You Can Only Bring 3 Things To Survive

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by MiFit, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. MiFit

MiFit New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    If you could only bring three things out into the wild to survive, what would you bring and why?

I'm thinking, a knife, matches, and water container. I was going to add "survival kit", but I thought that would be kind of cheating.

Morgan101 and The Innkeeper like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't see this situation ever arising, but if I had to choose, I guess it would be a tomahawk, flint, steel & tinderbox & a water flask. If you are including items that come as a package, then I would replace the flint & steel with a flintlock fusil, because I can also make fire with a flintlock.
    Keith.

The Innkeeper and WarHorse52 like this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would say a small knife-say maybe a lock knife- for stuff like skinning and small butchery, a sheath knife for larger jobs, and a flint and steel for fire lighting.
    water containers aren't really a problem in the UK, there is so much rubbish dumped these days that you cant go far without falling over a plastic bottle, or a can.

The Innkeeper and Keith H. like this.
  4. 111kg

111kg New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would rather go a bit different. I would get a really good knife, a water purifier and a book about how can you survive in the wilderness, what plants can you eat, how to build shelters and so on.

I don't see this situation happening too soon either, but it would be a hell of an exercise for most of the people. I don't think that even Marines could do it for a long period of time.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I m with keith not going to happen i carry more than 3 allways 3would be knife water filter and fire stick tho

The Innkeeper, sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  6. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'd go with a filtering water bottle, a multipurpose pocket-knife type tool, and a lightweight fire starting tool. I contemplated either a machete or lightweight axe of some sort, but my list is all about keeping things lightweight and mobile. I assume if I only have 3 things on me, I'm going to need to cover a lot of ground on foot to get the things I need!

The Innkeeper likes this.
  7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would take a pepper spray to protect myself from others who might want to harm me, a big box of matches so I can make a fire more easier and a filtering water bottle to be able to drink water from any source. I would like to add a sleeping bag if I could.

8. Vladimir Logos

Vladimir Logos New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Swiss army knife (not cheating :D), really good boots and Centrum tablets. First two are self-explanatory, but here's why I would take vitamins and minerals with me: the food you can gather and hunt in the wild is never going to be like your fridge; you are always going to lack some essential nutrients as the wilds are a local environment where only certain types of plants can grow. You get your vitamin B from bananas, vitamin C from citrus fruits and peppers...what if you find yourself in a place where there aren't any plants which have vitamin C in them? Live long periods with little or no vitamin C and your immune system will become weaker, you will be more prone to getting sick and your body will become weaker. Taking 50-100 tablets with you would help keep you in optimal shape for 2 or 3 months (assuming you are a competent hunger-gatherer who can secure some pray from time to time). You can get your carbs from many edible plants, proteins and fat from any animal you catch and eat, but all the necessary vitamins and minerals aren't found in large enough doses everywhere. Sure, you get some iron and vitamin C from venison for example, but you would need to eat a ridiculous amount of it to get enough and then you would be just wasting valuable protein and fat (assuming prey is scarce).

I realize that a good botanist would know how to get by without requiring vitamin supplements. I lack some knowledge about plants, which is why, at this point of my life at least, I would need something else to rely on instead. You have to be aware of your own ignorance in this respect, otherwise the wilds will teach you some humility in no time.

coffee, The Innkeeper and PCH like this.
  9. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Since I have a thing for knives it would be my first choice. It would depend where would I be but water would be second and I am not so sure about the third one. I was thinking some crops if I would be on a remote island or something like that. If I was in a forest where I could encounter some wolves or other animals that could harm me I would like to have a gun, although I hate guns. A nice satellite phone would be okay of course.

10. GrecianShamrock

GrecianShamrock New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think the three things I would bring is a hunting knife, a filtering bottle of water and I was going to say a fire proof blanket but liked the sleeping bag idea. (Even though I like the vitamin idea too)

coffee and The Innkeeper like this.
  11. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that knowing how to start a fire with sticks is more useful, so you don't have to bring a fire starter. I'm sure that other methods are more consistent though. I would choose a water bottle, a weapon/all purpose knife, and a backpack. A backpack would be useful to carry anything I find or pick up. A water bottle is obvious, because if you don't have a way to carry clean water, you're doomed from the start. A knife is just a super useful tool for a lot of things. It can be used to skin animals, to kill animals, to cut wood, really a lot of things. I think with those 3 things I'm covered for the majority. I can try to fashion a home/suitable sleeping place out of things I find around.

