Are You Prepping For Doomsday?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Destiny, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My family is prepped for a short-term disaster, but we are certainly not equipped for something like the apocalypse. I'd say our biggest problems are skills, space, resources, and money. It feels like you'd have to be rich to have everything needed to survive.

It makes me wonder, is there anyone on these forums who is actually preparing for the end of life as we know it? I don't mean people like me who have a basement full of survival supplies... but, people who have are actually ready for the end of the world. If so, I'd really like to know what all you're doing and around how much money it costs to actually be a doomsday prepper... realistically.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes I guess you could say that we are prepared for TEOTWAWKI. We are not rich as in have a lot of money, but we (my wife & I plus 3 sons with own families) do own our own land & two houses on that land. I can't say how much it would cost to do what we are doing, because land prices vary from place to place. Our land is a forest, not farm land, though the local council taxes us based on our forest being prime farm land (wishing for TEOTWAWKI!!!).
    We have purchased what we need over a long period of time, I am now an old man & on a pension. One starts off accumulating the priorities first, & then work your way up. A larger piece of land is better than a smaller piece of land, BUT, in present times a very large piece of land is going to cost you more in council Rates/Taxes. Generally speaking a piece of land that is considered unproductive, such as say land with rocks & trees rather than cleared land, will cost you less to purchase, UNLESS it is being sold as ALTERNATE LIFESTYLE land in which case they put the price up!!! We did not purchase through an estate agent, we searched private adds & in the end found what we wanted by simply looking at farm land & asking if they were prepared to sell us a part of their land.

To sum up I would say no you do not have to be rich to do what we have done, even in today's market. BUT you do need to have a reasonably well payed job/income. We got where we are by living frugally, by working hard & saving. We payed off our first piece of land, then sold it & purchased this land we have now. I purchased second hand tools whenever I could find what I wanted. I did a lot of research & experimentation before deciding on what I needed.
    IF we did not have land, we could still be prepared for TEOTWAWKI, not quite as well as we are with the land, but we could manage comfortably just the same. I dislike living in town or city, that is my main reason for living where I do. So if you can not afford to purchase land, then don't give the whole idea away, you can still manage. You just have to be wise in your choices of hardware, provisions & skills. You need to have some idea of where you will go if it all hits the fan, & you need to know how you are going to get there.
    I do NOT recommend purchasing ALL modern gear, or put another way, don't have all modern gear. IF it all hits the fan, & you are not able to safely live in town/city, then life as you know it now is going to have to change. Many modern items will not last long term, they will either run out, or they will cease to function. If all your gear is modern, then you will be thrown back into the stone age. This is survivable, but not comfortable or desirable. If you start off with pre 19th century technology, then I believe you will never drop below that comfort level. We lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years & raised three sons. It was not that difficult.

One of my videos, Part One of A Woodsrunner's Day. There are five videos in this particular series if you are interested, & many more videos on my channel.
    Regards, Keith.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Prepping for doomsday is not that expensive!
    Most of what you need and should have is between your ears!
    A very good overall general knowledge is what you need!
    Supplies and skills are secondary! they can be accumulated now but can be acquired after by various means!
    Not so all that accumulated knowledge!
    You can use other peoples skills, supplies and sweat but you need that knowledge to do it!

The only substitute for knowledge and thinking is ignorance and stupid and we all know how that turns out!

4. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I definitely haven't taken this seriously before but this forum makes me want to reconsider some things especially when it comes to doomsday matters. I'd say my family is not really prepared if ever apocalypse where to happen, i hope not. One thing is for sure, this forum does help me be more mindful and not take for granted whatever little things i have at home that might be beneficial during the apocalypse. It made me open my eyes that anything is possible and it's important to be prepared at all times.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This thread reminds me of what I had read in one article about the cold war in the 1960s. The so called bomb shelter was in fashion for the rich that they spent money to have one. A bomb shelter is built underground and comes complete with a small generator and other facilities like cookery and water system. The cupboard is packed with preserved foods in can and packets that included powdered milk.

Our emergency supplies at home is also for short-term only, maybe it will last for a week to feed us and our 3 dogs. And if the dreaded apocalypse happens then we would be surviving on luck.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am prepping for ALL eventualities, apart from an all out nuclear war, alien invasion or zombies.
    prepping is not an expensive hobby if we go about it the right way, SHTF isn't going to happen tomorrow or next week, but given what is happening in the world today it IS coming.
    civilisations have collapsed before, so will this one, we are not immune.

Edprof and Keith H. like this.
  7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    SHTF could happen right now!
    Nope still here!

Anytime! Anytime at all!
    But most will not be the instantanoius type!
    I can be rocking in 30min if I am home!
    Ten if I push it!

Edprof likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it could, but it probably wont.
    it'll be so insipid, so slow, most people wont even realise it is happening until too late.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is how we are losing our human rights & freedoms here in Australia, bit by bit. All semi-auto guns were confiscated after the Port Arthur massacre. Many believe, myself among them, that the government was behind this massacre. Certainly there is evidence that they new about it before it happened! This was used as an excuse for the gun confiscation.
    The government is now using terror tactics for more violations of our rights & privacy, it is turning into a police state. Personally I don't believe the Australian people will do anything about this, the majority would watch the minority being walked into gas chambers & still do nothing. "She'll Be Right Mate" is the Australian motto, but she won't be right mate. The best any of us can do now is dig in & look after number one.
    Keith.

10. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    You don't have to be rich to have everything you need to survive. No matter how long it takes the supplies you'd hoarded will be exhausted. How long you'll survive after that depends entirely on the survival skills you possess. That's why I believe the most valuable thing you'll ever have is knowledge on how to survive when you have absolutely nothing. Arm yourself with knowledge and you'll be fine [after a while].

Keith H. likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, skills and knowledge will be required long after all our food stashes are exhausted.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I've actually got some land coming my way in the near future and I have already surveyed the area and it's possibilities. That seems to be the major hurdle in my future plans, location. Being in a 3rd world country, building material is cheap, and if I did my math correctly, the labor is the most expensive aspect of the construction process because of pace that they move. Here they work on a daily salary and they prolong the build for as long as possible. So you can imagine, they want the project to last til the end of the decade if I let them.

That's the major hurdle for me, as I have all these ideas and no where to store them in a permanent location.

13. Puglover148

Puglover148 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes I am prepping for a disaster. I plan on getting medical books easy enough for me to understand and books on herbs that help prevent illness or possible injuries. Also, how to make my own food for when the environment is not suitable for growing. Plus, some weapons on hand, lightweight though, so when I have to run or travel somewhere else it won`t weigh me down. My weapons also need to be reachable but at the same time, not too reachable for others to steal it or use it against me. If I cant, then I`m going to have to learn how to defend myself and my properties against others fast, and be able to comprehend the situation quickly to find a solution.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the only way we can prepare for doomsday is mentally. Having survival skills and supplies will help a lot , but being ready to deal with the reality of this happening is what's important. Having the will to survive and a optimistic attitude will make all the difference. I think I'm learning to prepare this way.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Edprof

Edprof Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Have been doing prepping/survivalism stuff for a number of years. The nice thing is that about 97% of those activities and expenditures are normal and natural to me. I don't have to go out of my way to prep. Second nature.

16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Does this mean that you are almost fully equipped to survive a major shtf situation & that you have most of the needed skills? Just trying to understand your post.
    Keith.