A Day Of (delicious) Eating

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by zaneullrich, Jul 22, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. zaneullrich

zaneullrich Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    1390 calories total, 104 G protein

73ce2702fbf104c71b2a14718d178ff2.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Zaneulirich,

First, a welcome to the Forum. Had not seen any of your earlier posts.

I'm less into calorie and protein amounts and nearly exclusively focused to costs.

Prior to the lockdown here, I am one of the few anti-Starbucks folks who would occasionally patronize the place. Always looked forward to winning my verbal battles in response to provocations from the servers and some of their favorite customers.

When writing up my above, fond memories returned. Your screen name reminded me of "Zane Gray" television series about the cowboy days out West.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm sitting here eating a late lunch. Super healthy this. Hotdogs and Pepsi. Oh wait, I put mustard on my lard logs. Mustard is made with turmeric. See, perfect nutrition.

4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am an old cogger and I can say the best meal I ever ate was when I sat down at my Aunts house near the gulf coast on the side of a Louisiana Bayou . The table was filled with critters they had gathered up from the swamp . The cook knew how to cook . That was a meal that was burned into my brain forever .

Morgan101, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You mix animal fat and vegetables, you'll assuredly not die. Humans only need a bit of meat / fish a day.

Poor folk, S.Appalachia, hard times:
    > Everybody fished
    > Poke greens and curly mustard "kilt" (killed) with renderings off streaked meat, then eat the cracklin's
    > Onion sandwiches
    > Squirrel gravy
    > Runner beans
    > Indian corn
    > Tree nuts
    > Ramps to season everything fried (mountain leeks grow wild, gathered when hunting)
    > Groundhog -- gamey but can be rendered also

Bread was corn bread. I've eaten several ton.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-449.html

For gunpowder to hunt, country folk made their own. Lead and iron, the locals mined it.
    My dad's dad worked the Embreeville Mines. They also smelted the iron and worked it. My dad was born in that camp. Numerous kin are buried in that holler.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embreeville,_Tennessee

Know that country folk can be mighty self-sufficient.

https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/mary-mckeehan-patton/

Had a high school chum who later bought a farm up Powder Branch Road. I've been up that road several times.

upload_2020-7-22_15-36-7.png upload_2020-7-22_15-36-43.png

Q56pq1ysV1SFKtYpD1PT0vBCN9zJoqFc.jpeg

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Food is like music. It elicits memories, either good or bad. Think about special meals you have had.mine are usually associated with a holiday and family. They bring a smile to your face.

The same for food that satisfies at bad times. In a jungle SERE school after 6 days with nothing but water, I can vividly remember these large moths starting to fly as the sun was going down. I would catch them. Pop them in my mouth and chew them up. They were nasty, but they satisfied me so I could sleep a couple hours. Memories are a strange thing...

Dale

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pigeon shooting over stubble

There are all manner of links to learn how to clean and cook pigeon.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cleaning+cooking+pigeons&atb=v140-1&ia=web

Pigeons are nasty and are covered in parasites. These lice have to be removed.

On live birds:

Dipping a bird into boiling water can do two things, make it somewhat easier to pluck, and kill/remove lice. Then again, some people chill the bird to make it easier to pluck -- go figure. Just remember, if you gotta eat pigeons to get by, they are nasty. Had a friend from the Punjab, they eat pigeons. "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

During hard times, bait birds so that you can slaughter many at a time with birdshot.

Feed them, blast them. Think what one load of birdshot fired out'a open bore would do to the following feeders. Need a 12 ga.? Hardly. Even a little .410 might do the trick. My choice, a low brass 20 ga. load of 7 1/2 shot.
    upload_2020-7-22_18-41-37.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Pigeons = Rats with wings. And yes, that is my professional opinion.

Dalewick, Jul 22, 2020
      Morgan101 and Old Geezer like this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    city pigeons, I agree with you, but wood pigeons are completely different.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Personnaly, not worth the disease potential. Not the problem with eating, it's with the handling. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's 20 or 30 some diseases that are human communicable that they can carry. I worked a lot with these little monsters 25 years ago and can't look at them the same anymore. They are rats with wings.

Dale

Dalewick, Jul 23, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Squirrels are tree rats but they are good eating. Isn't a squab just a young pigeon? They are good too. There is only one thing that I have never eaten or sort of backed away from and that is snails. They are on my bucket list though. I used to have squid on the no go list but once I tried them I found that I love them. Fresh Calamari and beer on the Beachfront bars in Florida is great.

If it walks, crawls, flies, swims or slithers I probably will eat it. Crows actually aren't bad buzzards are poisonous too often to try. Other than that I consider all birds potential food for the pot. I was raised in Cajun country and there isn't anything that a Cajun can't cook up and make into fine eating.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Turmeric? Isn't mustard made from mustard seeds?

12. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Your list looks pretty much like my diet. Hahahaha. I can't afford "nice" food any more. Actually, that's given me an idea. I wonder if the founders of this site would consider a page on recipes. Hmmm. Must ask.