A Shipwreck Survival Story

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Pragmatist, Jan 9, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200108-how-to-survive-being-shipwrecked-by-whales

Good morning all,

Not my personal story but the link has some points that would be useful to Preppers regardless if at sea or land.

Note the historical mention of cannibalism.

Note the expression "The hierarchy of survival".

If activating the inflation mechanism for a life raft does not not also activate on board beacons and all all other distress signals, they were not prepared.

Miscalculating water supplies gives new meaning to article's "master mariner".

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder how many preppers are also sailors? I think the number may be quite low.
    I have seen reports of similar scenarios, even if they make it to land most do not seem to have the knowledge to find food even on the sea shore.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

Probably few Preppers are mariners.

Yes the preparedness matters are about the same with some aspects mentioned in article;

- Tally supplies, recheck, recheck, recheck, ...

- Have escape plans and test them whether involving a life raft, a bicycle or sled.

- Tether oneself when at risk. This could mean a quick-release leash attached to a lifeboat - liferaft or climbing on a house roof.

- Warm up marine radio if placing children at grave risk or screw in propane cartridge into portable heater when going out in slushy weather to try to open barn door. After soaked in icy water the heater is ready.

Completely agree; This master mariner and family could not find dried seaweed and thorns on a sea shore.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    seems the family in the link didn't take enough supplies to begin with.
    the sea shore offers plenty of food, from plants to winkles to razor fish and shell fish, many rivers empty out into the sea. plenty of driftwood washed up on beaches just check the high tide mark.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    We sailor typically think differently compare to landlubber. In most case we don't consider any body of water as an obstacle or something to be afraid of. And regarding food & water our line of thinking tend to follow that of SOLAS requirement. And we also count distance in nm and knots, even my phone GPS set as such

8bPnqmEpBJl4oZIFDb9kseoedpDTdVMo.png

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  6. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    All true sailors are preppers, whether they know it or not. Not the day sailors or even the weekenders perhaps but anyone that sails any distance is ready for lack of ready resupply. They carry food, fuel, tools, and spare parts.

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

SOLAS is much better than USCG regs but here, less the professional mariners, the easiest to comply with rules are used. This area's maritime SAR missions amply clarify this.

At one time, I knew how to convert NM to Great Circle Statute Miles and vice versa. Nowadays: just round off. If there's an emergency at sea, the Government will be there to help, for free. Here, we also have a hybrid category, the "amphibs"; those who work both the land and the water with emphasis on shorelines. These folks can explain both "bearing" and "azimuth" (bot don't ask any technical questions).

The seas might be comfortable but recommend avoiding the voyage to Firey Cross Reef, China - unless having preexisting sailing permits. BP can explain. The US 7th Fleet cannot.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning F22,

Good point.

I do want to mention that since it uses Iridium net, it might be illegal in India and China and their territorial seas.

Do check if enroute to these places.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am no sailor and I therefore do not put myself into a situation where I know I will put myself at risk.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

Yet the "however" governs for the Prepper.

Recall the recent post with masses of Aussie evacuees fleeing the fires and some had to sleep on a wharf. Some were placed in boats because of the circumstances dictating this.

Knowing the basics - and the basics can come from other prep categories - of the maritime safety skills, can minimize risks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry, I don't see what maritime safety has to do with prepping on land. two completely different scenario's.
    Aussie fires have nothing to do with safety at sea.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    No such restriction at any place in the world.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Its about the MINDSET.

Those who were waiting to be evacuated from Oz bushfire were stranded on the beach

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's because they were cut off, the fires were all around them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Don't know about these 2 way radios but a Iridium sat phone will not be lawfully entering China.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    The Inreach is not a Sat phone. It's a text messenger with an SOS button. These will work when a Sat phone has a hard time getting out. And when you press the SOS button it's on all the time. A monitoring station that's staffed 24/7 will see your SOS with GPS coordinates and rely that Info. to the needed SAR in your area.

If one is interested in a Sat phone, they sell them on eBay with the calling cards.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Its US gov't ban on exporting Iridium phone to China NOT the other way around. I've been to many places carrying Inmarsat phone including mainland China without any problem (I don't go beyond polar circle so don't have any need for Iridium phone)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning F-22 and Varuna,

I can only address my experiences.

All sat phones were prohibited by foreigners in China during the 20th century. I was a joint venture ("J.V.") so, in practice, was treated like a Chinese company. Circa a few years ago, China now allows foreigners to have sat phones - Inmarsat and a couple of other brands ONLY. Iridium sat phones still prohibited. This was from my briefings...The Chinese merchants would love to sell any and all sat phones if they could.

Am aware that Inreach is not a sat phone. The cost alone makes this clear enough. The "concern" is the Iridium section of the Inreach. This is why I say not to travel in Chinese waters - unless you're briefed by competent authority on this issue. I could be wrong and matters could have changed since my briefings. Still, my acid test was that none of our insurance was valid with Iridium.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

Probably wouldn't work up there anyway due to the Sat's lateral capabilities.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Probably be best to shoot the State Department an email and ask I guess. But, I have no intention of even going an iota near Chinese hostile waters anyway. LOL I would like to own a cabin cruiser or something of its size and start in lake Michigan and go to each great lake and out to the Hudson on around the eastern seaboard and down to the Florida keys. There I shall find myself a nice looking blonde woman and take her with me on my trip on back home. LOL! :D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Iridium still work within the polar circle due to their having an entire low orbiting satellite constellation. While Inmarsat and Thuraya only operate GEO satellites

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuban-nationals-rescued-coast-guard-trapped-deserted-bahamas-island-diet

"Three Cuban nationals who were rescued this week after being marooned for 33 days on an uninhabited Bahamian island said they managed to survive on a diet of coconuts, conches and rats, reports say.

"'We were alerted to them by the flags that they actually had in addition to a large cross that they put out there for themselves,' helicopter pilot Mike Allert told WPLG.

"Allert said he decided to fly back around Anguilla Cay to investigate and a crew returned to the island later Monday to drop water, food and a radio.

"The trio was stranded on a deserted Bahamian island between Key West and Cuba, the agency posted on Twitter. A helicopter crew returned Tuesday to pick them up.

"They told officials their boat had capsized in rough waters and they were able to swim to the island.

"The two men and woman were taken to the Lower Keys Medical Center, where none appeared to have serious injuries. "
    ------------------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3240516163...1291&msclkid=3b3f059559df18d3818a65b136db72d4

upload_2021-2-10_18-43-37.png

==============================

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=survival+...3D1.0%26rg%3D963c427853a64b078bd8b94a67f6637e
    ==========================

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    eating too many coconuts will give someone "the trots", it is well known, I think the limit is about 8 coconuts. they were on an island, what about fish? crabs?

TMT Tactical likes this.