2 Against 100

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Colorado Prepper, Apr 12, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    So no shit there we were. Knee deep in brass and grenade pins, fighting for our lives. After 4 hours of brutal fire exchange, it got quieter and quieter. After a bit we got curious so we went to check on the carnage. High fives all around! Yup, we got em' both.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Carlos Hathcock and his spotter, Johnnie Burke, held 81 VC regulars in place for three days in a rice paddy at Elephant Valley, Viet Nam.

If I'm remembering correctly, they killed 80 of them.

3. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Hathcock was amazing in the feats he accomplished.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting but what is the relevance ? I do not intend getting in any firefights post SHTF.
    not in my neck of the woods anyway.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Well then I guess this doesn't apply in your AOC. For others of us, we have the means and temperament to fight back against any armed "zombies", hence a firefight. Guess in a situation where someone doesn't have means to defend themselves and only the aggressor force is armed it's not an option to defend, guess you could call that a massacre.

But in the case of Carlos Hathcock who was a USMC sniper in Vietnam and at one point was noted for having what was for many years thought to be the most kills of any US sniper at 93. It wassn't about a blazing firefight it was about stealth, cunning, precision and fear he instilled in the enemy.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm sorry but I don't see the relevance of an Army sniper in a war to civilians in a SHTF situation.
    in my neck of the woods and with the mortality rate of the unprepared sheeple its not a battle we need to worry about its putting food on the table.
    that will probably be the difference between where you are and where I am.
    the problem in the cities here will be not falling over the dead bodies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    As A war Vet I like the combat stories . I know of one and I am sure there are many more survival groups that have an impressive survival readiness structure . They also practice military style readiness tactics . The amount of amo they shoot on these gathering conventions would rival many government militaries . Where as my small group "compared to theirs " also practice survival techniques including target shooting we prefer not to shoot up our amo on that large a scale and save it for the apocalypse . I really don't expect some type of invasion by a military or civilian element but I and many others prepare because we are preppers .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have the greatest respect for anyone who served in the military.
    however I do think that there is a huge gulf between serving as a soldier in a war and that of a civilian having to deter a few looters. maybe.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like to do visual and mental defensive planning. I doubt is will come down to that but if I have already planned out my course of action, then I figure I will be able to respond faster if it should become necessary. Like playing Cowboys and Indians as a kid but with more detail and of course more serious consequences.

Colorado Prepper and poltiregist like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf, where you live nearly nobody has high-powered weapons and even fewer have ARs and AKs. Where I live EVERYBODY is armed. Most have high powered deer rifles and many have ARs and or AKs. If you will not I have on more than one occasion mentioned the value of being prepared to handle people at a long distance. A good shot can dissuade a large group of people and never really be in a lot of danger themselves. When people start dropping and you are;t sure exactly where the shots are coming from people tend to drop and reconsider their activities. I could very possibly find myself in a situation where this tactic would be advantageous. The people that place too much belief in the ARs and AKs may find themselves on the long and wrong end of a bolt action high powered rifle picking them off.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are guns in my part of Devon but its mostly farm shotguns and shotguns on some of the big sporting estates.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We just have very different environments and that gives us a world view that is different. The other thing is a somewhat different understanding of people and our personal methods of dealing with them.

Some people live in a defensive sort of state. They want to go where there are no people and that isolation makes them feel safe. Others are, shall we say, more offensive minded. These people gain their feeling of safety by trying to make people think that they are just too dangerous to mess with. On one end you have hermits and on the other end, you have the violent gangs and gang type people.

It is like a bell curve graf and most people are towards the middle. Survivalists though are not sheeple and tend to not be a part of the flock. I'm not a gang type BUT I don't even lock my doors at night and depend on being rather rough to feel safe. You are a Lone wolf and prefer if people are just kept at more of a distance. I don't believe that either way is the "best", rather they are both effective especially considering our different environments.

Where you live defensive weapons that would allow you to reak mass destruction onto a large group are rare. Here they are pretty common. A farm shotgun is a long way from my fully dressed out Mossberg Defender. It looks like this except mine has a high-intensity flashlight mounted under the tube and a better set of sights for low light shooting.
    97b0d2cb9a46b9cd9de3bc9c2f4a14bf.jpeg

That gun, in my arsenal, is a defensive piece. Even if faced with being outnumbered in a faceoff I would have a good chance of convincing them as INDIVIDUALS that if attacked I would kill several of them. Since mobs or untrained groups of people are not extensively trained they will most often respond as individuals rather than as a trained group of true warriors. I have done this several times. Though outnumbered with no hope of winning a fight I instead convinced them that I was going to kill the first person to attack me. Out numbered 15 to 1 with no guns involved nobody wanted to be the ONE that I was going to gut. They allowed me to walk away and found another hippy to mess with. Their mistake was not knowing the difference between a peace-loving flower child hippie and a long haired redneck.

In the story above about a hundred to one confrontation the sniper solution is a very effective solution as long as you are not dealing with heavily trained warriors. All the hundred have to do is either a massive charge to the snipers local after surrounding the area or send in a small group of hunter-killers to dig out that sniper and end him. Often though regular soldiers that have not been heavily seasoned by combat over an extended period they react as described. Individually none of them wants to be the ones that are possibly going to catch a bullet if they decide to DEAL with the rascal.

In a post-apocalyptic situation where you would be dealing with mob mentalities, even if they were vicious raiders, they would be pretty easy to convince to go mess with someone else. when they see their friends heads blow up they are not going to come for you like warriors. they will run and find someone less dangerous to steal from or take their place from. It is just a good tactical lesson for one way to handle a situation. even a pack of wolves will go around a badger and leave it alone.

Plan B would be the rabbit theory of survival and just be faster and run. Better some times to run and live to fight another day than stand and die like a fool. Or you might go the turtle method and have a hardened base that will be just too much trouble and take to long for a mob to stay around trying to dig you out. Thinking about these situations ahead of time means that when you run into a problem you have choices to act on rather than just reacting without a plan.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    TMT Tactical and CountryGuy like this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Isolation would and is my main plan, I don't have any desire to be around other folk and post SHTF isolation and remoteness is my preferred ideal.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I understand. I have always been a bit of a loner in a lot of ways but when compared to you I am a regular social butterfly. to each their own. That is why I always have said that survival is an art and not a science.

TMT Tactical and CountryGuy like this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was brought up as an only child and found my own pursuits and entertainment, mostly in the outdoors, and I have continued this into adult life, I never needed others I was happy on my own, I cannot say the same for most of the population, they seem to have this absolute need to be with others, I call it the "herding" instinct, which I think is why most people think it is impossible to survive SHTF without a group which is inconsistent with my beliefs.

TMT Tactical likes this.