A grass hut as a permanent shelter

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by FuZyOn, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking if a grass hut would actually make for a good, permanent shelter. I imagine it wouldn't hold up quite well in the more extreme conditions like heavy rain or snow, but it could be a decent shelter out in the woods where it's guarded by high trees. Here's what I'm talking about:

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    it would be okay if you lived where there weren't high winds, tornado's, typhoon's, heavy rain and snow.
    I don't think it would last long in a typical British winter, we would need something more heavy duty, not that i'm expecting to have to live in the woods.

3. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, his homemade plate/shale roof was a lot more applicable. This is much faster to build and could probably serve as a temporary, but I don't think it holds up to the protection of an authentic hard-bodied house.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    First of all I must point out that I have never built a grass roofed hut, but our family home in England was an 18th century house & used to have a thatched roof. If done properly with a good pitch & plenty of layers, I think a grass hut should keep you dry & warm in winter.
    Keith.

5. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    A grass thatched hut cannot be a permanent shelter. You cannot stay comfortably whenever the weather is cold. You will also need to be repairing it now and again. Instead of grass, you can use old metal sheets that you can collect around to make a roof. Grass can easily catch fire which makes it not suitable for thatching.

6. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Grass huts may not be that safe because it takes just one mistake for your shelter to go up in flames especially if you use a wood burning stove inside the hut. I think it might be safer to use materials that are less likely to catch fire. I'd prefer a shelter made from scrap metal.

7. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    That youtube channel is solid as hell. That channel is great way to learn how to do it. But as far as PERMANENT Shelter? No. I can see problem arise in heavy winds, rain and snow. I think if he strengthen the timber and use thicker sidings it could hold up better. If we weaved in more timber for the horizontal braces, it would of been really tight like a giant weaved basket. He used vines, which is the primitive way, but with a little more time he could of had a solid shelter that could withstand a whole lot more.

Not to just knock your thread. It has value and discussion worthy. But as a permanent shelter, as is. No. I would use timber with a lot more weight and thick sidings. This is the shelter you would build and live in while you work on your permanent shelter.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think a GRASS roofed hut is completely different to an English THATCHED house-which is usually water reed rather than grass and the walls are usually stone or cob, mind you they still catch fire even so!! insurance companies hate thatched houses.