48 Hours Solo With Just A Knife A Water Bottle And Fire Steel

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by AntonyRaison, Feb 20, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. AntonyRaison

AntonyRaison Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Here is footage of us doing our solo in Southern Africa..
    We had about 5 people on one large farm in different areas all doing our Solo
    This is part of our training to be a survival ranger...
    sorry the videos are long 3 parts of about 20min each.
    Part1

Part 2

Part 3

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    In video 1 that is not a fire steel you are using, it is a modern ferocerium rod.
    Keith.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Depending on where you live the ferrocerium rods are often sold as fire steels. The first ones that I remember were actually called Swedish Fire Steels. Ferrocerium rods are many times easier to use than flint and steel and are so inexpensive now that they are a go to for most people these days. I give them away with p-38 military can openers. The sparks are hotter and last longer than sparks from flint and steel.

4. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    I know they called ferro-rods, they more commonly called fire steels here.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    48 hours? is that all? that should be fairly doable, water would be my main concern we can go without food for 48 hours if necessary.

6. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    that was all for this one yes, I have also done 72 hours with the same, and 7 days with slightly more.
    Food is not an issue for well the books and theory says 3 weeks with out food..

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've done a week solo backpacking, carrying basic supplies on my back.

AntonyRaison likes this.
  8. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    Coool.... I have uploaded the 7 days we did out this side with the school I am with... that kit was tiny... was just a knife, water bottle Fero-rod, water purying drops, cordage, a folding saw, a canteen cup.. and clothing.

its under this thread
    https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/7-day-south-african-jungle-survival.5172/

lonewolf likes this.
  9. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Food really isn't an issue for a week at least. Water after 2 days starts becoming an issue. On a two day adventure shelter making and fire are the things you need to explore. I've done a 7 and 9 day trip solo and one of the things that is hardest ot adapt to is boredom. We are so used to almost constant stimulation that the time you have on your hands is at first sort of daunting. After about 4 days though I found my groove and the rest was a pleasure. For a long term trip I don't plan on a lot of eating.

I generally carry enough with me to provide about 400 calories a day and if I can catch more good and if not good. Most people don't understand how efficient their bodies are and how little it takes to keep them going and healthy. Our ancestors didn't eat all the time like we do and in general ate hand to mouth. If you are ever in a situation where food is an issue eat in very small amounts a lot of times a day and your body will get more from it than if you eat once or twice a day.

One thing that most people don't do or know much about is the abilities, strengths and adaptability of their bodies. I have pushed my body on a lot of occasions and know what it is capable of. I hear people all the time talking about getting weak if they miss a meal. LOL I know that I can go a couple of weeks without much problem and a week long fast is nothing problematic. The same sort of thing can be done with sleep. You can adapt to going for a surprisingly long time with very little sleep.

You only KNOW what you can do if you do it.

When I was a kid they gave you one match one egg and your boy scout knife and dumped you in the woods an hour before dark.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    A week certainly is not an issue, its about the longest I done so far... didnt eat till about day 4... and likely average around 300-400 cals also. What you are saying Is Exactly how I experienced it.

11. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    The human body is an amazing thing. The thing is that it is only under duress that it becomes apparent. On the surface man is slower than most prey or predator, has thin skin, nl real claws, short dull teeth, and pound for pound is weaker than any other primate. Even our vaunted intelligence is amazingly minor when compared to the instincts most animals are born with when it comes to survival.

Place us under stress though and amazing things start to happen. Our strength goes through the roof, and we get a lot faster. We can go without food for weeks and our entire way of metabolising changes. Our best trick is in our endurance. A man can literally run a horse down and beat one in a marathon race every time.

Basically our bodies have two different operating systems. Modern people operate almost totally one one system and this is the reason for our obesity problem. In the spring and summer we are able to find lots of carbohydrates and the more of them we eat the more our body wants them. We are making fat and don't actually have the ability to use the fat while we are in this condition. When winter comes there just aren't any carbs available and food in general becomes harder to find. The body shifts into ketosis and starts using the fats. We also eat more meat in the winter and in the meat is el carnitine and that helps metabolise fats.