12. Aloysus

Aloysus New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Fire, shelter, water and food are the pillars that keep us alive in the wilderness. Carrying food seems fairly counterproductive to me. Any amount you carry will attract animals, can become rancid and slow you down when prospecting for resources. Finding a reliable food and water source is sometimes difficult, so I think equipment in tat area is key. I would bring a carbon - steel hunting knife, a fire starting kit (flint, matches, lighter) and a fireproof water container (to boil water in). With those items and the right knowledge, survival should be made much easier.

13. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is a really good question, because if I could bring one (3) items to survive; I would bring some matches, because batteries from a flashlight will eventually die and the fluid from a lighter will eventually burn out! The second item I would bring is water, because without water you will become dehydrated and lastly I would bring a blanket to cover me up in the wilderness depending on weather conditions or ground conditions!

14. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    That is a really hard question. I can't think of only 3 things for an emergency. I guess I will choose a flashlight, water, and a blanket. My mind is a whirl with so many other things I would like to take.

15. Darlene

Darlene New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    It's a hard question, I might even forget these things on a real time emergency. I would bring flash light, water and knife.

16. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Like most people's choice, I'm going to bring a knife too, a filtering bottle of water and a really good boots. I think boots is a must-have since you're going to be wandering all over the place hunting for food and shelter, it also helps if you're running away from an attacker.

17. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Only three things? I think the list of indispensable items is at least 10+ items long! But I would take a knife, some water purifying pills and some good old rope.

18. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It depends on what kind of environment we are talking about here. Are you going into the desert, into a thick jungle, a savanna, or a wasteland of snow and ice. I've never been to a desert, a savanna, or a snow wasteland so I'm not quite sure what I would bring with me. However, I had experience going into thick jungle. And I would say that the three most important things I'll bring with me would be a knife, matches or flint, and a water container. You can pretty much survive with these essential tools.

19. Roxy Fermor

Roxy Fermor New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I feel this question is too general to be able to decide. It would depend on the climate, on where you are located, because what you bring really has to depend on what you already have at your disposal doesn't it? And am I moving or am I staying put in the same place? I like this game but I wish we could decide based on real life situation with all factors included.

20. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hmm. I'd go with a water filtration tumbler, a decent knife, and band-aids. The water tumbler is obvious. You don't know if the water you come across is going to be safe to drink, and poisoning is one unfortunate way to day, so better be safe than sorry. As for the knife, it's a multipurpose tool. You can use it to defend yourself, in supply gathering, and building a shelter. Lastly, the band-aids are because I'm so darned clumsy lol.

21. Vatheri

Vatheri New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to abuse the fact that there wasn't really specified lack of prep time and make the assumption that civilization still exists at least a few hours before I am running off into the world with my three items.

- A high quality, multi-purpose knife
    - A portable solar panel charging kit
    - A Kindle Paperwhite loaded with every survival book and guide I could ever need. [Which I already have and keep close.]

As long as I have a guide that teaches me how to obtain food, water, shelter, etc.. Then I don't really need too much else. Knowledge is power. ^^

The Innkeeper and Firefigjter like this.
  22. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been in any survival situation, since Im rather new to this. But how about bringing a knife, a water filter, and something for sleeping like a sleeping bag or a tarp.

23. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I would most definitely go with a knife, a lighter and an extra thick blanket for cold nights.

24. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Uhh, that's such an interesting situation, I've been thinking about this:
    1. A quality knife should be prioritary for everyone in this situation, you can use it for a lot of stuff especially hunting.
    2. A fire kit that can resist for a few days until you get settled in, fires are crucial especially at night when it can get really cold in the forests.
    3. Last but not least, a tent. It's pretty tough to find/create shelther on your first day out, it's better to bring something that you can sleep in that can somewhat protect you as well.

25. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Well-Known Member
      68/99

Blog Posts:
    My first choice item would be a knife because you can cut wood any anything else you need to with a good knife...I have watched enough Naked and Afraid to know that everyone chooses a knife of some sort. The next thing I would choose is a firestarter of some sort, probably one of the magnesium block ones that you just have to scrape with your knife. The third item I would choose to have with me is a metal container I could use to collect water in and cook in. These are the 3 most important things. The rest I could pretty much build and construct on my own.

26. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    For me it Depends on the Location/Environment

Forests: Knife, Water Purifying System (Sawyer Water Filter System), Flint.

Snowy Tundra: Knife, Blanket Or Sleeping Bag, Matches

Desert: Knife, Water Bottle or Canteen, Some sort of Blanket, or Tarp that I can use to cover my body from the sun during the day as I travel, and keep me warm at night.

Anything else I might need, i can find within the land.

27. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can construct a shelter Justin, & you can make a knife & tools to hunt with. You can find water. The useful item here is what you carry the water in. Why don't you rethink your choices. Just a suggestion. I am sure you can think of more important items to carry with you.
    Keith.

28. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Three things I would bring to survive in the wild would have to be a hunter's knife, a lighter, and a water jug. A hunters knife can be useful for various things such as cutting wood, killing some animals, and other activities that may require cutting. Also, another reason I would bring a hunter's knife is, because a knife is a common tool used by various survivalists. Now for the lighter, I would use it for fire mostly so that I can create smoke to draw away the bugs or to cook meat and boil water. A lighter would truly save me from a bacteria infection or another disease that may try to attack me in the form of food or water. My last item for survival would have to be a water jug because I can use it to collect water especially since most human beings can only survive so little without water. In addition, the jug could also serve as a pot for my food or herbs that may contain protein for a longer survival rate. Hopefully, if everything goes as I say and the landscape isn't as hard when it comes to the climate then I will eventually be able to survive.

29. BRC814

BRC814 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    It’s the law of three’s. You will die if, 3 minutes without air(Gods gift - not polluted yet to make separate arrangement for this), three hours without shelter(Camping kit or Sleeping bag), three days without water(Portable water purifier) and three weeks without food(Hunter's knife).

30. Composureone2

Composureone2 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I would have to agree with a lot of people, I would have to say a very sharp knife, matches, and water.

31. awc90

awc90 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Blankets for warmth depending on the climate, empty glass containers can serve multiple purposes, and a knife. If blankets are not necessary such as a warmer climate, then add flint/steel combo. I chose glass containers so I have a way to store food/water and glass and water can also be used to concentrate sunlight to start a fire.

32. mwah

mwah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Three items that I would take with me into the wild to survive would be a survival knife, water container, and some sort of bag or sack. The knife would help in various things such as cutting stuff when necessary, cleaning fish or any source of food, and when in danger. As for the water container, I think it is very important to have since sometimes you won't be able to stay next to a water source forever and so you have to have something to keep water for later use. Lastly, the sack or bag would be very important to keep leftover food or carry wood for a fire, but also a place where you can keep all of your stuff.

33. sanny99

sanny99 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Three thinkgs that I would bring to survive is first choice item would be a knife because the knife it would help in various things such as cutting stuff when necessary, cleaning fish or any source of food, and when in danger. As for the water container, I think it is very important to have since sometimes you won't be able to stay next to a water source forever and so you have to have something to keep water for later use. Lastly, the sack or bag would be very important to keep leftover food or carry wood for a fire, but also a place where you can keep all of your stuff.
    The next thing I would choose is a firestarter of some sort, probably one of the magnesium block ones that you just have to scrape with your knife. The third item I would choose to have with me is a metal container I could use to collect water in and cook in. These are the 3 most important things. The rest I could pretty much build and construct on my own.

