Atlas Survival Shelter (Doomsday Bunkers)

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by joshposh, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    These shelters were featured on the TV show "Doomsday Preppers". I thought it was extreme at first, but if you look at what's going on around us, with the violence and war in the middle east, I'm sure a lot of people there wouldn't mind having these to fall back on.

Anything can happen. If I had the money, I would get one too or at least make one of my own based on their designs. But I don't know how to construct a air purifier that can purify radioactive air.

http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    IF I were going to purchase an underground shelter, I would purchase a cement water tank. Strong, roomy, inexpensive compared to special design shelters, & they come in all sizes.
    Keith.

Easyrider likes this.
  3. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    The reason for a circular bunker is that when compacted with dirt, the weight is equally distributed along the walls and less likely to collapse like a traditional box. Now if a concrete circular bunker was available, that would be a better choice. Atlas doesn't make these things on site. They are also equipped to purifier radioactive air if there is a nuclear catastrophe.

So If I could build my shelter out of concrete, circular of course, with all the bells and whistles, I would do it.

Wildviking1018 likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    But cement water tanks are circular, that is why I suggested it!!!
    Keith.

5. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    The metal one are built to order. There is no way atlas is going to build a cement one off site and move it there for the same shipping cost. That is the point I was trying to get at. Most people don't know what cement water tanks are. So a picture or verbal description would help.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  6. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    I just found this picture online. Water tanks are square shaped as well.

4Ph9SebHCqKwJ2OF2V9lqS2-47Rhwwc7.jpeg

7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is an image of our two 5,000 gallon cement water tanks. Made off site & delivered to our property. They are round & have a hatch in the top for access.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Easyrider likes this.
  8. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    Because of its flat tops the earth would eventually crush you and cave in. It has to be laid down horizontally, so that the weight of the earths weight is distributed equally from all sides. You lay that design underground, it is more likely to collapse. The ceiling cannot be flat.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like bunkers-unless its a nuclear scenario- I don't like being underground and unable to see what going on above ground, I prefer an above ground hidden location which gives the opportunity to scan the horizon.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Look at the image joshposh, they have conical tops, NOT flat!!!!!! Even if they WERE flat, just how far beneath the earth would you intent burying them? Also note that the square tank you show does have a flat top!!! What is the purpose of your reply joshposh? Can we assume that you think using a cement tank for a shelter is NOT a good idea?
    Keith.

11. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    My point of posting an image is to show you that you are wrong on it being shaped like that of a atlas bunker. You didn't supply a picture of a concrete water tank, so I did it for you. The picture I posted is also known as a concrete water tank, which has a higher likely hood of collapsing when earth is compacted onto it. So by you saying that water tanks are circular is wrong as my picture clearly shows that.

Your, picture that you finally posted, is still not an ideal bunker to survive underground. Why do you think all pipes are shaped the way they are? Under heavy loads they are evenly compacted and the piped is less likely to collapse on itself. Your preferred design will fail miserably as compared to one that is shaped like the Atlas bunkers. It is scientifically proven that your design will collapse before mine.

The whole point is to show off a site where they do make bunkers on demand. Do you know of a company that will build a concrete bunker off site and deliver it? NO YOU DO NOT.

1. Your design is inferior to mine and scientifically proven.
    2. You failed to post a picture of a concrete water tank, which I did for you.
    3. The point of the thread is to show that there is a company out there that make bunker style homes on order. I highly doubt any company will make a full size concrete bunker where your family can reside in for months if not years because of the storage capacity mine has. You will run out of supplies in a week with your holding capacity.
    All water tanks aren't circular. So I have proven you wrong, because you didn't supply an image. Only after my second or third reply that you were kind enough to actually post a picture.

IRJ8TzxOgQocbpPngImq4lhimMVScMkR.jpeg

I would think maybe 10 feet below ground. Atlas bunker was designed to withstand a nuclear fall out and has a air purifier that can purify radioactive air. Why do you think people retreat to storm cellars when there is high winds like a tornado? It's underground.

Somebody hasn't looked at the website. The bunker is designed with a nuclear fallout in mind. It has a radioactive air purifier and it has 2 hatches to enter and exit. One being the main entrance which is sealed shut and the other is a hidden one that is designed for escape or ambush those that are trying to break in hatch number one. Also they can customize it the way you want. You want 5 hatches, they can do it. Blast doors, air tight hatches, running water, batteries.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    joshposh! At no time did I rubbish your suggestion, in fact I think the Atlas shelter looks great, but I can't afford an Atlas shelter, & in fact I don't even know if they are available in Australia! I was merely commenting on my own choice & here you are rubbishing MY choice!!! What is your problem?
    Keith.

13. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    I too clearly said I can't afford it as well. Same boat as you. I don't sh*t on anyone's idea, but I will back up my ideas with well written facts. You said that cement water tanks are circular, they are not. Only after I posted a water tank did you post your circular water tank.

Everything I have written I backed it up with some thought in mind and I in no way am not trolling and posting one or two liner that question other peoples ideas. I also don't use exclamation points to show that I am yelling or raising my voice.

My post and replies are thought out and I try to cross examine others ideas. If I don't like your idea, or think that mine is better, then I will explain why that is. I'm not a one liner individual trying to get his post numbers up. This is something I believe in "survival". I too can be like most and just add a line or two of, "I'd rather live in something else", and not leave a reason as to why or a picture to support my claims or train of thought.

14. Easyrider

Easyrider New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Too big.way too big.for 2 person onsider a 10 maximum 15 sqm bunker.but if you have the cash..

15. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Concrete drain sections, shipping containers, tunnel supports and water tanks (even septic tanks) can all be buried and used as makeshift bunkers. The prefab steel barrel vault design of the bunker that is pictured is obviously based on an Anderson shelter from the early 1940s. The more modern higher end hardened bunkers tend to have a double thickness flat concrete roof with a sand filled gap at least 4 feet thick between them so that any direct blast is expended on the outer layer and dissipated through the sand. The thickness of the sand also acts as shielding from radiation if needed. The inner space within the modern bunker is sub divided to provide zones for privacy as well as structural strength and rigidity.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Unless I lived near a military base, big city or big industrial area I don't think I would need to be very far underground. If I did live near ground zero I'm not sure what I would come out to even if I survived. Wouldn't everything around there be radioactive for a long time? Where I live I would probably go more to a fallout and storm shelter than a bomb shelter.

The one in the video was very cool and posh but I would worry about the air supply and about being either trapped in there or someone that knew about it gassing me in there via my air intake for the supplies. It would be awful hard to keep installing something like that a secret.

That said, I've sat in those holes often when I was a kid and never liked it very much but in my old age I wouldn't mind having a shelter for my family. Actually my Grandmothers tornado shelter was basically just a concrete lined hole in the ground with a big super thick cement top over it. The top was several feet above ground but it rode out a couple of tornadoes unharmed. I am thinking about doing something like that with either a water tank or big septic tank.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017