A Compelling Case For The 6.5 Creedmoor

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Sourdough, Jun 2, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Soooo.....I don't have a doggie in this doggie fight. I have never shot a 6.5 Creedmoor. My only reason for not going with the 6.5 Creedmoor was that I already owned many thousands of 7.62X51 NATO cartridges.

So I only post this up because it overwhelmingly flatass interesting and impressive.

The numbers are very convincing. And the other lesson: Never underestimate the skills of a man in a wheelchair.
    https://westernrifleshooters.wordpr...guerrillas-kilometer-an-initial-conversation/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME, Very good article. I did choose the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 308 or the 7mm-08. Not because it was vastly superior but because I felt it had the best over all score for my needs. I am highly recoil sensitive, so that was a big factor. The BC was another factor. Since I planned to reload, then the ammo cost started to break even. I doubt I will every have to make 1,000 yard shots, it is nice to know that If I aim at a zombies (kidding) nose, that at 300 yard I will hit them right between the eyes and at 100 yards, ruin their smile. I plan to shoot 143 grn. ELD X bullet. I really believe that is big enough for most north American game and certainly for my local critters.. I will leave the big bears to you to deal with.

I really enjoyed the article, very good and informative read. Thanks for posting.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT.........Did you go bolt or semi-auto......???

There is some wonderful reading about the creation of that cartridge in "Precision Shooter", directly from the creator. What I found most interesting......it was designed for a 22" barrel. Not 22.5" or 21.5"
    That and how it got the name it got.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I went with a bolt action. I installed a muzzle break, an extra butt pad. I have bedded the stock (polymer stock) , installed a 20 MOA scope rail and mounted a nice Vortex 6 x 24 x 50 scope. Modified the trigger (Mcabo springs) and will be headed for the range Thursday morning. I will be using factory ammo to get it zeroed in at 200 yard. Still working on getting all my reloading equipment, so factory ammo to start with.

My semi weapons are force multipliers. Granted they are good enough for most occasions, but I prefer bolt for hunting and long range shooting.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Basically as near as I can tell the biggest thing that the 6.5 Creedmore has going for it is that it is a short cased round and so can be better used in a semi-auto used in a shorter stroke bolt action. Balistically it sits right there with the 270 Winchester and the 25-06 Remington rounds as an excellent small to medium sized game taker.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/25-06-vs-6-5-creedmoor-vs-270/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    6.5 is a .264 diameter bullet.

I will not be tooling up for this newer calibration.

I am thinking that newer powders along with newer and better bullet designs have brought out the development of this 6.5 mm cartridge.

But I will not be gearing up for it. Just what I need ...another caliber for which to stock up.

The .270 and the 25.06 are necked down from .30.06 cases which. found favor, over time, in factory chambering/production.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I owned a 25-06. Nice shooter but was a pain to find ammo and eh ammo cost about twice as much. Traded it for my 243 SAKO. Still got the SAKO but it is becoming a Safe Queen, due to the difficulty is getting parts. Sub-MOA rifle.

Never owned or shot a 270, so can't offer any first hand knowledge. The ballistics look good. I will give you all an update on my new 6.5 Creedmoor, when I get back for the range this coming Thursday.