34. kingrichez

kingrichez New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Machete, Water filter, Lighter

35. AntwanCeja

AntwanCeja New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely take a knife... This is the only item i could never miss out. I can live without matches, lantern or even a rope, but a knife is always necesary. So knife is my first item to bring. The other two items i would bring are a water container and a bag.

36. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    First of all, a swiss army knife. It's one thing technically, and it can have lots of uses and help in most situations.
    Then, a water filter: water is one of the most important resources and if you are nearby a dirty pond with no other sources nearby, it can save your life.
    And I would say a survival book, which might help, or a first-aid kit but it's more situational...

37. Eva.Ling

Eva.Ling New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Swiss army knife... preferably one with more than enough gadgets.
    Water filter... extremely important for survival because, water! :D
    Lighter... probably best to have fire ready when necessary.

I think I am very used to urbanised living and convenience in every way. Really wonder what will happen if I just take 3 items into the wild and try to make it. :S

38. Luke Vukovic

Luke Vukovic New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    It really depends on the setting though. You wouldn't need water in a rain forest and you wouldn't need a knife in a desert. Lets say the setting was a basic deciduous forest with fairly hot days and pretty cold nights. I'd say a sleeping bag, water, and a gun would be a good fit.

39. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I would bring a water filtration kit, a multi purpose knife, and something to make fire with. I have never tried making a fire with flint and steel and not sure how easy it would be. I would bring matches if I couldn't figure it out. Hopefully I would get a chance to experiment first to see if it was something I could really do. It's too bad you couldn't bring more things, I would try to bring a survival book or the bible as well.

40. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about this before and I've always come back to the same three items:
    1. a good, big, sharp knife,
    2. a water filter,
    3. a fire starting kit.

We all know that water is number one and above food. That's why I'd bring a water filter over some small amount of food (3 days versus 3 weeks). The knife is self-explanatory. It can be used for countless things and in countless situations. Fire can turn a bad situation into a good one. Can be used to warm yourself up and not freeze to death, cook various food, and so on.

41. Eva.Ling

Eva.Ling New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I thought that a water bottle or some sort of filter is a must, no matter what type of survival conditions you were in?

42. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I would bring a blanket, a knife and a lighter. A blanket for comfort because I need my blanket. I cant sleep without it. I hate being cold. It would be the worst thing ever. A knife for obvious reasons and a lighter to cook and eat stuff (also to start a fire). My lighter would be one of those super huge novelty lighters with a lot of juice in it and not one of those little puny cheap ones from the liquor store.

43. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Were the situation an all-out nuclear war, I'd bring whiskey, sunglasses, and a lounge chair.

Preppergal, Morgan101, coffee and 2 others like this.
  44. missionreport

missionreport New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I was going to say : knife, lighter, compass. But someone said he would bring a book. I said to myself, "genius!"

45. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    It ain't easy to start a fire with sticks.
    If you think you want to do that I'd be practicing a whole lot now.
    Being prepared is what this is all about.
    Just a suggestion, not criticizing.
    I've done the fire bow and rubbing sticks and concluded to never be without an easier means
    of making fire.

46. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    It wouldn't. It would be proper thinking. I myself would replace the knife with Swiss-multitool as it has both knife and bunch of other great tools that might help you out. Matches might be good, but why not butane lighter instead. If you don't handle matches properly, if there are strong winds and you really need to start fire, you will have lots of problems without proper shelter. Even with shelter you could end up breaking the match in half if you apply too much pressure. I would go with butane lighter on this one.

47. ryanhamlet

ryanhamlet New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    A knife, the Boy Scout handbook, and a map of the area I was in

48. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Well, a map is not a bad idea, but if you are in dense forest and you do not know how to find where is North by looking at tree stumps or such, map won't really be of much use :)

49. megaman93

megaman93 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I would say some kind of multipurpose tool/knife, water filter, and a good pair of boots. Gotta have water, can use my tool/knife for other things, and those boots to be able to walk around everywhere. I would've said compass but there are other ways to tell direction.

50. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think my choices would be: a water purifier, a hunting knife, and a good book. For a start, I think it would be a great way to try to survive... However, it's obvious that the situations would have to count in my favor, but I think my items were well chosen. :D