33% of Brits have an emergency kit, but most of them don't have anything to start a fire

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Damorale, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I was reading an article earlier (it popped up on my Facebook wall) that said that 1/3 of people in the UK have a "grab and go" bag for emergencies, but the majority of them don't include things which would be crucial if they had to survive in the wild. Most of them had mobile phones or canned food, but didn't have simple fire starting equipment such as matches!

As most people wouldn't know where to begin with starting a fire without matches or a lighter. I think most people would just grab two sticks and rub them together, and hope something happened!

The Innkeeper and Keith H. like this.
  2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Well to be fair, it's mostly for city calamities, like storms, earthquakes, or fires. I don't think they would anticipate someone being transported in the jungle or anything like that, when they were designing the grab bags that would be placed on emergency exits in homes. So it's not really that big of a deal, because with civilization and society, I think statistically, there are a good number of people that would be able to start a fire in the city, in the event of a calamity, and fire can be passed on from group to group just like that. So it is more important in the city to have first aid kits, as well as other gear that would be used to help in temporary crises.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd be inclined to take with "a pinch of salt" any "fact" that was quoted on Facebook, I suspect the actual number is much lower-far lower, and what is in these grab and go bags?

4. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm inclined to agree. I literally don't think I know anyone who has a 'grab and go bag' - hell, even myself as someone familiar with the concept of what it and what's it's there for, and had also thought I should be putting them together for my family still haven't had the foresight to put it together.
    That being said, at the very least one would think you'd pack some form of lighter. Yes, you may live in the city and the disaster may be city based but there is a chance you'd have to get as far from the city as you possibly could and in essence fire could well become your lifeline. And it';s not like it's going to take up a hell of a lot of space or weight either. It's literally a Zippo lighter and some lighter fluid.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suspect that anyone- especially in the UK- who pops up on Facebook and says "I've got a grab and go bag" is only saying it for their 15 minutes of fame and literally has no more than a mobile phone and a credit card. I know people even out here who don't even own a torch(flashlight) and the only people with lighters or matches are either smokers or pyromaniacs. a few motorists may carry a first aid kit but most don't.

6. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The article I read was quoting some research conducted by a university, it might have been Sheffield university. I'll double check later when I've got a bit more time. I also doubted that 1/3 of people had a bag ready for emergencies, and perhaps the question was phrased badly so that people were confused about what a grab and go bag was. Obviously these types or research have to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway, as you are depending on people to tell the truth when they are asked the questions which people rarely do.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    exactly. 33% is far too high, a high exaggeration in my experience, the true figure is much less than 10%-more likely to be in single figures.
    if you add in all the preppers, survivalists, smallholders, off gridders, back to the landers and the like, the true figure will be closer to 1%.

8. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Ha, it's funny you should say that. I used to smoke, and had a heap of lighters when I did.
    But since quitting I don't.

I couldn't even begin to guess how many Zippo lighters I've had in my life that have just vanished into thin area (in some cases I suspect they've been pinched.)

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    disposable lighters are cheap enough on Ebay, I have 150 and I gave up smoking over 20 years ago!

10. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    People don't usually think of the occasion of starting a fire, and there's no full-proof way of starting a fire. Putting matches or a lighter into a emergency kit ,would be rather dangerous and i don't think people would assume the consequences if someone actually got hurt with that.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    how can matches or a lighter in a kit be dangerous? fire in an emergency situation is more important than immediate access to food or even water, it keeps you warm and it deters wild animals.

12. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree, most people in British cities wouldn't be thinking about starting fires, if there was an evacuation from peoples homes in a city it's highly unlikely that they would be going anywhere in the wilderness.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    especially in Britain. it might be different in say America with their history, or even Australia, but city folk in Britain aren't suddenly going to abandon their homes and head for the countryside on foot, for a start not many would get very far, and where would they go? The modern population hasn't got that kind of mindset, they need it all doing for them, nope in the UK that's a non starter.

Lisa likes this.
  14. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I went to live in a city a few years ago for a while and most of the people I knew there didn't know how to put up a tent or start a bbq.

