A Place For Air Guns???

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by jeager, May 12, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Really interesting quality video's. Thanks Old Geezer, Educating us old city boys. Spent too much time on asphalt and not enough in the country. Trying to catch up on lost time. Not possible but fun to try.

2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I own a Ruger 22 cal, air rifle with factory included suppressor. I have used air rifles professionally to take game up to coyote size. Mine is a cocking model but I have used the tank compressed air models. I prefer the cocking models since I was always in a bad spot when my tank ran out of air. I prefer 22 cal. over the 177 cal. as it always made for cleaner kills and was safe to use in urban areas for pigeon control. Animals the size of groundhogs (woodchucks) and porcupines are easy targets for air rifles and areas with spruce grouse or blue grouse make for many meals as the lack of noise keeps the other birds from spooking. The same is true for pigeons at night with a light. The 22 cal. will easily kill 3 pigeons with one shot when they are roosting.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I also prefer the 22 caliber pellet rifles, Repeated cocking the break barrel models is not beyond my physical condition, so I have shifted to the PCP rifles. Air compressor ($212 on ebay) and a spare tank and I think I will be all set until the grid goes down. The 22 caliber pellets have better accuracy over the 177 caliber, due to less wind drift. The 22 caliber is not only very efficient but also usually lower cost than 22 lr. Save the 22 lr, for bigger game and put meat on the table with air guns.

Dalewick likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    .50 cal air rifles____ Lotta power, notta lotta noise.

Fast-forward into this video to 7 minutes to get to the hawg hunt. This fellow got too much emotion going on, but he's using yet another brand of .50 cal. air rifle. I wanted to show some different brands.

Hog hunting with a .50 air rifle; this guy goes for head shots, good deal, I like this guy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just received my PCP air rifle (Air Venturi Avenger -- 22 cal). I will be sighting it in this Saturday (1-2-2121). I have it pumped to 4,100 psi cylinder pressure (rated 4,300 psi) and it has held pressure for the last two day. Tomorrow's testing will be at 1,500 psi pellet chamber pressure, with JSB Hades 22 Diabolo pellets. I will only have enough time to get the scope sighted in but I do look forward to future accuracy testing and some fun range time.

Ystranc and Old Geezer like this.
  6. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Some food for thought.

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When you put this air rifle through its paces, let us know how it performed. I like that it has multiple shots per air-fill. I like that it has an 8 - shot magazine. Not just post-SHTF, but right here and now, there is the need for quiet shots -- whether they come from sub-sonic ammo or an air rifle.

If you could, please let us know about its terminal ballistics. Whatever you wish to test this on -- animal bone, ballistic gel, sheets of wood, ... . Will it rip or even cause to explode a 16 oz. drink bottle?

One thing we all need to remember is to use air rifle oil in our toys. Regular oil will diesel-off, send the pellet super-sonic, and blow the seals in the air rifle. I've had this happen even using proper pellet oil -- thank goodness the pellet rifle was not damaged.

Just read the specs on the Air Venturi Avenger. Manuf sez it provides 24 shots per fill.

upload_2021-1-30_10-25-23.png

upload_2021-1-30_10-24-51.png

If this air rifle is a performer, I see a lot of folk being interested in purchasing one.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    air rifles are good for small game and fowl but with the UK power limits not much good for larger game.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:

Shooting pigeons

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Stew pot meat is stew pot meat. Humans do not need a whole lot of meat per day. Four ounces is all you need. Gotta get your Vit B12 and you only get that from meat or eggs or insect grubs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes that was my opinion too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The government overlords of the U.K. still allow the purchase of .22 rifles. Get an accurate .22 and feed it subsonic Eley ammunition. You may already have some .22 rifles. Other folk from England may be reading this posting and may wish to purchase a rifle for small game and for target practice. When the British economy and government collapse, they'll wish they had bought something with which to kill sitting birds and small mammals. Good that you live far away from London, LoneWolf. Some terrorist group may use London as a test platform for a make-do nuke. Smuggling is now big business in London -- all they have to do is smuggle in the parts for WMDs.

I just read that pump-action .22 rimfire rifles are legal in England. No pump rifles in larger calibers (calibres), nor center-fire pumps; but rimfires, yes. Is this true?

Truth be told, it takes little power to kill squirrels; however, it does take marksmanship, therefore practice practice practice.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6434065/How-guns-killing-Britains-teenagers-UK.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I know nothing about firearms, rimfire or otherwise, in the UK, I made a decision long ago not to go down that route due to licencing and other issues.
    I grew up with air rifles and they are the only rifle I have ever fired, I was once allowed to handle a 357 Magnum my then father in law owned-empty of course!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.keenstackleandguns.co.u...and-accessories/ammunition/22-ammunition.html

I was looking online for subsonic .22 lr ammo available in England. Seems subsonic ammo is readily available over there. Of course if you are a member of a criminal gang, you can buy anything you want in England, to include AKs, Makarovs, and the ammunition for them. This is what centralized government is all about -- keeping the populace in fear so that they will run to Big Brother for help. Here in America, the ammo stores have little stock due to gun-owners buying-up ammo for the coming civil war. Too, with the defunding of police here in The States, people have come to realize that they themselves are going to have to take care of the aggressors.

https://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p74244_Eley-Club-.22lr-ammunition.html

https://www.eleyammunition.com/eley-club-22lr/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When governments collapse, draconian laws will mean nothing.

