Accelerating Of Disasters

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Sep 8, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://therivernewsroom.com/2019/09/07/the-pace-of-disaster-is-accelerating-are-we-ready/

Good morning all,

Article is definitely multi-purpose. It can be used to try to grasp the public policy issues such as "beach nourishment", what is an "investment" versus an earmarked subsidy to a constituency,.. It can serve as a source of humor, ... There are other purposes.

Disasters deal with morbidity and mortality but here at article there is some humor reading "Center For Climate Integrity".

Must disagree with article's "... Florida and Louisiana face the heaviest burdens,.." It's Texas and Louisiana. Think of the refineries and related industrial facilities. Beaumont, Port Arthur Texas area has critical national infrastructure. Florida and space shots are governmental and already getting care and attention.

Can't Westchester County, NY share equally seawall costs with Manhattan, NYC ? This is not humor ...... just joking: it is !

I note the term "managed retreat".

Emily Gallagher misses a point. People in risky environments might have survival expertise but not the funds to rehab damaged roads, damaged airports, damaged hospitals, damaged police stations, ...

Well, how do southern Arizonians mitigate high-risk populations such as the elderly ? The Northeastern-ers have the knowledge but there are other priorities.

Brian and Melanie don't know about the real estate industry and why building on flood plains allowed.

Science fiction writer Arkady has not witness looting during disasters.

"spontaneous prosocial helping behavior" allows me to catalog this article under "humor". Actually, it requires me to do so ... adding subcategory "gallows humor".

Join me at the 2 part conference on prosocial helping behavior. Part 1 at Scarsdale, Westchester County, NY and part 2 at Sausalito, Marin County, Calif.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Simple answer those that live in flood area, can move or take their chances but we do not fund the rebuild plans and they can fund their own survival plans. You build on the shore line, you take your chances. you build below sea level, you take your chances. Build below the volcano, you take your chances. You think it is safe or a good investment, carry insurance and then take your chances.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TMT Tactical,

Agree and I've got an added step unless already O.B.E. Overcome By Events.

For humanitarian reasons - not hatefulness - I'd want to see a regulatory apparatus requiring those living in dangerous areas and receiving the various welfare checks eg Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Railroad Retirement Board, many more on list ...... have in place viable emergency plans to preclude placing responders at risk when dangers arrive.

One other matter: If a key official eg a Governor signs an evac order and some of the affected citizens ignore the order, I'd like to see real estate and personal property asset forfeiture. Helicopter rescues are not free.

I wrote O.B.E. because I have a hunch MAJOR changes pending in re the various checks - to include state level like CALPers, the California state pension fund.

4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do collect SS and Medicare, and I paid up front for them. Aside from that, I agree 100 percent. If the say evac and you don't --- the cost is on you. The same with hiking and getting lost, or mountain climbing and needing rescue. If you take the risk you carry the burden to pay for it. Life Flight insurance and rescue insurance. I have no problem letting folks choose and take their chances but I do have a problem with having to rescue them or bail them out.

GateCrasher likes this.
  5. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Logged in just to like this.

TMT Tactical likes this.