Antibiotics without a prescription

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by ally79, Jun 5, 2016.

Antibiotics without a prescription 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Did you know that you can get antibiotics online or from your local Tractor Supply store that are for "pets". but perfectly safe for human consumption? These antibiotics are made in the exact same factories as "human" ones they just get sent down a different line. One line goes to the pharmacy where they charge you an arm and a leg, and the other goes to the pet/animal feed store.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Antibiotics are hugely over used and very often not used properly which has led to the rise of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. It is not wise to self medicated with antibiotics unless you have very good medical knowledge. There are ridiculous amounts of people that try to get doctors to prescribe antibiotics for common colds and flu which are completely unaffected by antibiotics. I would suggest anyone stocking up on antibiotics get a good education about them before they self medicate.

Correy and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have often wondered about animal medical products, & have heard mention of them before, but have never delved into their use for humans to date.
    Thank you Ally, good post.
    Keith.

ally79 likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree & would not take antibiotics if there was no need or another option, but in a wilderness survival situation, antibiotics could save your life.
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people stock up on fish antibiotics, i do not.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Read the label and you will find the same active ingredients!

There are three main types! I stock the proper ones in all three!
    I also have a basic understanding of there uses! they are life savers! but useless on virus's like colds and flu!

7. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I never knew that about pet antibiotics either. I'm sure that information could be useful for someone. I don't know about me personally though - I think I agree with Lisa that you shouldn't administer them without good knowledge. However, in an end of the world situation, I think I would feel very differently if I was suffering symptoms of an infection.

8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes, sorry. I was talking more about long term use than using them in a life or death situation, of course having antibiotics available is invaluable.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the UK it is virtually impossible to get (human) antibiotics without a prescription, and even then its a "course" of antibiotics and you should finish the treatment so you shouldn't have any left over at the end. so this is an impossible thing to do in the UK, unless you work for a drugs company that is:D

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Just get a prescription!

11. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's why you order the one for your "pets" online. I of course, was not advocating having them around and taking them for no good reason, but in a collapse situation they are good to have on hand in case someone does fall ill with some sort of infection.

12. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    I bet that if modern civilization would collapse, people who have the know-how of manufacturing drugs and other kinds of antibiotics would make a new fortune in their new lives. But making these things from scratch takes some pretty hardcore chemistry knowledge. The easiest thing you could make from scratch is penicillin from the Penicillum fungus that is in moldy bread, but sadly too many bacteria have grown resistant to penicillin.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no thanks, i'll stick with natural remedies thank you very much, I don't like pharmaceutical medicine at the best of times, too many side effects.

14. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I tend to keep antibiotics on hand at all times, and working at a doctor's office previously, I can tell you that just because they "expire" doesn't mean that they aren't any good. It basically means that some of the ingredients may lose it's potency. People often take antibiotics for the wrong reasons, causing other issues. I myself have never taken pet medication for anything, but I have seen that the ingredients are the same, the dosage is what is smaller for obvious reasons. My neighbor took her dogs antibiotics before for a tooth abscess until she could get into the doctors. Her infection was gone by time her appointment came around. Not sure if it healed on it's own or it was her dogs meds, but hey, whatever works I guess.

15. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Sure, in emergency situations maybe. But if you are ill, you really need to go see a doctor before munching on pet medicine. It would do more harm than good, and you will soon realize that being cheap especially on medicine would do more harm than good, as it would be a terrible way to get even more sick when you try to intervene with self prescribed medications. Let's just say the bacteria have a sort of tolerance, and yearly it increases, and if you don't treat a disease seriously, you may end up being bit in the backside and having to use second or even third generation of antibacterials because you skimmed out on the initial part of the infection.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the over use of antibiotics is one of the reasons we have superbugs now, I've only ever taken them twice in my life, one for a minor infection and the other for a tooth abcess.

17. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    also not a fan of antibiotics. I think natural healing and remedies is the answer. Only when absolutely necessary will I recommend taking antibiotics. The thing is the bugs grow immune and then what do you do when you fall sick again?

18. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Antibiotics are over-used and over prescribed in this country. That being said, in an emergency situation antibiotics can be a life saver. literally. I have friends that get them from the local feed store to have a stock at home and even though it's not ideal, I'm not sure what the alternative is. Keep in mind that most antibiotics are perishable. They don't keep for long periods.

19. Amhart6970

Amhart6970 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    The z-pack is ideal. Will take care of just about everything one can contract. It's been a stable of mine and friends when we trek in Africa. Knowing that we are usually 2-3 days away from quality med care. Warning, it really cleans you out. For lesser issues, Flagyl does the trick ( remember not to drink alcohol with this one).

20. Amhart6970

Amhart6970 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    W
    What are your most common natural remedies? How do you keep them preserved?

21. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Indeed. Stockpiling "fish" antibiotics has been a staple in the preparedness community for a very long time. It is just a matter of doing one's homework and investing judiciously.

22. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid my doctor stuffed me with antibiotics for every little cold I caught. I was sick all the time because my body didn't have time to fight by itself and it got almost addicted to antibiotics so when I grew up a bit a decided not to accept the treatment and I bought some vitamins, minerals and everything that goes with it, I drank tea, I ate ginger and all naturally I managed to get well and I continued to boost my immune system with zinc and vitamin c along with all the other vitamin and minerals. I was not sick since 2009. My point is that antibiotics should be considered when nothing else helps and surely not without prescription.