A Must Have Survival Item

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Jessec16, Jun 15, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Jessec16

Jessec16 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I found this water filter called a Miniwell and it is soo amazing I thought I should show you guys. It filters out 99% of all water born diseases/parasites and you can attatch it to anything. Like a hose, water bottle or tube. You can even just use it like a straw. It's so cool I tried the Life Straw but it does not filter like this one. I literally bring it wherever I go now. What do you guys think?
    https://tinyurl.com/y8eogagr

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    thanks, I prefer the Sawyer mini water filter, I'll stick with that.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I like the Sawyer too. I have a couple the minis and a larger one set up with a 5 gallon gravity system. I keep one in my boat and the other one in my always carry truck bug out kit. This actually looks a lot like the Sawyer. Water is a must so I have a lot of directions to go. I also have 3 different types of survival straws. They are ok but have very limited life expectancy. I carry one in my fishing kit.

4. arctic bill

arctic bill Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    we used to use all sort of this type of stuff on canoe trips . chemicals, filters, ultraviolet, ect. the trouble was the following.
    1) chemicals you could only use for two weeks maximum .
    2) filters blocked up with debri very quickly and then were very slow, one minute for a cup of water.
    3) ultra violet killed the germs but did not remove and debri . I personally like to boil a gallon of water every morning and then people can use it to make tea, coffee, oatmeal , or just let it cool and put it in your water bottle , maybe even add kool aid or gatorade to it.
    Bill

5. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    I wonder just how dangerous just drinking the water is to people in the long run. I imagine at first most people would experience some disorders but after you adapt to many of them that problem would subside. If drinking unpurified water is so deadly how do all the animals survive? Hogs especially have digestive systems very similar of people and here in Texas they are flourishing and surviving in huge numbers without purified water. They are big healthy suckers too so it isn't like they are struggling.

I know that the dogs and cats all seem to prefer pond, puddle or ditch water over their water bowls filled with "safe" tap water. I used to bathe and swim in a pond every day during the summer. Let's be real when you are getting the water in your nose and mouth while swimming you might as well drink the water. I was never sick. I would come home and rinse off in my outdoors shower and that was my daily ritual.

I watch my dogs and cat and notice that they eat certain grasses every chance they get. I wonder if they are getting some sort of protection from parasitic problems from these weeds and grasses. I know that they seem to eat it and then a little later throw it back up.

I think that over time people will get tougher as far as the low grade bacterial infections. I think that I an already sort of that way because of my regular exposure to dirt and water that isn't from a tap or bottle. What you have to understand about water is that what you can probably drink and what you should NEVER drink has a lot to do with how many people have come into contact with that water before you.

Rivers, streams and ditches are going to be possibly contaminated by typhoid and cholera pretty fast. A pond that is isolated is probably going to be safer. a fresh puddle after a rain is almost certainly fairly safe after you develop a little bit of resistance to the dirt born bacteria.

Something that people don't talk about now days that our fairly recent ancestors knew all about was how to deal with intestinal parasites. Tobacco ortant thing and a good treatment for all sorts of things. Mineral oil used to be used as well. It might pay us to explore some of the old ways. Eventually you are going to run out of bleach, your filters will wear out, you will use your last pill and then like it or not you are going to have to drink the water. The more you boil the better but that just isn't a total answer unless you bathe in boiled water, wash your dishes in boiled water and maybe even wash your clothes in boiled water.

I have probably drank more untreated water than treated in the last 30 years. I had a shallow water well. I also regularly drank out of a cistern filled with untreated rainwater or even water from an old school open well. I spend a lot of time fishing and swimming in lakes, rivers and ponds.

Just something to think about...

6. watcherchris

watcherchris Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Being in the Military and traveling around the globe...particularly in my younger years...I noticed that for about a week when going to a new place...I would have an upset stomach. Sometimes it was a pretty rough week. But after that it would settle out.

I am thinking all of that was an adjustment to the new area and in particular to the new water exposure as my system adapted.

I notice this during the two months I was RAF Mildenhall England from here at Langley Air Force Base here in Virginia.

I have also noticed it when traveling about this country.....not as extreme but it is there.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

7. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Each area has its own bacteria that may be NEARLY identical to the ones elsewhere but not exactly. When you go there at first your body has inferior resistance to the unfamiliar bugs and then adapts. Montezuma's revenge is common and not just in Mexico.

Nowadays people are so clean that they barely have resistance to the germs that are native to where they live. I've seem kids from homes where things were kept so clean and sterile that when the kids go to school they spend the first several years sick. I worked for a woman that pulled out ALL of her appliances weekly so she could clean and mop the floors under them. She lived with a bottle of antibacterial cleaner in her hands and any time she saw her kids touch anything she was washing their hands with it. They nearly died when they went to school.

When we first move here and my wife went to work in the prisons it was a little tough. Prisons bring the germs from all over the place and then are stuffed together in close confined quarters to spread and breed. We had a cold almost constantly that first year as new Rhinoviruses were brought here then home to me. When you have 3000 men locked up in an unairconditioned prison in tight close and crowded conditions the flu can become a MONSTER. If it gets to spreading all they can do is lock it down and let it run its course in that block.

8. arctic bill

arctic bill Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    I believe that we need some germs to keep our immune system up and running. as texmanm pointed out it is not good to live in a germ free environment.