A Scenario. What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Keith H., May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Finally it has hit the fan, & those living in towns & cities are forced to leave or die. Luckily you are prepared, your survival gear is packed & ready to go. You do not have your own land to go to, so you have chosen an area on the map that looks suitable to your needs, i.e. it is away from town & city. You have not been there before, so you don't know what the area is like other than it is uninhabited.
    What sort of area are you looking for to set up home & what are your priorities when you find the right place?
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    First priority is security followed by water and some flat arable land.
    So I would be looking for a small river flat with some steep to precipitous area overlooking it.
    Maybe some sandstone ridges.
    Build on the sandstone ridges covertly with good cover and concealment.
    Farm the river flats and fence them and have a day camp down there but everything else is on the sandstone ridge area.
    Maintain opsec!
    Hammer and chisel to tunnel into sandstone ridges.

Build with stone, cut stone stairways etc.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    First priority is to find a defensible location, preferably one with easy access to different escape routes. Proximity to water as well as places to do other, erm, business, without attracting predators or unwanted attention would be definitely be at the top of list. My ideal location is somewhere with lots of trees and underbrush to make a hidden bed.
    Second, I'd make traps to alert me to incoming danger. After that, I'd scour the area for edible plants then do some foraging.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    tsk,tsk, going to a place you haven't been to before, only seen on a map, leaving it until something happens before you do something about it.
    if someone is serious about prepping and survival all this needs to be done BEFORE anything happens, not after.
    a bolt hole should be scouted, checked out and located, who owns it if anyone? what are its resources? plants? animals? water?
    i'm sorry, I wouldn't buy a house without viewing it first, this is exactly the same.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    You are not buying! you are squatting!
    And you should of at least google Earthed it first!;)

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree lonewolf, but I am trying to be realistic. How many people on here do you think have already scouted out an area to "bug-out" to? Not many is my guess.
    Keith.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    very few if some of the replies are anything to go by.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    They should have a place now and be stocking and getting it ready tools gear ammo even food buried ahead of time will be there when the event happens that they need to leave they are better prepared BE PREPARED !!!

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    absolutely. that's whats seperates the preppers from the sheeple.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    For realism, may I bring my husband to the scene? Okay, thanks. The first thing we would look up for is a place to build a shelter or a homebase. It can be under a good tree, meaning the tree is not very high and has a good umbrella for a crown that can protect us from the sun. Or maybe a big rock that is cleared and has no holes. With caves? We probably would use the opening only but I wouldn't dare enter. Now, when the location is settled, we would place our belongings there and explore the field.

Look for a source of water and potential food source as well. Check the terrain for the flora and fauna, that's vegetation and animals. Maybe a 2-hour exploration would give us a good evaluation of the area. Next is to build a real shelter where we can spend the night with peace of mind. Gather some branches and if there is a bamboo grove then we are lucky. The branches can be made into a makeshift roof and if there are more then we can build a wall even just one side. The rest of the wood can be used as firewood for cooking or bonfire at night.

Next step is the search for water and food. But I guess we have to take a rest for now because we are already fatigued. Okay?

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I actually have several dozen sites that are suitable depending on the situation
    All I have google maps for All have been scouted and most have been visited

I even have two sites in industrial areas that I could covertly occupy at night! Vacant warehouses owned by foreigners, good security, concrete walls, rainwater tanks, backup generators and easy enough to drive into and hide a dozen or so vehicles inside.
    If things get bad and I can not get out I will just occupy one of these warehouses! the owners wont know, security probably will have other issues to deal with than squatters!
    Police wont know because none will tell them and they will be busy elsewhere.

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Okay Corzhens. Water is going to be the most important thing you will need before you settle on an area, with water comes food, both flora & fauna.
    Well done.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Corzhens likes this.