Who would you want to make friends with in a survival setting? Who would you want to avoid?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by judyd1, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    And how would you tell the difference before you got to know someone? They might just be playing you along to see what resources, if any, you could be "persuaded" to part with.

You can usually (not always) count on family, but what about strangers? Do you just go by gut instinct?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Discounting people you don't know, I would choose someone who is timid or one who looks stupid enough. It is difficult to be with someone who looks and acts smart because if the guy would plan something sinister then you would have a problem. For an idiot, it looks like harm is distant since the idiot's mentality is not designed for evil deeds. That's for my personal safety.

For the survival, someone who has the patience and bright demeanor who could lighten up my mood. It is important to have a positive thinker in the group when in survival mode because you cannot afford any discouragement. Some hunters would say that when you are lost in the woods, it is like playing chess with yourself, you don't bluff your way but you have to be honest.. but when things go awry, you have to fool yourself to be on the positive side.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Initially, after a disaster you don't need any friends. And even afterwards you may need to make-do without friends. If people can't be trusted now in normal times then you need to be extra-cautious when SHTF.

For me I don't think I'll want to make friends in a survival setting. Trusting people . . . it's too risky.

champagne likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nobody and everybody:D
    if you don't know who to trust-trust nobody. okay so I ripped that off from a trailer for NCIS-LA but its still true!:p

champagne and John Snort like this.
  5. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    No one. Under such difficult situation, people are more inclined to trick you into anything that benefits them, everyone at this point are desperate for food/weapons. So i'll be cautious and i wouldn't trust anyone outside my circle of friends and family.

champagne likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    It feels the best idea is to ensure you have a group of trustworthy friends before the emergency occurs. If not, it helps to know good your neighbours, so you can tell which ones can be trsuted, and which are antisocial to begin with, or likely to break down mentally or physically when facing hardship.

Of course, you never know whether the idiiot is really an idiot, or a Bad Guy posing as such to infiltrate your group. It takes longer observation to determine that.

champagne likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if there is even the slightest doubt-TRUST NO ONE, you cant afford to post collapse.
    people will lie and cheat to get what they want and if you get it wrong you will suffer for it.

champagne likes this.
  8. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, but you have to be healthy, very well prepared and willing to live a rather austere life if you want to rely on literally no one. I think it won't be an option for most of the people, even among the prepper community. There are goign to be situations that you can't handle on your own or with family only, like medical emergencies, where you really want a doctor, not just soemone with basics of first aid.

champagne likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you might not be able to rely on others, like I keep saying, not everyone is going to survive the collapse, the survival rate is expected to be quite small, almost single percentages, whilst this might still be a lot of people finding out who you can trust is going to be at best difficult and at worst a matter of life and death.
    many people could be left on their own-not by bad planning or not prepping but by sheer bad luck, we each have to make the best of it as best we can by our own endeavours.
    watch out, in these circumstances "Strangers=Danger".

champagne likes this.
  10. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I had a dream last night about a post apocalyptic world, and living in the wilderness with my partner and our daughter but eventually looking for a more urban area to try and settle in where we might find more food supplies and fresh clothes. In the dream, we decided to follow a rail track and eventually found our way to a train station. When we arrived, there were people immediately swarming around us, trying to figure out whether we were hostile. It turned out the people were good and friendly, and there was a woman who was the leader of them all cooking away in a kitchen to provide meals for passersby.

I know there will be some good people, even when SHTF. But in the dream it was terrifying to be swarmed by strangers who could easily have killed us for our supplies, or even our flesh. There will be communal shelters of people helping and being helped, but I will avoid them, because it just takes one idiot to endanger us all with his greed.

champagne likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    travelling a rail track is okay but you have to look out for others who have the same idea, and stations should be detoured around as they will be the least safe, also look out for possible "ambush" places.
    a better idea is to go overland, not using roads-too obvious-but using the roads and electric pylons and any other landmarks as a reference point to get your bearings, stay hidden during the main day light hours-movement will be more noticeable during these hours and either travel by night hiding up during the day, or travel 1 hour before dawn to 1 hour after, the same around dusk(this is my preferred travel time).
    the trouble is when you meet people you don't know their intensions, they could be good but they could also be bad, you have no way of knowing, so avoiding them entirely or remain hidden until you know what their actions are, is a wise and safer move.
    like I said, if you don't know who to trust-trust no one, that way you wont be taken off guard.

12. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Screw everyone, if it's not family, and I have a stock pile of everything that I need, I don't care to connect with anyone else in the world because they are a danger to my life, my stock pile, my family by default. It's the Dog Eat Dog scenario, you can't ever be too secure with your choices, it might be best to block everyone out of your life.

lonewolf likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, if you don't know them-avoid them.

14. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The old Reagan maxim would apply very well here, "Trust, but verify". It is very difficult to survive by yourself for long in an survivalist setting since any serious ailment or injury could be fatal and, inevitably, humans will experience them. It is during that time that having members of the group provide temporary assistance can be critical. As long as the people you come across appear in reasonably good shape and in possession of their senses, it would probably be a decent gamble to try and join or recruit them.

champagne likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    how do you know you can trust them if you don't know them? you don't, and that one decision could be your last final fatal mistake.
    being alone dosent mean taking stupid chances, being in a group could make one complascent because there are others around, it may make people relax and lower their guard, that's when mistakes happen.
    there is only one person I know I can trust...ME!
    don't just assume that because you are predisposed towards groups that living alone isn't possible, because for some of us that is the only way to survive in a hostile and disintegrating society.

16. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it's possible to survive alone. Yes you might become ill or injured when you're on your own, but the likelihood is that even if you were ill or injured, no-one could really help you anyway. It's comforting to have a loved one bringing you chicken soup when you've got the flu and everything, and the chicken soup is good for you and might help you to recover faster, but people don't really recover from illnesses much faster just by having people around them. If my illness was serious, it's not like just because I have befriended a stranger that he's going to be able to operate on me to remove a tumour from my lungs. The average person that you meet in the wild is going to be less prepared than you, so in reality you are going to find them a hindrance on your time and resources - you will have to share your food with them, explain your plans with them, argue with them when they think they know something better than you do. And permanently be on edge that eventually they might betray you.

Morgan101 and lonewolf like this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    some one can get ill or injured in a group too, and unless you've got a practising doctor in your group-highly unlikely- the best that can happen is you get the chicken soup made for you instead of making it yourself!!
    there are some of us, and I know one or two, who survive better alone, who would be stifled in a group and would go crazy with all the constant bickering.

18. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Sad to see how many say they'd trust no one! People survive better in groups, that's just a fact. Even though some terrible things and betrayals can happen, you are better off to try to foster positive relationships and help eachother. Nothing is certain, especially in a survival situation, but I'd do my best to gather as many allies as I could in a disaster situation and make the best of them, even if we have conflicts.

champagne likes this.
  19. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The kind of person I am, I would try to be friendly but also distant enough in order to protect myself.
    Of course, if I were all alone and would miss taling to someone then I might want to have a friend to talk to but that does not mean they have to share the same shelter or food with me.
    In such a situation post-apocalypse you have to be careful who you trust and that is why I go for being friendly but staying distant.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    just approaching someone could be dangerous, we do not know their intensions which could he harmful to say the least.
    in a post event environment a lot of people will be out for what they can get.
    its probably much better to stay hidden until we know what their intent is. don't take chances.

21. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I trust no one now not even family!
    Fact is that everyone WILL change!
    Trust pre Apocalypse will mean SQUAT during and after the event!
    The greatest danger will come from those closest to you!
    Yes! the ones you trust to cover your six just might not!

For me I will only trust hot lead and cold steel and nothing with a heartbeat and tits!

22. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The old Reagan maxim would apply very well here, "Trust, but verify". It is very difficult to survive by yourself for long in an survivalist setting since any serious ailment or injury could be fatal and, inevitably, humans will experience them. It is during that time that having members of the group provide temporary assistance can be critical. As long as the people you come across appear in reasonably good shape and in possession of their senses, it would probably be a decent gamble to try and join or recruit them.

23. Rhomhie Morelh Campo

Rhomhie Morelh Campo New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    As a person i would basically hangout with them for a while, just like a typical human being having friends with him or her basically as time goes by it's natural attitude will burst out and you wouldn't know until, you try you can test the person but in the manner that he or she didn't notice that you were just testing his or her attitude because you already, build up the quality with whom you accompany with but if you find his real attitude that is not good anymore you may suggest to leave and don't hangout with him and find new friends.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Nobody and Everybody, in that order.
    trust nobody.

25. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I would try to mingle but keep a low profile go order not to be noticed. I have to admit that my gut feelings are very keen at assessing a situation and can sort of tell someone's character by looking at them. But keeping to yourself is golden as people's hearts mark alot of evil intentions. I usually befriend people of simple and plain character especially faith based ones.

26. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I have enough friends. Anyone else, unknown and untrusted is a liability.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone unknown and untrusted could be fatal.

28. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Build up your network of people you can trust before shtf. That being said a number of those people when it comes to the stresses they have never been in before might snap under pressure and become untrustworthy.

champagne likes this.
  29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    But who can you trust when the chips are down? very few if any.
    in a catastrophic situation it will be everyone for themselves.

30. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am pretty much a loner ..and have few friends by choice.

Most of my life I have worked the back shifts preferring the graveyard shift...fewer people and bosses around.

It is my way and I make no apologies for it.

I am civil with my neighbors .....and say hello to them but mostly have little to no interaction with them.

