Where to Plant a Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by WildernessXX, Apr 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildernessXX

WildernessXX Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Survival situations come in many forms. You could end up crashed in a plane wreck in the middle of nowhere with no rescue in sight. You could end up on a cruise liner that sinks stranded on a deserted island. Natural disasters could occur. War could break out. Society as we know it could altogether shut down. When this happens knowing how to garden will be an extreme benefit to all those who have taken the time to learn this rewarding hobby.

BEKW8kK9BkEyBa1vRN5-FrS196uwxzvS.jpeg
    The best way to learn about gardening is to do a little research and reading and then plant one yourself. Knowing where to plant a garden is very important. This will be based upon what you are growing. If you are growing fruits and vegetables that do best in full sunlight, you will want to make sure to give your garden as much light as possible throughout the entire day. Some plants, however, require partial shade throughout the day so you will want to grow them near a tree line that casts a shadow.
    BEKW8kK9BkEyBa1vRN5-FrS196uwxzvS.jpeg

When planting a garden, it is a good idea to place makeshift scarecrows and other deterrents to keep animals from ravishing your crops. It may sound gross but by peeing around your garden on the outer perimeter you can deter animals from messing with your food. The smell of humans is generally enough to make any animal run away in fear.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    A good gardener should know the characteristics of his plants. I admit that I am not a good gardener but I am always trying to remember whatever I learn from our small garden. I was advised to plant vegetables that are easy to grow so I opted for root crops which are really easy. Starting with sweet potato, there's no need to cultivate the entire bed. Just cultivating the part where to plant the planting material is enough for sweet potato. Another root crop is cassava which is also easy to grow as long as there is water. From what I see, root crops are the easiest that includes yam and the white yam.

For the non-root crops, ginger and onions are the best in terms of easy to grow. But pardon me for these 2 vegetables are also root crops in nature. However, the young onion leaves are also used for cooking some dishes. I almost forgot the garlic which is another root crop in the genre. I am posting these root crop because I have some experience with them. And in fairness to me, I have also planted tomato once but not much successful because it was attacked by the white pests called aphids.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    You can also create a makeshift greenhouse. A greenhouse isn't overly complicated to make and you'll have the pleasure to enjoy vegetables all year. The advantages of planting in a greenhouse are many, but the most important is that the plants are protected from low temperatures, getting a microclimate instead of having to wait for normal off-season planting. We also make our own nurseries for seedlings, in order to get them ready for an upcoming spring-summer season.

There are plenty reasons to attempt building a greenhouse when you are lost in the wilderness. To have a sustainable source of food that doesn't totally require the local nature
    to thrive increase our chances of survival.

4. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I have seen a lot of people have a garden at home in the same place every single year. The big problem with that is that they switch up what they are growing and the area does not meet the needs for the crop (because some veggies like more sun than others). So, the crop doesn't do as well and they are much more disappointed than their previous efforts. Also, people who don't use fertilizer and always plant in the same place will eventually deplete a specific area of land, especially a smaller space.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Plant your garden where you have space. It will require a lot of sunlight, so don't choose a shady location. But if the soil is less than perfect, it can be ammended. Find a chicken or turkey farm and ask them for some of their manure. It helps to build up the soil. You can turn some of the crummiest dirt into good rich soil that way. Leaves and compost will help too.

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Planting doesn't necessarily need a big space because you can use the small parts of your backyard or you can have them in planting pots. You can have an indoor garden by planting on pots and choosing plants that are good indoors like herbs which doesn't require too much sunlight.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gardening is not a hobby for us, it is a necessity. Fencing is also a necessity here to keep the larger animals out of the garden. Fencing can be wire if you own the land, or if you have to bug out, you can make a brush fence or a fence made of sticks & larger timbers. Making your garden near water will save you a lot of carrying. Making your garden in gullies will help hide your garden. In the wild your garden will be a clear sign that someone is living close-by.
    Keith.
    aG4d5T7mV_QViLgUm3XvjrALu52n4oWS.jpeg