When you go without food for three days what you feel is the shift being made. When we are living on carbs our energy levels bounce up and down but once we shift into a ketosis our energy levels smooth out. In a survival situation this sort of even energy level is advantageous because you make better use of any foods you get and don't waste energy. In my experience there is a sort of clearing of thought and increased energy levels when I go into this.

I have always been a big boy but have also had a huge amount of energy. I like food but have never really experienced hunger. I suspect that because of various factors in my childhood I more easily move into ketosis that most. Your body learns through experience and the more you do something the easier it is for you to do it. It is like a runner getting into shape by running. I have fasted off and on since I was a teen and always liked the things it did for me. I still don't eat but once day and don't eat every day.

Explore your abilities and you will be amazed at the responses you will get from your body.

AntonyRaison and OneFoot like this.
  12. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    100% accurate! I have checked out the science and nutrition surrounding this... and have also experienced the same..
    I would add with the lack of carbs your body uses fats for energies.

13. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    With children the carbs become like an addictive drug! Unless you force them they will only eat carbs. this is what leads to the obesity problems that they experience later in life. I have fought this my entire life. Dieting does not work for me. If I reduce my calorie intake I lose a few pounds then my body adjusts and that is it. If I go on a thousand calorie diet I will lose about ten pounds real quick and then level out. The problem starts when I go off this diet and even if I only go up to 1500 calories I will start to gain weight. When I was 17 I got tired of this and just refused to eat. For a little over two weeks I ate no solids and the only calories that I got were in a few natural (No sugar added) Fruit juices. After two weeks I few GREAT and the weight was sliding off. The Doc told me that I needed to start eating so for the next two years I ate once every other day and mostly ate meats, beans and rice along with fruits and salads. After that I never worried much about NEEDING to eat. If I don't eat for a few days it really doesn't mean anything to me.

I am and always will be a big boy. I LIKE it that way. I don't like it when I get too thin and over and over I have proved that I could out work a skinny person by a huge margin. I don't have the up and down energy levels. If my gut is empty I burn fat. In the 80s Life got tough here. There were no jobs and every place that I had ever worked went out of business. The best job that I could find was as a hummer loading and unloading trucks for a warehouse. They paid me a dollar per thousand pounds hand loaded and stacked. I made 500 to 750 a week doing this as a day contract laborer until they hired me full time. That warehouse job paid for my wife to go to college and after that life got pretty easy. I often would work steadily for up to 16 hours a day and never tired until I stopped. I watched other men burn out and faint in those hot trucks right beside my fat ass.

Because I really miss meals my fat is like a truck with two gas tanks. When one runs dry you just flip to the other tank. I shift to a state of ketosis very easily and don't have the let down where my blood sugar drops too low like most people do. My only problem has been high blood sugar never low. I drive the doctors crazy because if my blood sugar gets high and they tell me I'm type two diabetic and put me on drugs I will stop eating drop a bunch of weight and then not be diabetic again. I'm 65, 6' 2" weight 225 and my A1C is 5 which is normal. If I start eating more than once a day I gain weight and things get bad.

The thing that Doctors don't take into account is that people are different and they want everyone to be the same. As I've gotten older there have been challenges. The men in my family seldom live to 70 so at 65 I am well into the end of my run. This doesn't bother me. I've lived life really well and made my mark on things. I'm fortunate in that I retired at 62 and am having a GREAT time. If I drop dead tomorrow I have no regrets and would be happy to do it all over again with no changes. I have LIVED life to the max and never been happy to just survive. Even the tough years had their pleasures. Never fear change or challenges they are just opportunities to grow and find new ways to have fun.

14. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am rather clued up on dieting/nutrition..

Carbs are not necessarily a bad thing... Its going to vary between people.
    Some can do these Banting style diets with high Fat high protien low carbs and that works well for them
    Others can do a balanced Diet..
    The issue is generally with the type of carbohydrates
    Simple carbs like sugars; lactose,sucrose, fructose is not great breaks down quickly in small intestine and skyrockets blood sugar level..
    complex carbs are better if you following a balanced diet based on a caloric requirement.