The British people would probably be trying to avoid fire anywhere since the cities would be burning before long, I was living in Manchester when the riots were going on, my colleagues had to get locked in the building we worked in because of what was going on outside. No one is going to hot foot it out of the city and into the country, a survival kit for that kind of event would probably consist of a weapon and some cash to barter with.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived in a city for 43 years and whilst I spent as much time as possible in the countryside(well, my mother was a farmers daughter), most of the people I knew were more interested in going to the pub, or going clubbing, or where they were going for their next foreign holiday.
    from what I've seen, most people wouldn't know one animal from another( a guy at a county show thought a young calf was a goat!) and definitely don't know where their food comes from.

16. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Here in the U.S., I would bet dollars to donuts that way less than 33% of all people have a grab-n-go bag for emergencies. Actually, some of the people I know that actually do have one, only about half of those bags are what I would call anywhere near adequate. My grab-n-go bag weighs about 19 pounds and is in a backpack, so I don't have to worry about portability. Nineteen pounds seems heavy but you can carry that on your back with ease.

17. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    People don't usually think of the occasion of starting a fire, and there's no full-proof way of starting a fire. Putting matches or a lighter into a emergency kit ,would be rather dangerous and i don't think people would assume the consequences if someone actually got hurt with that.

18. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The "full-proof" way of starting a fire is to have the skill & experience. You don't need matches or a lighter, though I do not see the danger in these.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  19. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This data would indicate that Americans may be better prepared than I thought. I tried to look some things up, and this is what I found. I can't vouch for the validity of the statistics, but for arguments sake we will take it they are accurate. Only 39% have a preparedness plan. Only 29% have emergency supplies. How many include Fire in their preps I have no idea. I would like to think, and I may be woefully naïve, that most people would recognize that Fire, Water, Food, and Shelter are the most basic necessities. That is where you start.

https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2018/comm/how-ready-are-we.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have to say that I am more than a little sceptical about the figures. 33% seems for too high, and I would be surprised if those having grab bags it into double figures percentage wise. We do, however, have a lot of sailors in the UK, being a relatively small island, so I would expect most of them to have an emergency bag in their kit - but they, of course, would not carry fire making kit.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I doubt if many people in the UK have any kind of emergency supplies, most drive about with maybe a little bottle of water-which is trendy at the moment, but very little else, look how many were caught out in the snow just a few days ago with little or no supplies, no shovel, no thermos flask with hot drinks, no food, so I think these numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you don't have a way to make a fire you are just a dead person waiting for your last breath. I totally don't understand the comments about matches being dangerous. I suspect this is similar to the people that believe in Dangerous guns. A match doesn't just spontaneously strike itself and start a fire.

I quit smoking tobacco 30 years ago and still carry a lighter every day. There are so many ways to dependably make fire that I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't know several FOOL proof ways to make fire. Every one of my kits has at LEAST three different fool proof ways of starting a fire.

I include jute twine, greased cotton balls and fat wood in the kits and also have little birthday candles to make spreading it around easier. If you can't think of a way to make a fire then you probably think that food only can be found at grocery stores or restaurants too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the people of which we speak are not preppers, they are your everyday folk who think that all food comes from a supermarket, why would they even think they have to light a fire? its just not in their remit.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Agree Lonewolf. Firelighting skills are much prized in the UK by peppers, bush crafters etc.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess I was raised as an outdoors sort of person. I have always been a fire builder. I love a fire to look at on a cool night and always built one when I was out at night fishing or just walking and wanted to sit and relax for a while. To me fire making seems to be an almost instinctive behavior and people not having a clue how to do it is just unimaginable to me. We cooked with fire both inside and outside.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was brought up at a time when every house had a chimney and a fireplace, okay it wasn't logs it was coal fires, this at a time when coal was king, and us kids were taught by parents how to lay and light a fire, these days all new houses are all electric or electric and gas in some places, and most people under 40 or even 50 have probably never seen an open fire much less lit one.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Without statistical proof, I am guessing that about 40% of the new homes in America are built with a chimney / fireplace. In 10 to 15 years, I would bet it is zero new houses with a fire place. Wood or coal burning will be outlawed in residential homes. You can thank ,the Green Deal dumb sh1ts for that coming restriction. They want and plan to take away your ability to defend yourself and then they will take away your ability to warm your self.

lonewolf likes this.