Which piece of the modern world would you miss most?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by PracticalToby, May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Let's say the worst happens and disater strikes, but you and your family are safe in your well-prepared bunker/cabin/hideaway. You have enough basic food and water and can survive for the foreseeable future. What, if anything, would you miss from your modern existence?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    absolutely nothing.
    I will not miss queues in the shops.
    I will not miss traffic noise.
    I will not miss people spitting in the streets.
    I will not miss rude people.
    I will not miss ignorant people.
    I will not miss pollution.
    I will not miss the phone ringing all day long.
    I will not miss trolls on the internet.
    I will not miss junk mail or cold calling.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Probably gonna miss internet, and books. But If there is not much to do, I probably end up writing something as long as I have pen and paper, or a computer and electricity available, but not internet service. Do anything but sitting idle for days.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you wont have time to be idle.

5. JThePoster

JThePoster New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Well first of all I would miss the internet because I live on it. Second, when it comes to nature, I would miss all the parks and the people I would go and talk to because its a lot of fun socializing.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sounds like you might have a problem then post SHTF.

7. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm honestly not sure? Maybe I'd miss the health care that keeps me alive on average for 30 years longer than say 1000 years ago. Other than that I feel like most of the modern world is more of a burden on the environment than beneficial and therefore would not be missed at all.

lonewolf likes this.
  8. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    There's not much I'd miss. Money? Nope. I wouldn't miss it and neither would I miss anything it could buy. To be honest if all the modern conveniences were gone overnight I wouldn't be sad to see them go. Life would be much better without them. They've made most people selfish and lazy.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, we live in a consumer society, just about says it all dosent it??

10. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm surprised everyone is saying they won't miss anything, especially the inconveniences mentioned above. However, I think these inconveniences are something we will subtly miss. Personally, I would miss video games a bit, however, I'm pretty sure that with proper equipment, I can manage to bring along a portable game hand held with a rechargeable battery using a solar powerbank or something to keep me busy on boring days. Not to disagree with @lonewolf over the fact that I probably will not have much time to do so anyways.

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Apart from heralthcare and security, I guess the worst would be to part with the marvellous communication we now enjoy. From lesser things like posting at international forums or the posibility to travel on holidays, to the fact that I can easily afford to visit my cousins in the Netherlands from time to time, it's all great and we tend to take these opportunities for granted, but they were available to only the richest people just a dozen decades ago. It would suck if we had to return to this situation.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. terryse

terryse Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I guess , i would sorely missed my freedom to roam around freely without fear. Maybe, since i will be in hiding, i would also miss the sunshine of the day, the green plants, and the fresh air every morning when i walk around to exercise.

13. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nothing! I am somewhat comforted by knowing that there is medical assistance should it be needed, but on the other hand I have had some bad experiences with untrained staff in hospitals so I am of two minds. No, I don't think there is anything that I would miss.
    Keith.

14. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The one thing that I would miss the most is the dang internet. It has been apart of my life since I was 9 years old and now I am 32. I know that I will survive with out it but it will be very hard on me. I would miss it very much. I really enjoy writing on the survival forums and checking my Facebook often. I enjoy taking photos and messing with Photoshop. I think I would miss the luxury things to like running hot water and of course a stove.

15. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Availability of healthcare services and the internet I think. Although I think there are a lot of things I would miss, we enjoy such a convenient lifestyle these days and to be suddenly thrown into a world where none of these things are available would be a huge shock to most people.

16. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    These are things you never really think about unless you go to visit a third-world country. When I went to visit a third-world country, I realized how much I took showers for granted. The thing I would probably miss the most is a hot, private, convenient shower. I would miss feeling super clean and smelling good. Then again, probably everyone would smell a little bad. See, these are things you don't think about until you've been to a place that doesn't have these things.

17. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would miss things that trigger certain emotions, such as listening to music and just chilling a bit. Another thing I would miss is having a real roof over my head and a door to lock behind me so I can feel safe. Running clean water would be another thing it does not necessarily have to be a shower, it can also be a bathtub.
    I would not miss the material things, such as shopping malls, crowded trams and busy streets.
    To have more calmness around you and just be in nature would be good for your soul, but you have to take your brain with you, of course.

18. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    People :( I don't like everybody, but I love people. It's just a thing. I like that they're living their own lives and they have so much potential to do so much, they're like a little disorderly ant colony to me :) And the women. Especially the women ;)

19. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I would miss technology. About everything else, I will probably be glad to see it go. But technology is amazing and I am pretty good at it.

20. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    From the top of my head, what I would miss most is the refrigerator. It is the symbol of nourishment for me in this modern time aside from giving me the comfort of cold drinks especially during summer when I put ice on my drink. It is also the storage of leftover food that we would be eating on the next day.

You may be surprised that I wouldn't miss the internet. And why? There are nobody out there with the internet so what's the use? Even my phone, it's okay as long as I have what I need to survive. This is not a prayer but I hope that when a survival situation occurs, I would have the presence of mind to remember all these things I posted in here.

21. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I would miss the spontaneity and variety of life. Being free to move around the village and towns and the internet as well as the weather. In a secluded location, one has inner peace if they have a higher goal in life like religion. Then you won't miss the internet and many worldly conveniences but you will no doubt miss the weather, the warm caressing sun.

22. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    To acknowledge that I will never have the chance to go to a theater to see a highly anticipated Action film again will take all that I enjoyed from my considerations. Days where I arranged something that did not taste great I will miss all the Pizza shops and Chinese take out spots. On the off chance that the Internet is no more and wifi is no longer accessible then I may shed a tear in bewilderment. Rest In Peace to everything that I have ever known, nothing can ever take their places.

23. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Probably the internet actually. It's what is allowing us to discuss in the first place. I've become extremely dependent on the internet for everything from entertainment to information to communication. I would find it difficult adjusting to life without it at this point.

24. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Smartphones and Internet most likely. Growing up with these things, it's really impossible to imagine life without them. I can live without these conveniences of life if i have no choice but if i can have them, i won't go anywhere without these pieces of technology.

25. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Like many others, I would miss the internet most of all, but honestly, as long as I have the people most important to me around, I'll be good.

shcoo likes this.
  26. shcoo

shcoo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Silly as it sounds, I would miss TV shows the most. A major way I have bonded with my peers and friends has been discussing TV shows and theories about them. The experience of going to a movie theater has also been a comfort to me since childhood and I would miss the escapism involved in that too.

I would also miss Taco Bell and air conditioning, but I think that's true for all of us...

27. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with what your saying. If you have a strong since of spirituality, you can be somewhere without a tv or radio or most things people use today
    in the modern world. In the beginning of time people didn't have all these things I think they had a stronger sense of spirituality. Not having a lot of distractions also gives you a lot of time to think also.

28. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, the internet. The problem is that a lot of time seems to be spent here that it's a bit difficult to pass a day without it. The most evident part can be observed through a little self-experiment. If you're a person who uses the internet quite a bit for entertainment purposes, try disconnecting for just a day. You will see how much free time you actually have on your hands.

29. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Communication, if I don't have any. I mean both 2-way communication, such as checking on loved ones with a phone call, to simple 1-way information sharing such as weather reports and the like. I hope I never lose either one. I thought about learning ham radio and buying a cb or walkie talkie set for family. I will probably end up scooping them all up and keeping them with me though. That will be problematic though since I am more able bodied than many of my family members. I have one family member in a wheelchair, parents who are getting up in age, and keep in mind I love them all very fiercely. My first thought during a weather event is how to check on them or get to them.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the internet and mobile phones are the least likely things I will miss, frankly I can live without them, I lived without them before and I can do it again, I will be pleased to do it again.
    but I don't think many of the general population will be able to live without their technology, which is why I think the mortality rate will be high, especially in Britain.

Keith H. likes this.
  31. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    i hate to admit it id miss this phone just for the music thaat is on it any song is there

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my mobile phone is only for emergencies and only comes out of my pocket once a month to see if it needs charging!!:D:D

33. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I got shot of my mobile phone many years ago when I retired from the security industry. But we have been thinking of cancelling our land line in favour of mobile. We would have no need for phones post shtf.
    Keith.

34. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    im not a phone person but these new one are unreal with what you can do with them i will miss the music

35. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely miss computers. I'm a programmer, and I like to develop applications for money and as a hobby. I would not want to see this industry go if it did. The era or programming started so many decades ago, and grew to pretty much be everything we know that has anything to do with everything digital.

