I've seen couponers that do stock up on NSAIDs. It's a pretty smart idea, when you think about it because I totally agree with you, the medication and any medical supplies would be raided extremely fast in a store. As far as natural options go though, I've been told that yoga is great for pain relief. I have yet to actually try it myself but I've been meaning to look up YouTube videos and learn how to do it.

38. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been known to take the odd ibuprofen tablet for pain, but not very often.
    these are available in all UK supermarkets, 25p for a pack of 16, they don't seem to care how many you buy, stock up on these or paracetamol if you need to.
    prescription drugs are another matter however, our health centre dosent allow us to have much of a stockpile and prescription requests are date sensitive. so generally I can only store enough for maybe 2 -3 months that's all.

39. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    An effective and safe medication for moderate pain is a combination of ibuprofen 400mgs and paracetamol 1000mgs taken together 3 times daily with or after food. It is important not to take this on an empty
    stomach as it may cause gastric upsets and always leave at least 4 hours between doses. Both of these can be purchased in all UK supermarkets with no questions asked.

40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ibuprofen is available in Poundland, 3 packs for a pound.

41. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    the easiest way to deal with pain relief is through nature, not to say that all of nature's plants are as strong as medical pills, but many pills have natural herbs in them, it's still hard to make the switch to plants for pain relief because many people are addicted to pills. Growing your own weed many be the cheapest way to have some relief from pain, and it's legal for medical usage in many states.