One one side of my house is a rental and occasionally I get new neighbors.

One of them is a fast food lane type fellow with a woman and kids ...and a loud stereo system. More stereo than brains.

I introduced him one day to my Ham Radio running some 800 plus watts and turned up the microphone. Then followed this with the same wattage in Morse Code.

I normally don't run more than some 200 watts and very often only what the radio itself puts out..less than 100 watts..but some people tend to think they are sitting on the only one in town. You need to remind them occasionally that they are not sitting on the only one in town.
    So many people out here are so stupid they think everyone out here works day shift hours..they haven't a clue. I can do this in the middle of the night and bleed into televisions...and other gadgets too....but mostly I don't.

One day I picked up my nephew and took him to the gun club with me to do some shooting. I let him carry the AK 47..magazine installed .. to the truck in front of the neighbors ....while they were outside making big time noise. Now ...I was nice and said hello to them...waved...etc etc ...etc.

We got along just fine since that day..but mostly just say hello...and wave as I am want to do.

I am not what the world would call...a social butterfly...and could care less what others think about this. I am driving the bus on this property.

I chooses my friends and acquaintances carefully as a result of not being a social butterfly.

I know that good times are not where it is at...but hard times...can me and my limited friends or associates go the distance while facing certain obstacles.

Do they know or are they good at certain problem solving...females included....or are they going to be high maintenance.....or trophy women???

I don't believe in letting the kids run the show or dictate how things are going to be done....particularly on my dime.

I will take it into consideration..but kids and women do not run the show on my dime. Other males as well.

If it is their dime...I have little to nothing to say about it...they reap the rewards or problems...not my business.

When I detect people with kids running the show.....I tend to put distance between me and them. They are going to be high maintenance ..I want no parts of this. Meaning they are going to need others to be "Expendable and Disposable" for them.

Not my cup of tea.

It is my way. I make no plans to change my thinking because of SHTF...or TEOTWAWKI....particularly when I am the one expected or taken for granted that I take RISKS for other people's comfort levels.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Ystranc likes this.
  31. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Can’t completely trust anyone when it comes down to it that’s why I always keep backup plans no one knows about to fall back on.

Sourdough, Ystranc and Ken S LaTrans like this.
  32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I trust no one and that's now never mind post SHTF.

33. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't trust that many people even before TSHTF

34. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
  35. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I could count on one hand, and have fingers left over, the number of people I trust now. That group is not going to increase when TSHTF. Trust, like Respect, is earned. It is not given. It would take a fair amount of time and interaction before I would trust anybody.

Sourdough likes this.
  36. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The best of friends and neighbors can turn when the food/water runs out. I trust only family. i have known them all their lives and know how they will act. Everybody else is just guess work and during a major event, I cannot afford guess work.

Sourdough likes this.
  37. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    HELL...........I can't even trust Myself. And yet, I trust a doctor, who I don't know squat about, to pretty much put me to sleep, and then jam a camera up my ass. Yes, strange, and I don't really understand.

38. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Great point. We do that far to often.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I will trust a few people that I know now. After the fall I will extend a limited trust to others. Trust needs to be based on mutual needs and equally shared responsibilities. that means NO FREELOADERS! Even if it is family if they won't do their share and get along you have to get rid of them. NO Charity ever. If someone comes to you hungry if you wish to help them offer them some hard work to earn that food. If they don't do the work you need to send them down the road. If they come back you may need to deal with them. I have one neighbor that used to be a friend but turned out to be a bum and a user. If he tries to make like I owe him something after the fall I will give him what he deserves.

The thing is that you just can't survive all alone. If you try to do that, eventually a 2group is going to show up and take you out. There is a reason why all over the Earth primitive people gathered into clans and tribes. Those that didn't died.

Friendship is a wonderful thing if it is based on shared things and is fairly equal going in both ways. Friendship that is bought is worthless and not true friendship. I have has a lot of "friends" over the years that seemed to suddenly stab me in the back. I finally understood that I was helping them and taking care of them and truthfully not getting much back except what I thought was friendship. In the end what happens is they feel like the lesser of the partnership and resent that you make them feel this way. They eventually don't need your help anymore and they dump you and treat you like you did them wrong.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  40. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe with every part of my being, That what is coming will be "Horrific", beyond our current ability to imagine or comprehend.

