A Safe Haven

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by randyt, Aug 21, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    bump

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If it goes WROL the slaughter will be beyond comprehension (in my opinion). The slaughter will start with bad people being evil, but quickly shift to the good-religious-law abiding-hard working-core of the community turning evil to feed and protect their family.

Which is why for decades I have advocated that you simply can't get far enough away from other humans it be 101% safe, but the further you can get the safer you will be. I figure six months to three years with zero human contact.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Morgan101, Radar and poltiregist like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I watched the film at the top of the thread . It struck me to be city folks in a rural area that was panicked and completely out of their element . I wouldn't say a similar scenario couldn't happen but find it unlikely . First off in a well armed country as it portrayed , the original residents would be prepared to defend their residence . Second I couldn't see people being that quick to kill other people without any logical reason . A hide out would be nice to have but it would probably have to be able to harbor you and anyone else that might be with you for at least the first two months of an S.H.T.F. event . Standing my ground and fighting would be my plan .

Morgan101 and Radar like this.
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Hard to stand your ground........now days that everyone has 300 to 500 yard firearms.

Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Like their family is starving to death, maybe some had already starved to death. I think people massively under calculate how ruthless "GOOD" people can become.

Morgan101, randyt, Radar and 2 others like this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have to go with Sourdough, it is the ruthless "Good" people that will be the major danger. The thugs and druggies will kill each other off pretty darn quick. Plus there are a heck of a lot more good people out there. Morals tend to fall away in conjunction with the waist line.

Morgan101 and randyt like this.
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Let's summarize and distill this down to a governing rule.

During conditions of uncertainty in a rapidly changing environment, when tired, possibly injured, cataloging "bad people" and "good people" has no value. People change under various conditions.

The common denominator: anticipate ALL human contact, even if only visual over a distance, as a potential threat - and adjust for this accordingly.

As an aside, ... circa a century ago when "sleep" only meant sleeping/resting and not the modern euphemism re sex, there was a lodging trade re "boarding houses".

Novelist Jack London wrote something like (from my fading memory) " Better to sleep with a sober Indian than a drunk Christian".

All humans, from the holy to the drifters, can mean danger.

Morgan101, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    stranger= danger.
    "if you don't know them, haven't worked with them or spent time with them, then don't trust them".

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think having a safe haven is a good idea. My questions would be how well do you know the area, and are you really sure about how safe it is?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in my case my safe haven is where I live.

Aerindel, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.