Your dehydrator can be used to make all kinds of emergencey food.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by tb65, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You can preserve fruits vegetables and even meats with a dehydrator. I would make as many different kinds of dehydrated fruits and vegetables as I could in the case of an emergency. Still I don't know how long beef jerky from a dehydrator would last. Has any body made beef jerky in there dehydrator and stored it for over a year? I'm pretty sure the fruits and vegetables would last pretty long.

danil54grl likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We use our wood stove to dry foods, & our wood burning heater in winter. Make sure the dehydrator you get is NOT electric powered! Yes my dried meat & vegies have lasted for over a year.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    We have a cavity type dehydrator. It looks like a microwave kind of, with lots of removable shelves. We have dried tomatoes, which are delicious! We've dried peaches. One thing I like to do with it is make yogurt. I can take out all the shelves and fit a 3 quart pot inside. It has a setting for making yogurt which is far superior than using the oven. Set it and forget it. When the yogurt is ready, I strain it and turn it into Greek yogurt, it is soooo delicious!!

danil54grl likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Can it still be used if the power goes out?
    Keith.

5. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I just finished drying a variety of fruits from the farmers market in my dehydrator. They make for a healthy snack with low weight and they last a long time if stored properly. My favorites are strawberries but I also dried some cherries, apricots, blackberries, and pears. With so much fruit available at farmers markets or from friends who have fruit trees or gardens, this time of year my dehydrator is almost always on. I've dried tons of veggies too, but I'm all about the fruit right now. Later this summer I'll shift my focus to more veggies but the dried fruit is so good and so easy to take as a snack on various summer outings.

danil54grl likes this.
  6. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Dehydration is a great idea. I dehydrate all kinds of fruit and vegetables. I also dehydrate herbs and seasonings to use later. My favorite kind of storage for dried foods is vacuum seal packages. That way there is no worry about glass jars that break in an earthquake. I usually either grow the things I dehydrate or sometimes a friend or neighbor has fruit that is dropping and they will let people come pick the tree for free.

danil54grl likes this.
  7. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am so jealous of your wood stove Keith! I want one just like that. We have a dehydrator and we use it quite a lot although I have never tried to do meat in it. I have also just used the lowest setting on the oven to dehydrate veggies...didn't work so well on fruit though.

8. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I've never kept dehydrated fruits or meat for longer than a month or so, mostly because they always seem to get ate fast around here. I've never tried dehydrating vegetables before but I'll definitely give it a shot! What kind of vegetables do you dehydrate?

9. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Your wood stove is amazing! I've never seen anything like that before. Our dehydrator is electric and we haven't had any issue with it but I've never been able to try anything dehydrated in a wood stove so I wouldn't know the difference. The only bad thing about our dehydrator is that it can't hold that much so it would take a long time to dehydrate any big quantity of anything.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    yes a dehydrator can be used to make lots of food, you just have to be patient, it can take up to 24hrs to dehydrate food, I seen a solar powered dehydrator that looked cool, and would be ideal for emergencies when the power goes out.

11. Kevin Jansen

Kevin Jansen New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    There are a few important aspects to storing beef jerky in the long term. Namely. moisture, oxygen, temperature and fat content.

Meat jerky that you intend to last for more than a few months should be as dry as possible. There are many ways to tenderize the meat, so this isn't much of an issue.

We use vacuum-sealed bags for storage. They prevent the oxygen-chemical breakdown.

It's best to freeze beef jerky that you want to store for more than a few months. Keep in mind that this may damage the quality of the meat.

Finally, fat content spoils much faster than meat. Cut out as much as possible, and your jerky will last much longer in the fridge or freezer.

DirtDiva likes this.
  12. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    You can make meals and dehydrate them too. I have done both child and chicken noodle soup this way. Your meat will not come back to life as before it was dehydrated but it is still very edible. Makes for a great backpacking meal.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone here have a freeze dryer that they dehydrate food with? I like the freeze dried meals but the price of a freeze dryer....OUCH! Is it worth it?

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    It's worth it in my opinion. I've only had mine about a year now, Got it second-hand she a buddy of mine upgraded to a bigger model. Grandkids love freeze dried fruits to eat as snacks. The only thing negative is the pump besides the price. You have to throw an old sock on it or you will have a mess on your hands and it's load so keep it in a basement, garage or another room you can shut the door.

DirtDiva, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
    1. Dalewick
      Thank you.

Dalewick, Jun 30, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Browsing on google , it appears stored vitamins start losing their vitamin potency in around a couple of years and gradually deteriorate from there . A never ending source of vitamins when a preppers food supply becomes less diverse such as the winter months , is dried fruit and vegetables . Tomatoes for me are a productive garden plant that can provide a substantial amount of dried tomatoes for the months that I expect to rely heavily on meat . According to my research , dried tomatoes provide Niacin , vitamins , k , c , a , b5 , and b9 . As Old Geezer pointed out recently , you definitely don't want a problem with scurvy .

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  16. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If you want a plant you can depend on after SHTF for vitamins, plant Dog Rose (Rosa canina) it's rose hips are like a multiday vitamin. 100 grams of rose hips from this flower provides 1252 mg. of Vitamin C. Just don't let them become invasive.

Dale

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.