For what horror Germany did to Russia, near the end when Russian made the final push from the West in the race to Berlin, The Russians killed every human they encountered (man, woman, child, infant) so massive was the hate for what the Germans had done. So is the scale of horror I completely expect.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I go by the old saying: "if you don't know them, haven't worked with them or spent time with them, then DONT trust them", I live by this on a daily basis.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If their not my friend now they probably wouldn't be my friend during the apocalypse . I don't plan to travel far from my retreat unless I am part of a hunting party walking to another parcel of hunting land we own .Looking at various posts I gather m0st don't have adequate supplies . Some would let children starve ,others are looking at cattle ,horses or other livestock in their area with the intentions of preying upon them and stealing the resources of their neighbors .I have heard the excuse , my neighbors will be dead so it will be all right for me to take their stuff . The fact is, if their neighbor has the resource they covet ,their neighbor has probably got a better chance of surviving than the so called prepper looking at his cattle or whatever the so called prepper needs . Someone looking at someone elses resources as part of a survival plan is the folks likely to be shot "their what I call looters not preppers " . I bought an old childless couple that lives down the road an cheap pack of toilet paper yesterday and stashed it back for when SHTF . I am simply not so unprepared that I have to shoot my neighbors or steal .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if someone is dead is using their supplies stealing? or would you rather it be left to rot and decay? I would call that scavenging, something I already do today with unwanted stuff( dumpster diving).
    if they are still alive, then yes taking is stealing but if they are no longer in the land of the living someone will come along and take what is left eventually. if not us then someone else.
    I don't advocate killing a neighbour but if they have succumbed to injuries or disease that is another matter.
    i'm not saying that scavenging or stealing as you put it, is the only way of surviving, putting ones total survival on the hope of finding stuff lying about will in some places come to nothing, and may only be feasible in cities anyway, and could see the person dead in short order. no this should be seen as an extra or bonus on top of ones own preparations, skills and knowledge.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Okay I am walking down the rural lane and I see farmer John laying dead in his field, heart attack, stroke, who knows. His critters are in the barn. From your stand point the critters belong to the dead farmers and I should just leave them be. I don't see that happening. Yes I would not feed a starving child, not because I have not prepped enough but because it is a security risk I don't need to take. Feeding a stray child will tell the person who sent the child to your door, you have enough food to give some away. Big security risk.While helping out your old neighbor is a nice idea now, about the time you run out of TP during the SHTF. you may wish you had that roll back. The other question is what real benefit is one package of TP going to do for the old gentlemen? If you really want to help the old guy, move him into your home and share and share alike. Temp help is like giving somebody a band-aid that is hemorrhaging, it is not going to change the final out come.

lonewolf and poltiregist like this.
  45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    also if you intend to feed others outside your group or family you will need to set up a stockpile of food separate from your own family stockpile, if you feed others from your own food stores pretty soon you will be the ones out of food and starving.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Desert Girl

Desert Girl Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    It seems to me that building trust and bonding won't be possible under very stressful conditions. I recently read Selco's book The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival, his memoir of surviving a collapse and he talked about that as well. It really got me thinking about how important it is to create and/or strengthen those connections now before it's too late.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  47. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish to be friends with welders, mechanics of every ilk, green-thumb farmers, gunsmiths, masons, auto/truck mechanics, electricians, combat veterans, iron-smiths, carpenters, ... . I wish to be friends who have skill sets. Me, I'm way good with firearms; have been been certified as an instructor, rifle & handgun. I can train youth.

I've been a high-efficiency gardener. This year may be a bust in the latter -- ortho-surgery and more on the way; absolutely necessary "do this or become disabled" / cannot be postponed, BAD situation, surgeon read me the Riot Act. For all intents and purposes, I'd lost an arm & the surgeon rebuilt its shoulder / essentially he re-attached my arm to my body. Other severe situations in the remainder of my skeleton.

My hearing is just screwed / is what it is. X00,000 rnds of ammo going off next to your head = "Uh, what did you say?!"

Add to the list, I want to have highest quality medical contacts. The human body breaks. Trust me on this, the human body breaks and sometimes the damage is catastrophic in severity.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  48. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    We sit on a mountain cliff overlooking a small valley and stream . Across that stream is another survivalist minded family . I won't go into too much detail to keep the government from zeroing in on them but we do watch some amazing activeites . A few years ago about dawn they opened up with rifles and shot until dark . That went on for three days solid . That was a lot of money spent on amo . I used to target shoot a lot but these days I save my amo for the apocalyptic future .The younger members have a skeet thrower that they practice with . Anyway that group across the creek is who I want for friends .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nobody that I didn't already know. survival is about not taking risks and trusting strangers is a real risk in a survival situation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm in agreement with Olde Geezer here. I want to befriend people with good skills and knowledge...not high maintenance people.

I keep practicing /maintaining my Morse Code skills though I know it is not any longer required to become a Ham.

I have done this with SHTF or TEOTWAWKI in mind that it may become a useful skill set to know. And so too with certain machinist'/mechanic skills...including fabricating, if need be, my own antennas for both transmit and receive.

Lonewolf...

Don't sell everyone short here....

Life/Survival in life... is about taking risks....and often. True now......One tries to cope with the risks in reducing/managing them as best one can...but life itself is about certain risk taking.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.