Many Americans WANT the police defunded so that the wanna-be revolutionaries will have no protection from the Will of the People. Recently, all that the police have been doing is to protect the looters from the citizens.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    seeing a Police man around here is a rare sight since they closed all the rural Police stations, now the only place you will see a Policeman regularly is in the cities mind you thats where most of the crime is, not a lot of shootings in the UK, it does happen but rarely, its mostly knife and machette attacks, recently in one of the big cities a 15 year old boy was stabbed and killed by other 15 and 14 year old boys and girls, probably gang related.
    its quiet and peaceful where I live, a long way from any big city.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The crime rates among Americans of European descent are the same as the crime rates seen in Europe. We are genetic cousins, thus the same behavioral patterns. Historically-speaking, some tribes found in Europe were monsters -- there is no denying that. Members of these blood lines are still out there -- they are out there and making babies. There are some family lines of Whites that are to be totally avoided.

In the following table, note that in the states listed as lowest in homicide rates, few non-European people live in those states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicide_rate

[​IMG]

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    As requested some follow up info on my Venturi Avenger 22 caliber PCP air rifle.

Full charge is 4,300 psi'
    Trigger hammer pressure (pellet chamber regulated pressure) is set at 1,500 psi.
    Trigger pull set at 2.4 pounds
    Pellet == JSB Match Diabolo --- Hades == 15.89 grains
    Pellet FPS == 870
    About 20 foot pound of energy.

Target shot at 50 yards= I can't seem to load the pictures. Info: Best 5 shot group 5/8th inch.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Near target accuracy from an inexpensive air rifle. Great stuff.

I've killed the crap out'a small game with a .177 Beeman at 650 fps; you have double the energy out'a your air rifle. It'll kill what you need to kill. Accuracy is what it is all about. Poachers kill deer with .22 subsonic ammo. Dead is dead. Meat on the table keeps people alive and healthy. Bottom line.

Trusting a weapon gives one the needed confidence. I know what I can do. I know what it can do. And being quiet is a good thing.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    High-end pellet rifles -- super-accurate, super-powerful, super-expensive:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I really, really like my Air Venturi Avenger. It will shoot most pellets over 15 grains pretty darn well. It appears to really like pellets in the 17 to 19 grain weight range. I am still getting very good groups but did discover a slight anomaly. After storing the rifle for a few days (between range visit) the first five shots are off by about an inch of two. After a few shots the rifle is right back on target. I think there is a minor leak in the shot regulator. The gage does not reflect this but the gage graduations would only reflect a major pressure change. If I were to use this for hunting purposes, I would fire (no pellet) the air rifle a few times prior to starting the actual hunt. This air rifle can be dry fired without damaging the rifle. It is my understanding that is a no-no on springer type air rifles. I now follow this procedure prior to starting my range groups. I am currently waiting on a air rifle slug manufacture to restock their inventory of both 17.3 grain slugs and also 20.5 grain slugs. These slugs are offered in five different diameters in the 22 caliber. I will test them out to see which diameter my rifle likes best. This rifle is now my go to range weapon. With the heavier grain ammo, I get about 50 shots before the accuracy starts to degrade and I have to recharge the rifle. With the 15 grain pellets I get about 70 shots. Using my high pressure compressor, it takes about 8 minutes from no pressure to full pressure-- 4,300 psi. In my opinion, this is the best budget pcp air rifle on the market, bar none. NOTE: By the simple nature of being a pcp air rifle, means it is not cheap. The air compressor cost as much as the rifle and then you add a decent scope and you can be pushing $1,000. While this rifle can be filled with a hand pump, you are looking at 150 pumps, hence my reason for opting for the compressor. I also went over board on the scope. I mounted a SWFA fixed 20 power scope, a bit over kill. There are lower cost scopes that would serve just as well. This air rifle is a great training tool to keep my shooting skill up and not break the bank. My shot cost ranges between 4 and 5 cents per round. Once I get the slugs and get the rifle tuned into them, I will move out to 100 yards and post the results.