36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    how true that is.

37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    quite honestly i'll be glad to lose all of it, phones-mobile and landline, computers, the internet, electricity and all the other mains services, and especially all the bills that go with it all!

38. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think this may be true of some city people, but not those of us who choose to live in country/bush/wilderness areas. I rarely listen to music, The internet is useful but not a necessity, I do not watch,listen to or play sports unless you include tomahawk throwing & I rarely see any friends out here. No, the whole world can go to hell in a hand cart & it will make little difference to my way of life or living conditions.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  39. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    If the SHTF the thing I'd think myself and my family would miss the most would be sitting down to a meal we didn't have to scavenge (so to speak) for in front of shitty prime time TV viewing (RBT or Highway Patrol anyone? MKR, Masterchef, The Block...) and then going to bed in our secure and climate controlled home.

40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    really? that's the sort of people who wont survive SHTF if they cant live without such things.

41. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Please show where I said I can't live without these things.

Missing them is a different thing, I think any sane person will miss comfort and security.

42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you miss them that much you put it on a forum then I say you've got a problem.........maybe.

43. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I was literally replying to the topic at hand.

Between your irrational Islamophobia (and twisted fictional version of what Islam is) that you've displayed in other posts and the fact that you literally are jumping on someone for being honest in a topic, I highly doubt that I'm the one with the problem lonewolf. I'd do fine in a SHTF world, I'm just willing to acknowledge that creature comfort have their perks.

...I thought I had you on ignore anyway. Meh, I'll fix that now.

44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i think you have me mixed up with someone else with your talk of Islamaphobia. I don't hate moslems, what I hate is TERRORISTS who say they are moslems who murder 22 little children at a pop concert.
    which has nothing at all to do with "what piece of the modern world would you miss most?".

45. AntwanCeja

AntwanCeja New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    wow, I guess one piece of modern world I would be missing is a solar panel, batteries, led lights, peltier cells.... There are many things we have in this modern world, I really can't think of them all... I just know I would be missing a lot of things, not to mention a pc, internet, videogames, a big screen tv...

46. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Sun light

47. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Electricity, clean running water, clean available food from near and far, medical care, a warm dry home,
    social contacts (the ones I care about), not worrying if my extended family is eating well, and healthy,
    and just about everything in our world today.
    The question didn't ask what I would NOT miss so I'll skip that.
    Humans are social animals. Humans learned back when the saber tooth tiger stalked them the benefits
    of banding together.
    If man were meant to shun social contact then man would still be living in a cave playing with his
    pud for entertainment.
    Of course there are downsides to human society. There always will be.
    Wars and crime for instance.
    Wow.
    How horrible we humans can be.
    Humans are, or should be, problem solvers.
    I would not want to be a sour naysayer.
    Believe me I've seen much of the very worse of the human condition from being a career
    police officer.
    I've also seen people in the very worse of circumstances being the very best!
    Those that genuinely want to, prefer to live alone and shun all other human contact suffer
    from at least an emotional disorder or are downright mentally ill.

Here's one, a poor woman I knew personally:
    • ag·o·ra·pho·bi·a1
      /ˌaɡərəˈfōbēə/
      noun
      1. extreme or irrational fear of crowded spaces or enclosed public places.
    • trog·lo·dyte1
      /ˈträɡləˌdīt/
      noun
      1. (especially in prehistoric times) a person who lived in a cave.
    Humans often show the very best when things are at the very worse.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

48. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    humans also show their very worst when a catastrophe happens, just watch some of the newsreels taken of the aftermath of such events recently.
    maybe afterwards, a lot time afterwards, many months could be years, then maybe some form of tribal community or village is possible, but I wouldn't guarantee it, it all depends on the survival rate and competition for resources.

49. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Internet and cars. I like to waste my time youtubing or watching movies online. So I'd definitely gonna miss that. Also cars. Travelling now a days is faster because of cars. With out cars, a simple 5 minute drive can be 30 mins walk. Horse, bikes and other modes of manual transport would be available but it's not gonna be as fast as a car.

50. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy a lot of modern technology, but as far as missing it, I can't think of anything I could not adapt to not having. I have a happy life mainly because I don't dwell on what I don't or can't have.