yoyo fishing reel's

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by James98, Oct 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
  2. HappyJackSlade

HappyJackSlade Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    I have 6 dozen yoyo reels.
    I've used them on quite a few occasions and they truly are a force multiplier. Anything that makes gathering food easier and allows you to focus on other tasks is of great bennifit. They are not only good for fishing but make great snares for small game. Stock up whilst you can

3. Scott Chaffin

Scott Chaffin New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I also have used yo-yos.. and yes they do work.. just note that the string is a heavy test, and they do set the fish. But it won't pop them out the water as it shows in pics. They will if the fish is light in weight, and not a fighter. But if they are heavy and fighters, you'll be able to still keep the fish. Acts like a bank line at that point.
    If I need to multi task then I use them. If I need to sleep then I will use them, as it will keep my fish in water til I get there. Just know the longer you keep it on there, something can grab it.
    What I do with mine, is I put my name and license number on them, as to show that they are being used as poles and not traps.. that might help in that department..
    Hope this helps and answered.. good luck

4. James L Bryant

James L Bryant New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I use bank lines set a dozen or so and go do your other chores, but would like to get some of these reels

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yoyos are not legal where I live either but they used to be legal and work real well so I have a half dozen or so for emergencies. Even if you don't have them you can make fish snare traps that work basically the same way. Along the bank you bend limbs down and attach the line to a trigger so that when a fish takes it the trigger allows the limb or pole to spring up and catch the fish.

6. NKAWTG

NKAWTG Well-Known Member
      85/115

Blog Posts:
    For those areas where they are illegal, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a couple for emergency use.
    In a SHTF scenario, I doubt fish and game are going to be bugging you about yoyo's

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    At least in Texas possession is totally legal. It is the USE of them that is prohibited. It was explained to me that they were being used to catch scaled game fish and that was the problem with them. You very seldom catch bass or crappie on trotlines or limb lines but yoyos will indeed hook and hold crappie especially.

8. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    There are only a couple State lakes where bank lines, long lines, jug lines, are legal in
    Ohio.
    Tappan Lake in south central is one.
    Our largest was a 50 pound shovel head.
    Usually we catch channel catfish from around 2 pounds to 10 pounds.
    Catfish from clean water are very good eating.
    Not the common bullhead, sometimes called yellow catfish due to the yellowish under body.
    Tappan is a clean body of water, 7 miles long, with zero industry in the area and few large farms
    due to the hills.
    Bank, jug, yo yo, lines work while you do something else.