poltiregist likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was brought up on air rifles, they will take out any small game we have in Britain post SHTF.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  23. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Don't see the point of gas guns, keep it simple with a break barrel or underlever air gun pistol or rifle. LW, I've got two you'd like, my dads BSA Airsporter in .22 and BSA Meteor in .177 (or it might be the other way round) in store, I must get them out and check them over, not been used in years but were well oiled before putting away.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    got to agree, we can use break barrel all day with no loss of power, gas guns tend to suffer with loss of power during colder weather.
    I dont like .177s I think their underpowered and underlevers are the worst of all, or at least the ones I had were!!
    the spring and seal may need checking and replacing if they have been stored for years.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Just checked a photo album and last time I used them was when I was a nipper back in 1994, got a photo of me and dad with them and I'd guess thats the last time they were used. I got them off my brother in 2012 who was going to sell them and thats when I put them away. I'll strip down to bare bones and rebuild them when I get the chance...probably another ten years :(

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    thats a waste, they should be used, not stored away , or given to someone who will use them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    re: First few shots being off.

I don't know about air rifles doing this, but with target rifles, one must fire some rounds to warm the barrel -- even if it is a heavy barrel. Too, a barrel with some fouling in it has a different strike-point than a freshly cleaned barrel.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pellet rifles with gas reservoirs are usually for high velocity / extra energy. This is especially true of the .22 pellet rifles and calibers above .22. A cocking rifle to achieve such velocity would have to take a tremendous amount of force to cock it, or it would have to be pumped up. I used to have a pump-up .177 handgun. You were not to pump it more than like 12 times, so I would pump it 20 and it lasted -- kept it for decades. I did have to replace an "O"-ring in it once.

High velocity pellet rifles in the U.K. must be registered with Big Brother as a firearm. I don't know why. They are still inadequate for self-defense. God forbid that some genetic trash burglar get injured.

http://www.airgunexpress.co.uk/page-21/airgun-laws.html

"Always ensure that your air rifle is powerful enough to achieve a clean kill of your chosen quarry and do not attempt a shot of more than 30 metres. Generally the ideal power level is just over 11 ft lb (15J). For an air rifle that is more powerful than 12 ft lb, (16.25J) you must have a firearm certificate."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I sort of agree with you but they are a bit of family history. I'll take them to Spain, got room out there to pling at home. I've been looking at the gun laws out there and there's a handgun club not far from me which I'll be trying out for sure, guest shooter sort of thing.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like air guns. I have a couple of rifles and a couple of pistols. One rifle and one pistol is a pump up type. The other rifle is a spring piston type and the other pistol uses co2 charges. The Rifles are both capable of taking small game and the pump up pistol might manage. I like the 177 but then I don't need an under powered 22 when I have 4 22LR rifles.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have two of the cocking variety of pellet rifles. Y'know, where you use the barrel as the lever. One is low-power but deadly accurate. The other is powerful but not as accurate.

One does not need a .458 Winchester magnum to nuke a bird or squirrel.

The more powerful airgun I got for a song, used. I put a air rifle scope on it to reach out there ... maybe to drive off stray dogs ... I don't know. Post SHTF, one could use it to drive-off trespassers if you didn't want to kill anybody. Close-in, it would be a danger to a human. I mean, this thing would crack a human skull -- it'll go 3/4" into dried pine.

I like the concept of the really, really powerful air rifles. Just can't see me spending a bunch of money right now on one of them. I fully understand why people buy them.

If I need more power, I go to .22 LR in subsonic / VERY subsonic rounds. CB cap .22 rounds can barely be heard. Too, they are not dangerous at distance as is the regular .22 long rifle rounds. I live about 1.5 mile from mountain forests, but there are plenty of people around here, not a city, but still I don't want a round coming down near anybody at all.

I keep thinking about getting back into archery. I've got a 50lb compound with newish string. Modern compounds are much superior. I got really good at archery and probably should get up off my butt and practice. Stretching the bow helps back muscles and can reduce back pain according to physical therapists (God knows I've been tortured by a bunch of them).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I got into air rifles to maintain my shooting skills and to save money and irritation. I would get very irritated looking for ammo and at the prices. Granted it did cost a bunch, due the type of air rifle I selected but at 4 to 5 cents shot, it was worth it. I typically shoot between 75 and 150 rounds per week, every week. The air rifle has paid for it self already. My air rifle can shoot and does shoot 1/2 inch, 5 shot groups (if I do my part) at 50 yards. In fact it shoots so well I am getting bored and will start shooting it at 100 yards. All the various air rife types have their plus and minus's or niches but they are fun, practical and inexpensive to shoot.

33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    British air rifles arent as powerful as the American ones but are still powerful enough to take small game should we want to, at 100 yards they are very accurate and many are still able to shoot much further than that, we have to be careful about the backdrop when shooting in case the pellet overshoots the target, it is possible to take out someones eye with a British air rifle and there have been cases of such happening.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      My Air Venturi Avenger is producing around 20 pounds. No license required.

TMT Tactical, Sep 20, 2021
  35. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Fire Arm Certificate.

TMT Tactical likes this.