A Fishing Site For Reference

Discussion in 'Other Reference Material' started by Pragmatist, Oct 2, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.onthewater.com/category/saltwater

Good morning all,

This link is useful for the basics and keeping up to date as far as the fishing goes.

My small Prepper group has extensively studied fishing for immediate food (for later supplies: Forget it !) and it just won't be happening.

The combination of population densities at water access areas means that it is not a safe venture to fish.

In a specific SHTF all Hades breaking loose such as a forest fire coupled to other peril, I could be on an inflatable for safety - AND - within a cove hidden from barbarians.

America's "rugged individualism" as pushed by historian Charles Beard was much smaller an event ... only a few were real pioneers ... than the history books write up. Much of our "rugged individualism" involved the nearby Army fort.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Keeping up to date is far from costly.

I learned somewhere that those at the intro level can best learn with the more expensive equipment than homemade stuff.

Isn't it better to start off with a deck-mounted harpoon launcher than a bamboo pole, fishing line and hook made from a safety pin ? The float is cork from Uncle's bottle of medicine of some kind.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    For those who have the money.Poor guy like is unlikely able to afford such :(

Cheaper alternative

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Now you know I was joking ... I hope !

At some other thread where I posted something on camping equipment you had said that newbies should start off with more expensive store bought stuff than my suggested DIY substitutes.

I understand you are poor in a foreign country.

I also understand that you are in better economic shape than many of us here at the Forum.

Please "lighten up" - American slang for lightening up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    No. I was advocating in using CHEAP store bought equipments. Because expensive stuff will intimidate most beginner

Nonsense. My meals + cigarettes only cost me $6/day at most (merely around 2000 Calorie/day) I strongly doubt any of you living that cheap.

This is less than $2 lunch.

039a6eda775675c7bd5e531af63b6fd4.jpeg

And this is my favourite sea food that one should be extremely wary when consuming it (slightly poisonous). Also less than $2

039a6eda775675c7bd5e531af63b6fd4.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Well, WHAT is the seafood ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fishing can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. Some of my best memories were my Dad and I dragging perch out from around the cyprus knees with cane poles that we had cut, dried and laquered ourselves. the entire set up ptobably didn't cost over 25 cents back then maybe a dollar now.

For our purposes the cheaper methods are much better than the mre expensive methods. i have caught a ton of catfish with nothing but hooks and string. Limb lines, throw lines, pole lines with cane I cut and then after tying a string on it I just bated it and stabbed the pole into the mud on the bank. If you have a boat you can nove to trotlines and feed a bunch of people on a pretty steady basis.

Cuban Yoyos are cheap but you can make your own for free out of scrap 4" sewer pipe. They work great!!
    8323f0bbc5fbfe5b5a0ff71fa3cbd57e.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    7a7d880df0ba3638ece743bbe08c90d7.jpeg

Its basically mollusc. The primary ingredient is. . . . well not sure the English common name but the species name is Corbula faba Hinds. And the one on the skewer is Blood clam (Tegillarca granosa). And since the Corbula faba Hinds is slightly poisonous its typically serve alongside with green coconut (an entire coconut not in some glass), or be ready to have enough Activated Carbon tablets after eating it :D

How the dish is serve

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanm,

Good info.

And also PVC pipe section - where hook can be stuffed inside pipe if entire package used for a field environment evacuation. I wrap my Yoyo of Cuber origins (D, these ethnic ID names are "sensitive" here ! This place will deem us cruel colonialists.) in a net. Then a Ziploc bag so couple of spinners are kept in place.

Got to tell Varuna an American source of fishing line - various kinds - mono, fabric, many pre rigged with tackle - ...
    Go to usual, good times, fishing site on side of road where there's overhead wires - power, telephone, other types, and look up. The many dangling lost lines already rigged for use are a Prepper's Manna. The 30 ft telescoping walking stick or other type can retrieve much stuff.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Appreciate info on what the crusine is.

We here know this as - mussel - saltwater clams but the typical American wouldn't know about the poisonous variety. The big theme here used to be was to avoid the shell stuff due colestrolel (spell?) overload in diets.

Indonesian street foods have an American equivalent: MacDonalds and Waffle House - conceding that Indonesian street foods are from more sanitary kitchen arrangements. Hong Kong street foods are somewhat expensive so just rely on daily bread products from Park and Shop groceries. A Feench bread is typically a standard loadout in my EDC flight bag.

Soon will have breakfast. Am now in the mood for some electric eel with a high amp rating.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    fishing poles can be made out of most natural materials dosent have to be an expensive man made one.
    hand lines can be used and very successfully.
    as a boy I have done a lot of rock pool fishing and often brought back enough for supper for parents and me.

TMT Tactical likes this.